It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Shows Genetic Link between Vitamin D and Disease Prevention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am glad to hear the good news about vitamin D, since I don't get outside as much and am taking vitamin D. I think that after this report people should go get them some vitamin D whether it is the sun or a pill. Sunlight absorbed by the skin produces vitamin D for us human, which is a good thing. I love the sun and want to thank our star for helping to keep us healthy.

www.curezone.com...

In the study just published in the journal Genome Research, scientists mapped the points at which vitamin D interacts with our DNA and identified over 200 genes directly influenced by vitamin D. The study scientists used new DNA sequencing technology to create a map of vitamin D receptor binding. The vitamin D receptor is a protein which is activated by vitamin D. The protein attaches itself to DNA and influences what proteins are made from our genetic code. The researchers found 2,776 binding sites for the vitamin D receptor along the length of the human genome. The binding sites were found to be unusually concentrated near a number of genes which have been associated with susceptibility to autoimmune conditions such as MS, Crohn’s disease, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as to cancers such as chronic lymphocytic leukemia and colorectal cancer. The study also demonstrated that vitamin D had a significant effect on the activity of 229 genes including IRF8, which has been previously associated with MS, and PTPN2, which has been associated with Crohn’s disease and type 1 diabetes.

Benefits from taking vitamin D

Another study author, Sreeram Ramagopalan, added "Considerations of vitamin D supplementation as a preventative measure for these diseases are strongly warranted.” A wealth of studies on vitamin D have reported many benefits of the esesential vitamin, including: • It is crucial for the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorous, which have various functions, especially the maintenance of healthy bones. • It is an immune system regulator. • It may be an important way to arm the immune system against disorders like the common cold. • It may reduce the risk of developing multiple sclerosis. • Vitamin D may have a key role in helping the brain to keep working well in later life • Vitamin D is linked to maintaining a healthy body weight • It can reduce the severity and frequency of asthma symptoms as well as the , and also the likelihood of hospitalizations due to asthma. • It has been shown to reduce the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis in women. • A form of vitamin D could be one of our body's main protections against damage from low levels of radiation. • People with adequate levels of vitamin D have a significantly lower risk of developing cancer.

edit on 2-7-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I was diagnosed last year that I was severely Vitamin D deficient. It has led to Severe Adrenal burnout.

I found out that all I needed is about 10 mins between 11am and 3pm on a sunny day and 5 mins more is it is a cloudy day. I am fair skinned with light coloured eyes.
You can find out what you personally need just out in a web search for Vitamin D calculator.

I also found out mushrooms have Vit D, so do eels and reindeer meat. i have never had eels and I think they sound disgusting.

Be aware also that magnesium, calcium and zinc levels can also make one deficient in Vit D, as these are needed to be able to utilise Vit D.

Good thread, so S&F

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, now I am finally vindicated.
Glad
I get plenty of sun and never use sunscreen.
It is funny how the goverment can take something that has been ok for centuries
and suddenly declare it unsafe.
What's more is that people will blindly believe it without questioning it.

Here is the logic I use and maybe it will help you too.

SUN - Nature; Natural; People have been exposed to it for thousands of years.
SUNSCREEN - Man made; Product of a system which I no longer trust; suspected of actually causing/accelerating cancer.

Link to study

new topics

join