It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America is better than England, a Independence Day Thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Sure, sure I know what Johnny says....

Just like Anthony Quinn was really "GREEK"
RRRIIIGGGHHHTTT
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4b6f8b33e43f.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
oh yeah and we invented all your sports, the ones only you guys play now.

True, our sports may indeed have traces back to England, however....we simply perfected them

May I present to you
Lingerie Football League

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTheOne
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Dont forget the top hats, those are very important in the English society.

And the Monocle...

I say!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

oh yeah and we invented all your sports, the ones only you guys play now.

True, our sports may indeed have traces back to England, however....we simply perfected them

May I present to you
Lingerie Football League

Another thing I love about America, thank you for englightening me of this new sport.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Im sorry - bad of me to do this

but I love my country - I really do.

At the age of 14 i took this oath

On my honour I promise that---
I will do my duty to God and the Queen.
I will do my best to help others,
I know the scout law, and will obey it.

at the age of 18 I found out my families route to this country- yes im something of a mongrel - part German French and Irish

But it didn't bruise my love for Britain - and that's a flaw in the ops post - England is not Britain.

I have spent many years in the US and I count my friends on both sides of the pond.

Just my 5c or 5 pence

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Really it depends on who you are talking to. Are you honestly saying there are no patriotic people in your country?

Yes we have patriotism, but how often do you hear or see Argentinian people raving on and on about how our nation is so much better than everywhere else? I've never actually seen that. I do like my home country, but not so much that I would declare it to be the greatest nation on earth, and go out of my way to belittle all other countries.

You can talk to one of the overly patriotic types and confuse them easily.
When they scream America is the best, ask them their views on california, new york, liberals, ACLU, etc...you can actually talk for quite awhile about things that are part of america and have them say they hate it...
Then finally follow up with "with all that hate for your own country, how can you say its the best...

I've asked them about all the problems within their nation before, and they still insist that it's better than everywhere else. They can acknowledge the issues yet still claim that it's better there than any other country. They tend to "compensate" by claiming to have practically invented the modern world through popular culture and (believe it or not) democracy. Yeah... some of them actually think they invented democracy.

Hmm
No...come on now...places like north korea and such are horribly brainwashed and pariah level patriots.
I think you may be thinking "lazy". aka, americans often don't know facts and details about other countrys..I blame the school system and their endless teaching of american history verses world history. when you graduate, you will know far more about the underground railroad and hardly anything about other nations on earth.

I'm aware of places such as N. Korea and China, etc. I meant that U.S. Americans are brainwashed subtly through their media that they don't even realise it. People in N. Korea and China know what's going on - they're just silenced. U.S. Americans don't even seem to be aware of the extent their media and forced patriotism has upon their minds.

So, you start thinking America has done and invented everything ever...before us, people generally hid in caves.
THIS. Is this actually what is being taught in schools? I know you guys have problems with funding for tertiary education, but if this is what most people's education is like... how can you say your society is not, to some extent, brainwashed?

Funny thing
You are not actually required to read threads that you dislike the topic of.
Its not like some massive test where you have to weigh in on all topics, regardless of like or interest...pick and choose and you will find your experience far better.

I still have to see the title lines. What I meant is that I thought this site was better than the mere promotion of U.S. agenda, and it is saddening to see so many people get sucked into it.
If I see one more post by a U.S. American insulting other countries yet again, well, ATS will lose this member.

Come on man, your an Australian...you lot wrestle crocks out of boredom...your a bit stronger than that, aren'tcha?

I'm not Australian, I live here for work at the moment, but I am Argentinian. Also, whether you jest or not, that sentence really does show your ignorance of the rest of the world. I assure you, it's becoming tiresome outside the U.S.A.

Sounds like you may need some therapy. a conspiracy website in general invites a lot of opposing debate regardless of the subject.
if you find its personally effecting you...if subjects and debates are having that impact on you...then I would suggest it has little to do with the topics and probably something to do with the processing.

Sounds like clinical depression more than anything else.

you sad bro?

I am not a "bro", I am not a male. Nor am I an idiot. I am familiar with the concept of debate, etc. What bothers me here is all the posts dedicated to promoting how "great" U.S.A. is and how much "better" it is than other nations. I would like all the rabid patriots to get off their high horse and cease to speak with such irrationality. It is not just posts in this forum that bother me - it is all and any U.S. Americans, usually in person, who insist on such disrespect.

You have done nothing but reinforce my already negative view on U.S. Americans. You have resorted to the infantile argumentative tactic of attempting to personally insult the other person - such as accusing me of having "clinical depression". What the hell? I'm not some idiot teenager. I'm a successful geologist in my mid-twenties and have travelled widely all over the world, including the U.S.A. What I say is based on my myriad of personal experiences, and even though English is not my first language, it does give me some pride that I appear to use it better than you do.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
An interesting look at British vs American news. At least our News manages to maintain some form of sanity and no Hannity.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Flaw in the original post?
how? I know england is not the only country in the UK, however, rules that go on the UK do go on England

I was attempting to (lightly) contrast the few differences between England and America considering America is celebrating its breaking away from the english crown some years back...

I figured it would be mostly about some trivial matters overall...word differences, etc...insite some pseudo-patriotic cheering and debate on both sides, a fluff piece for a slow conspiracy day and long weekend over here.

As far as not being from the UK but still love it anyhow...same here. I have perm residence over in the UK and will probably move back one day once I am done dealing with nonsense over here. but hey, I don't love everything about the island.

and ya, I totally nerfed the understanding of the TV tax, but its still suprising that there is a tax for it at all...
Again, superficial differences.

And the BBC lost my respect when they didn't renew "The Strangerers" anyhow

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
at the age of 18 I found out my families route to this country- yes im something of a mongrel - part German French and Irish

No shame there. You sound like an American....

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTheOne
Monarchy = I hate the Royal family, however they have no power at all in our country any more, which I am glad of.

They seem like they have a great sense of humor....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7fe15a19537.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
go visit detroit. it looks like beirut 1986. i have never seen a city like that, not in england, not in south america.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

No worries then - sorry for any issues there

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
go visit detroit. it looks like beirut 1986. i have never seen a city like that, not in england, not in south america.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a565ea3a930.gif[/atsimg]

Then you must not be very old OR have not really traveled much. Sure some neighborhoods of Detroit have seen better days. But it isn't like Beirut
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e62cc9ceca2d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

well then I guess all those metal bands from birmingham bragging about what a tough childhood it was are just whimps ?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

well then I guess all those metal bands from birmingham bragging about what a tough childhood it was are just whimps ?

Birmingham isnt too bad, probably worse town/city 30/40 years ago is Liverpool/Manchester, a lot of poverty and some crimes.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Only an Englishman could go to America and pretend he is an American and get away with it. I give you Hugh Laurie.

www.youtube.com...

So come on my American cousins beat that

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
formalformal

So, in summary... Alcohol dependant, Malnourished and dumb.... Hmmmmm!!!

reply to post by Philojoshua

Not to mention the deep fried heroin.

Yeah! Specially flown in by the CIA from Afghanistan.... ;-)
edit on 2/7/2011 by Philojoshua because: Afghanistan has a CAPITAL letter, as it is a formal name. ;-)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NotTheOne

Brum is brill i live there. Take a ganda at this:-

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Only an Englishman could go to America and pretend he is an American and get away with it. I give you Hugh Laurie.

www.youtube.com...

So come on my American cousins beat that

Does this count? North american anyway
edit on 2-7-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Fried potatoes are fries, not chips! Chips are fried...potatoes. Hmmm...that didn't go exactly as I planned.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join