It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says ending tax breaks required to cut deficit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Yes stats can be fun and quite malleable. I do not believe I ever suggested otherwise.

Ok, so your stat is null and void.
What else you got.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Cop-out?
No, Please explain.

No praise needed.
But, render unto to Cesar is more like how you want the Govt run.

Never said anything about "render unto Caesar."

Thanks, now I got to laugh like a little girl too. Been a while for me, how about you? Damn if you cannot even read what I wrote a little then what are you doing?

Cop out as in I asked you to explain something to me and you came back and told me to explain it to you instead. That would be the cop-out.

link   

edit on 3-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Kitilani

Originally posted by mishigas
Exactly. Corporations don't pay taxes. Consumers do. So when people call for higher taxes on the rich, they are volunteering to pick up the tab.

GE got a $3.2 billion dollar tax refund.
Name the person(s) that refund was issued from the government to.

That's just an example of how screwed up the tax code is.

link   
reply to post by macman

Nope, the government is not a business. Are you perhaps though, one of the many conservative sorts who think it ought to be run like a business? It's a pretty prevalent meme in your circles, I hear

My point is simply that once the money leaves your hand, it is not yours anymore. it belongs to the business, or, in this particular, the treasury. While you can try to elect politicians who will spend that money in the way you want to, the fact is, you have no more control over those dollars and cents in the treasury.
edit on 3/7/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Sigh. Do you have a checking account, or do you live off an allowance? We're talking about basic finances here. Remedial classes, even.

If you are in debt, you will not close that debt by ceasing your spending. You might stop the debt from getting any bigger, but that still leaves you in debt. To close the debt you need to bring in more money.

This is why "Austerity measures" have completely failed in every nation they have been imposed on. Ukraine, South Africa, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Haiti, Jamaica, South Korea, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and you watch, Greece next.

Some spending does need to be cut, sure. In particular, pure waste like the Defense Budget (I'm sorry to all the armchair warriors, but spending millions on a missile, doomed to blow up, is wasteful) needs to be slashed like mad. But this will not deal with hte budget problems already at hand. for that you need income.

That income is best delivered by repealing the goddamned ludicrous tax cuts that the Bush Administration threw out there. "I'm going to ramp up spending tenfold and then cut taxes by the same amount!" was not a secure financial maneuver.

Comparing the two is a way to fog the issue. My family can't print money, can't require my neighbor to subsidize me nor institute policy.
Cutting spending by the Fed Govt is the best way out of this, not requiring more money to come in.
To increase taxes suggests that the spending must continue.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
My parents didn't make enough money to pay taxes for the last 10 years of their lives as wage-earners, yet they earned taxable income. They weren't even required to file a return. There does exist a lower minimum whereby taxes are not taken from you. If the rich have to pay "their fair share" why don't the poor? Or are we supposed to just suck it up and give our portion, we the middle- and upper-class, to them out of some humanitarian mission? They don't pay into the system, yet they benefit from it. How is that fair to us?

The argument being made here appears to be that everyone must be equal and must pay equally. Are you "tax the rich" champions of freedom advocating an unequal taxation system against one class of people? If not, you need to state your case more clearly. If so, you're complete hypocrites.

/TOA

You are confusing taxes paid with year end taxes owed. This mistake is getting old.

My case is that everyone should pay their fair share which does not happen now. I have no off shore tax havens or huge farm subsidies or private jet tax rebates helping my wallet out because I am not rich enough. You parents paid taxes whether they owed in April or not.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Cop-out?
No, Please explain.

No praise needed.
But, render unto to Cesar is more like how you want the Govt run.

Never said anything about "render unto Caesar."

Thanks, now I got to laugh like a little girl too. Been a while for me, how about you? Damn if you cannot even read what I wrote a little then what are you doing?

Cop out as in I asked you to explain something to me and you came back and told me to explain it to you instead. That would be the cop-out.

No, I said that. It appears that is how you want the Govt run. Way to twist it though.

Pleas explain the now null and void graphical statistic you provided.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
One more I am done, don't trust any of them,

On February 16, 2001, just 3 weeks after his inauguration, President George W. Bush met with Mexican President Vicente Fox to discuss the terms of the Partnership for Prosperity Agreement (with Mexico). (See: Partnership for Prosperity Agreement (with Mexico))

The P4P agreement was signed on September 6, 2001.

On October 26, 2001, Bush signed the USA PATRIOT Act of 2001 into law. Contained in section 326(b) was the provision that allowed US banks to accept the Mexican Matricula Consular card as valid ID for opening a bank account.

read ,more,
www.freerepublic.com...

www.fdic.gov...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DemonicAngelZero
Does little Charles count? He's an actual person I know, unfortunately he's my sisters longtime boyfriend. His names not really Charles, but he was who I was thinking of when I typed that. He gets social security, food stamps, and makes about $10,000 a year (including what he gets from the government). His apartment is even government subsidized housing. As for him paying taxes, all I know is that he was bragging about it when I was complaining about not being able to find my paperwork to file Income Tax. He was laughing and saying he "don't even have to pay taxes".

No, I didn't do extensive homework. Yes, I can easily be wrong. Yes, he could just be an idiot (which, you know... he is) No, I'm certainly not going to argue over it because it's pointless to do so. My post was just an offhand remark after reading some of the comments that made me chuckle and some that made me cringe. I starred you anyways, even though your reply felt a bit excited

So you do not really know what you are talking about, you just took his word for it? Tell me what leads you to believe this man on welfare is the financial genius you think he is that you would hang on his words like that? Everyone pays taxes.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

Nope, the government is not a business. Are you perhaps though, one of the many conservative sorts who think it ought to be run like a business? It's a pretty prevalent meme in your circles, I hear

My point is simply that once the money leaves your hand, it is not yours anymore. it belongs to the business, or, in this particular, the treasury. While you can try to elect politicians who will spend that money in the way you want to, the fact is, you have no more control over those dollars and cents in the treasury.
edit on 3/7/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

The Govt should be run at a zero sum gain. No red, no black.
And no, once the money is taken from my paycheck, it is not the Govt's as the Govt did not earn it, nor produce anything from it. To run in the Black means they took too much and should be returned.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Exactly. Corporations don't pay taxes. Consumers do. So when people call for higher taxes on the rich, they are volunteering to pick up the tab.

Anyone gonna take a shot at this?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Yes stats can be fun and quite malleable. I do not believe I ever suggested otherwise.

What else you got.

What stat is my stat?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Kitilani

That's just an example of how screwed up the tax code is.

You mean an example of how most of your posts are pretty much complete BS?
Either you can name the man or what you originally posted is flat out wrong. It is pretty black and white.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
My parents didn't make enough money to pay taxes for the last 10 years of their lives as wage-earners, yet they earned taxable income. They weren't even required to file a return. There does exist a lower minimum whereby taxes are not taken from you. If the rich have to pay "their fair share" why don't the poor? Or are we supposed to just suck it up and give our portion, we the middle- and upper-class, to them out of some humanitarian mission? They don't pay into the system, yet they benefit from it. How is that fair to us?

The argument being made here appears to be that everyone must be equal and must pay equally. Are you "tax the rich" champions of freedom advocating an unequal taxation system against one class of people? If not, you need to state your case more clearly. If so, you're complete hypocrites.

/TOA

You are confusing taxes paid with year end taxes owed. This mistake is getting old.

My case is that everyone should pay their fair share which does not happen now. I have no off shore tax havens or huge farm subsidies or private jet tax rebates helping my wallet out because I am not rich enough. You parents paid taxes whether they owed in April or not.

I agree that everyone should pay fairly. A Flat Tax or everyone pays say 13% out of income, period.
I don't agree with Corps getting discounts, Obama providing tax cuts for jet purchases, GE getting kickbacks and so on.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Good reply. The MBS sham just smacks of corruption with a glazing of greedy robo-signings. They knew the signers would default, but even so, it still created 'credit' for them, and when they reposessed it they recieved tax credits. Then the property was cycled over again. Turns out, there were multiple mortgages on the same property (even after the home was destroyed) creating tenfold asset on 1 empty lot. I watched a documentary on CNBC last night about Goldman Sachs, and how they have had their hands in most every national downfall including overleveraging of the housing markets. But the sad part of it is that the Fed Reserve and Treasury went through a gamut of Goldman dignitaries, who also found themselves in presidential advisory capacities. I'm sure there were wave after wave of tax evasion by both the govt and the major holding companies. They kept the profits from their 'dark pools' and wrote off their losses into the taxpayer ledgers. The best way for them to make us pay for their indiscressions was to levy unrepresented taxes. Therefore, on the Govt Sachs books, the economy looked good, although it was fractured and brittle.
It seems that the tax breaks are really just banker bonuses to be put on our tab.

link   
reply to post by David9176

Absolutely assinine way of thinking. Using those same 2007 stats, somewhere between 43-47% pay no federal income tax. How is that sharing the load? The top 1% paid 37%, the top 5% paid 57% and the top 10% paid 68% of federal tax revenue. Unbelievable that you feel entitled to the earings of someone else's hard work. Why is it that all this millionaire and billionaire talk starts at $250k? Because it's all about class warfare, followed by class envy.

link   

What else you got.

What stat is my stat?

From the Graph you provided, but more then likely did not create.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

No, I said that. It appears that is how you want the Govt run. Way to twist it though.

Well you assumed wrong after totally f***ing up my quote. Not going to address that are ya?

Pleas explain the now null and void graphical statistic you provided.

That particular graph has been proven null? I missed that post.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

You assume more and more in every topic you post in. It has to get tired of being wrong so much.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join