It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
List of British invention :-

Click me You dummies

Without us(UK) you're nothing

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly, reffered how we used our Tiny brain.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LulzCode6

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I live in the UK. Born and bred here, and wouldn't want to live in ANY other country. I've visited the U.S. a couple of times....purely to meet up with some youtube friends.....would never have bothered going there otherwise......and hopefully will never go there again.

One of the main reasons I love it here is because of the weather!! I look at all the things that many other countries have to put up with......several feet of snow or unbearably hot weather, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, monsoons. I consider we are very lucky

Yes, we have quite a bit of rain sometimes, but we also get times when drought threatens, as in my area at the moment. We have many lovely sunny days and blue skies, and I don't believe I have ever seen any of these chemtrails that I hear/read about.
Where I live we don't get snow very often, and usually when we do it clears pretty quick.

The U.K. is getting pretty crowded, as so many people seem to want to come here.....so it can't be that bad!!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

That game you call footbal.... (but its not played with your feet) , give me a break...(after all we like to break things)
Try having a game of rugby without the helmets and 6 inches of padding and lets se if you can stand after 5 minutes of playing it...

plus, "world series"??? (twisted) when only you lot only play in it... youve called it that to make it sound like bigger and better than what it is...

should of called it lets pass a ball around, pad ourselfs out so we dont get any booboo's and spend half most of the game standing doing nothing shouting numbers sometimes

World Series.... Please

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I was saying that the focus of our high school (pre 18 year old education) is focused on the maths and sciences, and the history of this nation primarily...there is world history taught, but equal time is given
aka, you will know a year of what happened to this young nation, and a year of the rest of the world and all time
then 2 more years of various...point being, you can not cram in even the major events of the world in the time given...so, the american kid is taught specifics about the nation they live in, and very general aspects of the rest of the world.

This is a shame, in school I was taught much not just about world history per se, but also about current events, so I grew up being well aware of what was going on the world around me. Also, in most of the places I've visited, with exception of the U.S., most people will kind of look down on you if you are not thoroughly aware of world issues.

Ya, my pet peeve are partisan threads
I totally hate it...its nonsense, it suckers me in often, and its not why I came to ATS.
I become grumpy and if I spend too much time in them, I end up losing my composure..yet it is hard to avoid.

But, well...there will not be any censoring of subjects because some members simply dislike the general context...thats not what ATS is about..so, you might as well just leave and save yourself some rightous indignation...because there will be plenty of anti-american threads, pro-american threads, anti and pro israel threads, etc etc etc..

I see mainly pro-American threads more than anything else, but you're right, I shouldn't get sucked into them. It's just that they're so common, and I almost never see it from other countries.

I agree..irrational mindsets and posting is lame..however, debate and jabbing one another in the name of good spirited friendly competition is always welcome.

The way I see it, it transcends friendly banter to become a thinly disguised battle for cultural supremacy. Maybe it gets lost in translation a bit though, not sure.

So, your tolerant of say...french people whom insist on disrespect, or chinese, but not americans?
Bit bigoted if you ask me.

No, actually anyone who goes beyond showing simple pride in their nation to the point where they insist on shoving it down everyone else's throats. Some Australians do this as well, but it is much more common from U.S. Americans, and hardly ever displayed so ostentatiously from nationals of other countries.The reason I referred only to the U.S. was because that is the topic at hand.

There is a difference between insult and analysis
You are saying threads...chatter on the internet...text is having physical and mental consequences on you.
That is going far beyond the passionate distaste for a subject, that is taking it personally, taking it far beyond anything I could possibly do
and that IS a sign of something going wrong deeper than just a crappy day.

Either that or I am just drunk on too many breakfast martinis. No seriously though, I did let this get to me too much, but all this over zealous patriotism does still bother me. And I'm not insane. Although I do have Irish blood in me.

I totally envy you. Not only are you paid to travel, but to uncover really cool stuff,
What would you say is the most fascinating place you have been?
Its America, isn't it...

(I will force you to smile at it eventually...or explode)

But seriously, what is the job of a geologist today? what is the "hot spots" in the world at the moment?

Yes, the most interesting place I have been is in America.... South and Central America, that is!

I work in oceanography, I analyse seismic patterns on the seafloor. Geologists are like cockroaches, they're everywhere in practically every field. It's a pretty down to earth occupation, hence why it's a very popular career choice.

To surmise... I just wish U.S. Americans would stop feeling the need to reassure themselves that they are "better" than other nations. It really gets on my nerves. Have you not heard of modesty? And is such rabid patriotism really drilled into your heads like that?

edit on 3-7-2011 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

OK, normally I wouldn't nit-pick about something like this but, since you brought it up in a rant;

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

Shouldn't that read: AN Independence Day Thread?

You know..
You are the first person whom noticed that. lol.
I totally killed the title, didn't notice it of course until it was well past the time I could change it...but meh, nobody else seemed to pick up on it
bah!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The main two reasons that America is better than England are:

1. They sell toothbrushes and toothpaste in America.
2. American women usually shave their legs and armpits.

USA USA USA
edit on 3-7-2011 by IAmAnAlien because: hi there

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Can't we as cousins, brothers, extended family just despise the french together?

*holds hands with one another*

Kumby-yah!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
The main two reasons that America is better than England are:

1. They sell toothbrushes and toothpaste in America.
2. American women usually shave their legs and armpits.

USA USA USA

Brought a tear to my eye.

Hey let's go blow stuff up!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

It has never been the case where you pay a licence for every single tv always one licence per house hold so if you payed for everysingle tv you was robbed.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Sticking up for my fellow countrymen here (all in good jest)

England
is better than America
because...

1) We speak English.

2) We can have a conversation at normal audio levels without interspersing it with "HELL YEAH" "ALRIGHT" and "USA,USA" etc...

3) We don’t do silly high fives; we simply shake hands like grown ups.

4) We do not believe what our government tells us.

5) We are educated.

6) Our homes don’t have wheels.

7) The Banjo is banned under common decency laws.

8) Although marrying cousins is legal it is not widely accepted.

9) We don’t have to have our national flag on everything we own.

10) We know the meaning of the word “Humble”.

11) We realise that there are other countries in the world.

12) We can “walk” to our shops (Remember that one America?? Walking??)

13) Our Queen (God bless her) is actually the ruler of the entire world, unlike Obama who just runs America!.

14) When you look into our eyes you see the sane, calm and tranquil look of a pedigree... Not the cross-eyed, insane, and slightly angry look of a mongrel.

15) We drink Tea.

16) We know which fork is for starters.

17) We know which spoon is for desert.

18) If we ever lost a War we would never make a thousand movies about it so that we could collectively wallow in self-pity

19) When we win wars we have a dignified parade which involves the crowd quietly waving flags and clapping politely.

20) We invented Comedy Sarcasm and Irony

21) We are the only country in the world that does actually LOVE America and Americans

Peace

edit on 3-7-2011 by Muckster because: I am an Englishman who cannot spell

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

22) You share the family tooth.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

13) Our Queen (God bless her) is actually the ruler of the entire world, unlike Obama who just runs America!.

Too funny. You actually did a nice job of pointing out what Americans are like in this post.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

LOL - Yes we do

Leave our tooth alone

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
oh yeah and we invented all your sports, the ones only you guys play now.

True, our sports may indeed have traces back to England, however....we simply perfected them

May I present to you
Lingerie Football League

Oh! I say old chap...rather! One had never given the colonies much thought before but Jeeves is at this very moment attending to one's packing.
How could one have overlooked such a hotbed of artistic, cultural and scientific creativity (how does the lingerie stay on in the tackle, pure genious, if a little misplaced hurrumph), well it's simply beyond one. Letter to the Times before departure I assure you old chap, how could they keep us so misinformed about such a gentle culture loving people is beyond comprehension and if such heights of achievement are anything to go by then one swears on the books of Bacon,Shakespeare, Sir Isaac Newton and Tom Paine that surely there can be no finer place to live.
Yours etc
The Right Honorable Empiricism.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
1) We speak English.

We speak 'Merican.

2) We can have a conversation at normal audio levels without interspersing it with "HELL YEAH" "ALRIGHT" and "USA,USA" etc...

Federal law. We have to do that.

3) We don’t do silly high fives; we simply shake hands like grown ups.

We invented the fist-bump with the splayed fingers.

4) We do not believe what our government tells us.

Our government says you're lying.

5) We are educated.

I don't need triggernometry. I already know how to shoot.

6) Our homes don’t have wheels.

Then how can you do NASCAR?

7) The Banjo is banned under common decency laws.

Your loss. (hee-yuk)

8) Although marrying cousins is legal it is not widely accepted.

We aren't french for gods sake!

9) We don’t have to have our national flag on everything we own.

Then how do you know what nationality you are?

10) We know the meaning of the word “Humble”.

We know the word. We're the BEST at it!

11) We realise that there are other countries in the world.

More Americas? Not likely.

12) We can “walk” to our shops (Remember that one America?? Walking??)

We walk to our cars. Actally, I have a scooter for that.

Obama is a King! (didn't get the memo?)

14) When you look into our eyes you see the sane, calm and tranquil look of a pedigree... Not the cross-eyed, insane, and slightly angry look of a mongrel.

*scratching a flea* Huh?

15) We drink Tea.

Is that a brand of coffee?

16) We know which fork is for starters.

Trick question. You don't use a fork for starters. You use a wrench.

17) We know which spoon is for desert.

Silly brits. Why use spoon for beer?

18) If we ever lost a War we would never make a thousand movies about it so that we could collectively wallow in self-pity

USA, USA, USA, USA,. . . . what was the question?

19) When we win wars we have a dignified parade which involves the crowd quietly waving flags and clapping politely.

We have quiet dignified parades. Then we invade countries and blow stuff up.

20) We invented Comedy Sarcasm and Irony

We invented fart jokes.

21) We are the only country in the world that does actually LOVE America and Americans

Awwww, big hugs, puddin'.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Love it

Very funny... I almost spat out my Tea and chocked on my Fish and Chips

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Now that was funny I almost spat up my coffee and Egg Mcmuffen

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Haven't posted in a long time.

Came here to say OP is an ignorant idiot.

Why do Americans think they're like 'totally awesome'. Pathetic.

Also...'A independence day thread'? Nice education mate...lol
edit on 3-7-2011 by mrbocci because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join