It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring back the British Empire

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just imagine for a moment a world where the USA did not gain it's independence from Britain.

There would have been no World Wars 1 or 2, Hitler for instance would have been slapped down, unable to match the might of the combined armies from the begining, as it was America only came in for the last 18 months (Shame on you USA).

Imagine India, still in one piece without the creation of Pakistan, how much better would that be?

Africa, all those countries that were better under British rule.

The middle east, British Palestine, no wars with Israel.

The Far East peaceful with no one able to wage war on it's neighbour due to the presence of the British. No Korean conflict.

It's not too late is it? Given the mess created by successive Presidents maybe you in the USA should start a campaign to give over your sovereignty to Great Britain. At least you would have a Royal Family again, then maybe Prince William would come to you first instead of Canada.

All the peoples of the different countries in Africa suffering under the yoke of Dictators should be crying out, Bring back the British!

"Rule Britania, britania rules the waves........."

What do you think? Yes or No ( Under the US system all No votes will be counted as Yes votes in order to better reflect the will of the people)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I have nothing to say to that hilarious post except.

Originally posted by triplemmm
At least you would have a Royal Family again.

Why would we WANT one? I never understood why the Brits get a rock-hard woody about worshiping some ancient bloodline, as if they we're Gods. I stick with equality, thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta

Why would we WANT one? I never understood why the Brits get a rock-hard woody about worshiping some ancient bloodline, as if they we're Gods. I stick with equality, thanks.

You sir, deserve a star because I have no idea why we do it either

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Originally posted by Adyta

You sir, deserve a star because I have no idea why we do it either

I second this.

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't like the sound of that and I am British. The British Emipire was no "heavenly society" it was an "autocratic society" created on the blood of the working class of Britain and on the backs of foreign slaves. The emipre was great for those who ran it but for everyone else it was a nightmare.

Also; Did you know that the British emipre were the first to use death camps (as in Nazi Death camps).

TBH, what I want to see from the British government is the exact opposite. Concentrate on rebuilding England and stay out of world affairs.

ALS
edit on 2-7-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2011 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
As empires go the British empire was not the worst. However, all empires fall (whether they call themselves empires at their height, or not, is irrelevant).

The USA was in effect the heir to the British empire. Independence not gained when it did would be gained later at possibly greater cost and social/economic development would have been stunted. I contend that without independence the economic power of the USA wouldn't have existed to fight WW2 in the way you claim.

Its an interesting idea for an alternate history novel and history would certainly be different. I doubt it would be better in the way you suggest.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

You're not getting it, we don't worship the Royal family, they exist as just a figure heads, but it does give us a sense of continuity and history. In America they/you worship whoever the President at the time is, therefore your direction changes with every new one elected. Let's face it every American who comes to London goes to see the changing of the Guard, you yearn for our history, come back into the fold before it's too late.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I dont worship the royal family and never have, infact only a few other British people I know even like the Royal family. They just attract tourism thats it. Also I disagree with having a British Empire rule again, surely it would be better to just replace the the systems we have to day with something that works? The British Empire worked for us but not for those enslaved so it is no better than the current system. Can you imagine countries accepting being part of an empire again, it would mean invading and wars.
edit on 2-7-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I have a feeling your gonna get hammered for this thread..

Back on topic.. I agree bring it back.. Then I could go and live In Australia and not worry about a bloody visa..

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Why wouldn't it be better? Yes the British Empire made mistakes but we did rectify most of them, after all it was us who abolished slavery.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Be careful. The term concentration camp is not necessarily synonymous with death camps. Concentration camps were used against the Boers but not in the same way the Nazis used them during the final solution.

The first use is believed to be the russians against the poles in the 1800s and the USA used them against the Native Americans in the 1830s and in the Philippine-American war.

Plenty of historical shame to go around.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
personall opinion was that overall the british empire was a good thing and run well overall, look at some of the countries and how they've done since independance, particularly african states. I know a lot of people will argue at this and say america's done well without it but who's to say that it would have been better managed with under part of the empire?
The royal family is quite a neccesity in britain, attracting many tourists and it does continue to provide a good heritage.
Just my thoughts, nothing else

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sarcasm begin

Yes one thing that was a mark of the British forming and holding on to it's empire was that we did it with absolutely no loss of life, murder or bloodshed whatsoever.
Those natives were just chomping at the bit for us to come in and teach them about the Christian bible and turn them from their savage ways

Just look at the Australian American and New Zealands aboriginal people, they did just great out of it South Africa went off without a hitch too

End sarcasm

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You're not getting it, we don't worship the Royal family

"GOD SAVE THE QUEEN! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!"
"LONG LIVE THE KING! LONG LIVE THE KING! LONG LIVE THE KING!"

That, sir, is worship.

In America they/you worship whoever the President at the time is, therefore your direction changes with every new one elected.

No we don't. We pick them apart and analyze every decision they make. We aren't British, we care about what our government's up to.

Let's face it every American who comes to London goes to see the changing of the Guard, you yearn for our history, come back into the fold before it's too late.

Hate to break it to you, but in America, the Guard are look at as kind of a funny, cute little joke. Why do you think 99% of the pictures taken of the Guard are of us posing next to them, making a funny face or striking a funny pose?

after all it was us who abolished slavery.

Saying you abolished slavery is like saying you abolished war. It's been going on long before you, continues to go on now, and will continue to go on in the future.
edit on 7/2/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Take a look at Hong Kong, at it's skyline. That developed under the British, it's only recently that China has been responsible for it, are you telling me we wouldn't have developed the USA into a powerhouse? Of course we would.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Empire is just a kind way of saying dictatorship. The British empire has a legacy of murder like every other empire in history. Empires are founded on conquest and bloodshed, they don't represent the will of the people, they are the ultimate expression of unregulated state power and should be confined to the history books where they belong.

edit on 2-7-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by triplemmm

I know the British could have developed the US into a powerhouse.

However, we did it better.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The royal family is nothing more than a tourist attraction for the likes of americans and canadians or a museum if that or a living museum

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by triplemmm

Are you suggesting the rest of world history would have played out along similar lines with the British Empire behaving like modern Britain but super strong? Life isn't that simple. Unintended consequences abound.

To remain in control Britain would have to sink further into brutality as one example. How would the other european great powers react, how would the alliances have developed as the set up to the Great War for example, to counterbalance Britain?

I am British and by and large and proud of my history (while recognising we've done wrong). I think your idea is an interesting alternate history to be developed but I don't expect to turn out all sweetness and light when you do.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
With the Empire came the class system. The class system would have kept the people in the empire as little better than slaves, both at home and further afield.

The abuses of the British Elite, and let's be honest, the English Elite, would have caused righteous revolutions across the world in the intervening years, and the Elite would have been sent to the scaffold, put against a wall and shot, or otherwise removed. As a consequence the Empire would have fractured into lot's of broken states that would probably be constantly at war.

The Empire as it was forged was a double edged sword, both good and bad, but in hindsight for those under the yoke of the Empire mostly bad.

I'm glad the Empire was swept away, because it led the social mobility, otherwise my family would still be living in industrial squalor and not have had the chances we've had to be educated, travel, or otherwise live improved lives.

Part of me wonders if the current empire being forged under American hegemony isn't creating a series of 21st century problems similar to those created by the decline of the British Empire in the 20th century.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join