It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loudest Animal Is Recorded for the First Time (WOW!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Science Daily Scientists have shown for the first time that the loudest animal on earth, relative to its body size, is the tiny water boatman, Micronecta scholtzi. At 99.2 decibels, this represents the equivalent of listening to an orchestra play loudly while sitting in the front row.

Wow. 99.2 decibels from from something that is only 2 millimetres long??
That's amazing.

Science Daily The frequency of the sound (around 10 kHz) is within human hearing range and Dr. James Windmill of the University of Strathclyde, explains one clue as to how loud the animals are: "Remarkably, even though 99% of sound is lost when transferring from water to air, the song is so loud that a person walking along the bank can actually hear these tiny creatures singing from the bottom of the river."

Imagine if one of these badboys found its way near your eardrum and busted out a tune.

Science Daily

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Interesting but was a little disappointed there was no sound recording to go along with that BIG SCIENCE TALK hehehe just curious is all.....

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
That's nothing. Check this out:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Lemme try that again:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Cool, I live in the UK so have been familiar with water boatmen since I was a toddler. I even caught a couple back then. I was never aware of this epic noise they make. I agree though, a sound recording would be nice so I know what to listen out for.

I have probably heard them before but just not made the connection.

new topics

top topics

join