It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

Seriously though we do have almost 36,000,000 Irish Americans according to the US Census.

factfinder.census.gov...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As a Brit I agree there isn't really a lot in it. I've visited the USA a lot for work and pleasure. Its easy to adapt in both directions.

The biggest difference in favour of the USA is the availability and cheapness of land to build a home on.

This comes from better land availability and more relaxed planning laws.

I could quite happily take my life savings in 30 years and retire to Nevada, except we're not welcome :-)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

please do not confuse our dictators actions with those of good people here in America. i for one do not support 99% of what we do outside our borders and besides, borders are just artificial constructs made to keep us from the truth. we are all just one big dysfunctional family. America is not better than England, England is not better than America. we are all equal, brothers and sisters.

That goes for all other countries as well.

however being an American i appreciate the 3 day weekend and the BBQ's

edit on 2-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
reply to post by Misoir

Unfortunatly if you lived here you would like the European Culture more, Ill admit it , it is a nice place to live but mainland europe is much nicer.
edit on 2-7-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

You lost your damn mind.

I lived outside London (Surrey) and travelled a lot (work and vacation).

Although I did like Italy, nothing came remotely close to the technological/cyber community, pub culture, and general coolness of England.
I flat out hated france..which suprised me considering I thought I would love it (nice architecture, crappy people).

If your a history nut, or just enjoy cool architecture, the tiny island truely does have it all. the only thing missing are decent beaches (but meh, pop over to southern france for a weekend if your starving for sand)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
I could quite happily take my life savings in 30 years and retire to Nevada, except we're not welcome :-)

What do you mean 'we're not welcome'? Surely you do not mean the people here would not accept you? I assume you are referring to our tiresome immigration laws. You're nation is hell to immigrate to, my cousin can vouch for that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Perhaps it is some uninformed misconception of mine about England and Ireland but I always pictured their small villages as very quiant in pastures with much of the town gathering around at the local pub for a drink at night. I am sure it is an exaggeration of reality but it is something I absolutely love so I will hold onto that incorrect belief as it harms no one.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Ultimate, the post that the op has asked, is why one country is better than the other. And to be truthful in the matter, it comes down to the following things:
Since the rise of the United States, up until the decline in its government, the US has lead the charge in just about every aspect of life and accomplishments around the world, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge and achievement. To quote JFK, “We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”

The other point, and it may seem terrible to mention in this day and age, but would be groups like WBC and other hate groups, who spew their rhetoric, as distasteful as it is, they have that right, as do we all to speak and say what we so choose, without fear of reprisal or law suit, or jail. That alone, the ability to speak an idea and commit to it, that drive and very nature is what sets both countries apart.

Right, agreed.
I think the actual contribution to the world that America gives (or gave anyhow) is just a concept that people from all over, if pushed collectively and equally in an area, can actually progress things verses trying to keep anything pure of a single race or culture.
American melting pot concept is not new...in ancient history, any nation that embraced new and different people and ideas tended to be jewels of the world for science, industry, etc...

So now we have issues...well, we always had issues, so no change there...I think that the idea itself though should not be forgotten...united we stand.

link   
reply to post by Misoir

Sorry, yes. It was the near impossibility of the immigration process I meant. Not the people !!

Never been made to feel anything less than welcome by american individuals.

link   

Have you been to Germany? Thats the future. England has issues with drinking culture that European countrys dont. Thats why I would quite happly live there over here any day, also the roads and amminities are far better than in the UK

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Since the rise of the United States, up until the decline in its government, the US has lead the charge in just about every aspect of life and accomplishments around the world, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge and achievement.

Pushing boundaries all right.....and leading the charge straight down the gurgler

Last time I checked the US was badly in debt, has little manufacturing capability left, is involved in more wars than it can count and is busy bankrupting itself and the rest of the world.

Something to be proud of?

The other point, and it may seem terrible to mention in this day and age, but would be groups like WBC and other hate groups, who spew their rhetoric, as distasteful as it is, they have that right, as do we all to speak and say what we so choose, without fear of reprisal or law suit, or jail. That alone, the ability to speak an idea and commit to it, that drive and very nature is what sets both countries apart.

Freedom of speech? Seriously, do Americans think they have more freedom of speech than other countries, particularly Western countries? If the Brits, or us Aussies, or the Canadians didn't have those same rights - how on Earth do you think they are on the Internet speaking to you? We have the same freedom of speech rights as you Americans do, despite what you are told by your government and schools.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Perhaps it is some uninformed misconception of mine about England and Ireland but I always pictured their small villages as very quiant in pastures with much of the town gathering around at the local pub for a drink at night. I am sure it is an exaggeration of reality but it is something I absolutely love so I will hold onto that incorrect belief as it harms no one.

Oh, they got that also

We had a small cottage in the south, Thatch roof, sheep on the fields, a small town center with a butcher shop, a couple other tiny shops, and a pub...it was like going back in time.
the countryside is dotted with these small villages.

But the cities, especially in and around London, is a nice mishmash of old architecture with high technology and cutting edge displays. they do preserve the historic areas, but walk inside and many places are like walking into the future.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Britain is superior to the US because we move with the times and progressively adapt our society through the application of logic.

The US is stuck in a time-warp; it's citizens willingly burden themselves with a restrictive 230-year-old piece of paper. Many Americans practically worship slave-owning rapists like Jefferson. 'nuff said.

Americans inhibit their own country's development by unquestioningly and uncritically accepting antiquated, primitive and backwardass religious and cultural norms, rather than basing the workings of their society on logic and rationality.

No, I can't think of too many way that Britain isn't superior to the US. Sorry to burst the bubble of any typically ignorant and arrogant Americans.

link   
reply to post by justwokeup

The immigration process is a real pain. From what I got out of my cousin who moved to the UK this year your employer there has to prove the job you are doing is one which cannot be performed by anothe readily available member of the Schengen Area, something like that. Then you have to jump through more hoops. I am getting pretty fed up with the United States and always loved cold dreary weather and the British people so if it were not for the hassles of the immigration process I would probably be applying for a job in England today.

link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Since the rise of the United States, up until the decline in its government, the US has lead the charge in just about every aspect of life and accomplishments around the world, pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge and achievement.

Pushing boundaries all right.....and leading the charge straight down the gurgler

Last time I checked the US was badly in debt, has little manufacturing capability left, is involved in more wars than it can count and is busy bankrupting itself and the rest of the world.

Something to be proud of?

Not sure how you checked that
Isn't the australian internet fully censored now? guess they haven't completed the task.

Australians really shouldn't be complaining about other nations when your own government see's the entire population as children (see: video games and violence censorship)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

Have you been to Germany? Thats the future. England has issues with drinking culture that European countrys dont. Thats why I would quite happly live there over here any day, also the roads and amminities are far better than in the UK

Sadly, out of all the places I went, I never managed to get to Germany...will go eventually, have a couple friends from there, and have been taught some basic communication skills..

So no, beyond google earth street view, germany is not known to me..

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I am not a big fan of urban areas so other than flying in and a quick scenic tour for a day or so I would not spend much time in English urban centers. For me the real beauty lies in the countryside with the people of England who are not subject to the never-ending change of the big city, who have preserved the traditional English lifestyle with few adjustements, and have the most wonderful small communities with great scenery.

Actually I better stop talking about this because it just makes me more upset that I have no chance of ever moving there. At least I can still visit.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well you're a real peach today, wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

So now we have issues...well, we always had issues, so no change there...I think that the idea itself though should not be forgotten...united we stand.

But this is the point mate, when any other country has issues it has a small effect but not anywhere near as widespread or as hard as when America does. When America burps, the rest of the world feels it. Then we have to sit here and hear excuses as to why we should just lump it because America is the best and blah blah blah.

We get sick of it mate. I don't hate the American people - but I'm sick and tired of hearing "America is the greatest" spurt out of their mouths like bloody parrots 365 days a year. It's not jealousy - if you were us you would understand. It's like the bigger kids at school constantly punching the small kids shoulders and laughing at how they are a better football player than the small kid. Eventually the smaller kid gets tired of it and either studies hard and ends up being their boss, or buys a gun and starts firing......

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
The main issue I have with it is, joking or not, it's still yet another American saying that their country is great and almighty and blah blah blah. If it were say the French or the Kiwis saying it - yeah it would be a laugh and everyone would have a good time. But in the instances of America saying it - everyone else just rolls their eyes and thinks "here we go again....."

Why is it OK to have America bashing threads but not pro America threads???
Anyhoo, I think you miss the point of the humor in this thread... it's a joke mate, get over yourself. Most Americans like the British, if you hate us... oh well. Happy 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

And there you have it the reason why the worlds dislikes America. (I could have said hate but unlike your country I can show compassion

Just curious what you call it when we pour billions into countries when there is a catastrophe? We drop food and water into disaster areas early on, before there is access. Then we send our people, our cadaver dogs, medical supplies, whatever is needed. Earthquakes, tsunami's, whatever, we're there.

What do you call that?

Misoir: I'm southern and I have perfect teeth thank you so much. PERFECT. Strong, straight, white healthy teeth.
Stereotype much?

Happy fourth of July, Sat. You and your sensational thread. lol.

One thing: The English have it all over us with language. We took it, and we ruined it.

edit on 7/2/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join