It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
America must be great, that's why so many Americans don't have passports, no need to go anywhere else, right?
Well, unless it's to start an war.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Thing is ... the 4th of July isn't even the day the ex-colonials should be celebrating anyway.

Because independence was declared by the Continental Congress on the 2nd of July 1776.

John Adams wrote to his missus "the Second of July, 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival".

And most of those "brave revolutionary heroes" didn't even sign the declaration until the first week of August 1776, presumably because they were hedging their bets. It's a wonder the US Navy today doesn't have a ship named "USS Indecisive" or "USS I Crapped My Pants".

And the good ol' Liberty Bell, clanging away on the 4th as the nativos partied the night away. That didn't happen at all ... there's no historical record of the bell being rung that night.

Half the crap written by Americans about this event is all make believe, "historic revisionism", call it what you will.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I've never paid for a tv license in my life.
Been getting letters from them for years telling me they were coming round soon lol.[

And the weather can be alright it's currently 21°Cwhere I am, which is alright.
edit on 3/7/11 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Not a troll thread with a thread title like that, are you serious? Trying to create some kind of divide are you? I thought you had more imagination, Saturnfx, my respect for you has now decreased.

The thread name certainly gets most ridiculous title of the month award and the idea behind the thread is pathetic also.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Not a troll thread with a thread title like that, are you serious? Trying to create some kind of divide are you? I thought you had more imagination, Saturnfx, my respect for you has now decreased.

The thread name certainly gets most ridiculous title of the month award and the idea behind the thread is pathetic also.

Woah, have you read the entire thread? I guess not.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Happy Independence Day. I don't begrudge you; it was all so long ago I hardly remember it. Couple of things you will never be able to change though is that we will always be Mummy and you are stuck with our language.

There are obviously plusses and minuses on both sides but for me a couple of things are important :-

(a) Since 1948 we have a National Health Service which means that no citizen ever has to worry about falling sick and not being able to afford treatment.

(b) I think we are fortunate in preserving our monarchy. This being ATS I expect posters to line up and rubbish that so I am posting this poll which shows 78% support for the monarchy (a figure politicians would die for) :-

news.bbc.co.uk...

They are a great unifying factor in our national life and a check on an overweening government getting too full of itself.

You can get rid of a monarchy and go to a Republic but you can't reverse that. We still have the option.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by NotTheOne

I've read the entire thread and agree with everything he said because my respect for saturn as also decreased. I enjoyed reading his threads/posts in the past but unfortunatly, this was/is a disgrace. It's a divide we do not need.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Many years ago, an old guy I knew said something that, even to this day, I don't know if he was joking or not " the USA is great, the UK is great, trouble is, the USA is full of foreigners, and the UK is full of English" Even now, after all those years, I still don't get it.

Knowing what the nationality the guy was would help in understanding it.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
tisa stupid anology, comparing one country to another on the fact they have to pay a tv license....
dont want to get into a bash america thread there are good and bad points in both countries.....

here is a few for thought....

culture... america has a young culture and leaves a lot to be desired... culture is not something that can be bought..

the square mile... has more money go through it than tokyo and wall street together....

we have a free health service.. priceless....

the british are more worldly... we are exposed to different cultures far more than our american cousins... we get better news on tv and are better read....

we eat far better food.......

make better music...

me cud go on........

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

One TV License covers all sets in a household.
Anyone of 18 yrs and over can apply for a shotgun certificate. You dont have to be a farmer. If you wish to own firearms, you need to apply for a firearms license.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Saturn, that sounds like the UK already has a nationalized telecom industry. I bet that is where we are headed if the current admin has its way. I know there are people in ICANN who are Progressive enough to think that way, and at least one there is definitely an Obama supporter(I heard it through the grapevine). So, that seems to be the story, unless there is some other answer. Thanks for bringing this up. Obama has talked about providing broadband to every person, and all this business of trying to regulate the Internet and converting everything from analog to digital looks like an attempt at regulating the entire telecom industry. I wonder what the UK broadband Internet is like if that is what they do just with tv transmissions. It also makes me wonder if they use mainly satellite, like so many of the countries in the Mideast and North Africa.
edit on 3-7-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I'll give you a bit more:

Much more natural resources - including fresh water

Cheaper clothes.

Driving on the right side of the road

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
tisa stupid anology, comparing one country to another on the fact they have to pay a tv license....
dont want to get into a bash america thread there are good and bad points in both countries.....

here is a few for thought....

culture... america has a young culture and leaves a lot to be desired... culture is not something that can be bought..

the square mile... has more money go through it than tokyo and wall street together....

we have a free health service.. priceless....

the british are more worldly... we are exposed to different cultures far more than our american cousins... we get better news on tv and are better read....

we eat far better food.......

make better music...

me cud go on........

Thank goodness for 4th of July Independence fireworks and barbecues, or waffle cones, or we would have no culture huh! There's John Phillips Sousa, and Aaron Copeland too. I can do without Irving Berlin. We have jazz too, from the Great Depression. Who needs a fancy opera house in Italy when we have the New York Met? Oh wait, that's a borrowed culture from those who came over on Ellis Island. Most opera is Italian anyway and not English.Or were you thinking of the punk rock stuff? That is not Old Culture either. We borrowed Yoga from India too. But we do have quite a health food industry. Who needs old crumbling walls to have culture? Isn't Starbucks on every corner enough?
Oh and you are better read....that's why you say "me cud go on". Yah that's great grammar!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

i would like to live in miami again but only for a short time

Google Video Link

edit on (3/7/11) by ashwhy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Really?

A stereotypical post under the auspices of the 4th July turned into a territorial peeing contest?

Sorry...but that's sad and divisive.

Its even sadder seeing people buying into the stereotypes.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It would be nice to express appreciation for the things you appreciate about your country without having to make a negative comparison to another one.

This 'one nation is better/worse than another' belongs to the old paradigm. It's shameful that we aren't all living in the abundance which is rightfully ours - and it's shameful that some countries are wealthy at the expense of exploiting others.

Time to make a paradigm shift, OP, and realise that we are all one and need to make that happen in our world.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by David291
It's clearly a troll thread even if he says otherwise ...

Nah, it's just a bit of fun....and totally moot, because we Scots pwn you all

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Here's another version of Aaron Copeland but with DisneyWorld and baseball stadiums(yah baseball is ours too), Oh yah and the Bill of Rights! How about THAT culture.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

I can't say I disagree with that statement ...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Have I missed something. I never took the post as divisive but have read it all from the start and enough of the respondents have looked upon it with humour to make it an enjoyable thread and a nice break from some of the more serious threads on ATS. The rest of you well here's my thoughts.............first stand up away from the machine..that's it good. Now take the stick out.........now sit back down, isn't that more comfortable. Now go ahead and type.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join