It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Hurricanes hitting Florida within 12 hours of each other

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Heres more proof that something strange is going on with the weather. 2 Tropical Storms are predicted to turn into Hurricanes and Hit Florida with 12 hours of each other. The first one is Bonnie and is expected to make land fall 2 pm Thursday the second is Charley and will hit around 2 am Friday. This is just more proof that the weather is very strange.

Bonnie

Charly

www.weatherhub.com...

[edit on 11-8-2004 by brykc14]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I wonder what force they will hit at..........

Any word on how big they are expected to get, as far as force goes?

This is pretty strange..............

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Right now Bonnie is 45 Mph With Higher Gusts. and Strengthening Is Forecast During The Next 24 Hours.

and Charley is 65 Mph...and is expected to be the biggest of the 2 when it hits because it will have more time in the water.

Yes this is strange. Ive been doing some searching to find out if this has ever happened before and I havent found anything yet.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
i live in florida and the first storm is just tropical force and the other mite just mite reach hurricane force . Not much more then a summer thunder storm for us unless you live right on the sand . Its already raining here now .
Not to worryed as for two storms close toghter not a big deal eather it happens more then u relize look up a path chart .

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
i also live in Florida....it isn't uncommon for us to have alot of bad storms here. i live outside Daytona Bch and that is usually where the west coast seabreeze and the east coast seabreeze meet,,,the storms here can get pretty bad!!!! I have been in Florida for 18yrs and seen many a storm come and go including Andrew. like I said before up North u have blizzards .....Down South we have Hurricanes, The only thing that worries me is the rain!!!! It has been raining here for a week and we are already flooded. Especially Volusia County.

Bonnie is expectes to make it to South Carolina ( last perdiction heard) by this weekend ( by 2am Friday )

Charly-is just expected to come up the west side across Central Florida by Friday and by Saturday he should be up by the Carolinas

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Well theyve updated it. Its thursday and Friday not Friday and Saturday.

I know Florida has bad storms. But the thing I thought was strange was Hearing 2 named storms hitting within 12 hours of each other.
And they sure arent acting like it isnt a big deal on TV this morning. Thats all they are talking about. Guess must be a slow news day.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
imo it is unusual to have two named storms making landfall so close together. Since I have been living in Florida, i think the closest between 2 named storms has been 1 week, but never hitting the state twice.

i'm not worried about the strength of the storms and the immediate damage, but more so of the flooding and all the relating problems that urban flooding causes, including potholes, mosquitoes, etc.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
imo it is unusual to have two named storms making landfall so close together. Since I have been living in Florida, i think the closest between 2 named storms has been 1 week, but never hitting the state twice.

i'm not worried about the strength of the storms and the immediate damage, but more so of the flooding and all the relating problems that urban flooding causes, including potholes, mosquitoes, etc.

LOL don't forget about the sinkholes when we dry up!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Florida is the only place we want to move. We were going to move to the inside, gulf of mexico, because very little cains. Now there are two at the same time, welcome to crazy world.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We live in Wilmington DE. Last year we had
Tropical Storm Henri and Hurricane Isabel both
hit within a week or so of each other. They
were both named storms in the same area
hitting the same part of the country within
days. I don't think 2 tropical storms in Florida
are strange.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Rare. But not too strange.
Floridians just can't seem to escape the rain though....

It looked like Bonnie would remain a Tropical Storm as it hit, but she has gained some steam in the past 12 hours, and just may reach hurricane strength.

Charley will be interacting with land so that should keep it from becoming to strong of a hurricane (which it will more than likely become in the next 24 hours or less).

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I am so glad that Charley missed us yesterday by about 100 miles...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Florida is the only place we want to move. We were going to move to the inside, gulf of mexico, because very little cains. Now there are two at the same time, welcome to crazy world.

Any long-time west coaster, like myself, 30 years until I moved to upstate NY, will tell you that the central florida gulf-coast, particularly the tampa bay area is long overdue for a major hurricane. Sure, Cedar Key gets hit every so often (there's a great bar up there on the pier to drink and watch the waves when Cedar Key is the target). Elena in 1985 was the closest major one, it parked offshore for a day or so. The worst case scenario has always been a direct hit just north of the bay area (counter-clockwise winds push water up the bay --a massive flooding) and a direct hit into the mouth of the bay (much worse flooding).

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Rare. But not too strange.
Floridians just can't seem to escape the rain though....

It looked like Bonnie would remain a Tropical Storm as it hit, but she has gained some steam in the past 12 hours, and just may reach hurricane strength.

Charley will be interacting with land so that should keep it from becoming to strong of a hurricane (which it will more than likely become in the next 24 hours or less).

I think the entrance quadrant of the jet north of Bonnie may ventilate her well enough to intensify her a little more than TPC predicts right now ... unlikely she'll be more than a middling category 1 though.

The biggest issue with Bonnie will be a big rain event all the way up the east coast. That area is already pretty soaked, so expect flooding.

As late as yesterday morning, I thought Charley would move slower and thus continue west into the Gulf. But having moved as fast as he did, recurvature is certain now. The TPC track keeps shifting east with every advisory. I think it may still shift a little more, impacting South Florida instead of the Naples area. This is reasonably good news (except for those of us in South Florida of course) because it means there won't be major flooding from Charley following Bonnie up the coast.

If that's what happens, Charley won't have time to get real strong - a weak category 2 at worst, I think.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Baton down the hatches we are gonna have a bumpy 2 days guys!!!!! All I can say is if u live in Florida start picking up the stuff in your yard and get your hurricane kit ready!!! The rain worries me it started storming here in Volusia County at around 5PM tonight and already we are starting to flood.. Haven't heard anything on the schools yet though!!! Has anyone else? i'll tell you my daughters catch the bus and depending on the weather they may be staying home!!!! I hope everyone stays safe and smart when it comes to riding out these 2 storms.. Hopefully we don't lose power or get too flooded!!!! Last I heard:

Bonnie: was going to hit anywhere in the Panhandle down to the Swanee River and move up through the States! she is expected to be over 60 MPH when she makes landfall!!!

Charley: is already a hurricane . He is expected to move up into the gulf and come ashore somewhere around Tampa, move through central Florida and up through Deltona and Daytona Bch ( which is way over due for a severe hurricane) and go up into Georgia...He will have winds of around 90 MPH when he goes across Florida.

Will keep you posted as I hear more!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
w00t!

Florida is screwed! Since Hurricane Andrew, I don't think any named storm ever had much effect on florida. Now, we are gonna get pounded by TWO within a day!

I kept wondering abt wut would happen when two hurricanes collided. Now, with any luck (and a death wish), We may find out

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
my local weather guy just said, that two named storms have never hit Florida within 24 hours of each other or less in hurricane history....so this is unusual.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

my local weather guy just said, that two named storms have never hit Florida within 24 hours of each other or less in hurricane history....so this is unusual

When I first heard about the 2 Storms this morning I knew it was unusual thats why I made the thread. Some people said it wasnt that wierd, but I searched for 2 hours and couldnt find anything about more than 1 hurricane striking in one day. Im not In Florida, but My thoughts are with yall as you wait out the next 48 hours.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
ALERT! Hurricane Charley Upgraded to Category 4 Storm

It looks like this storm is going to kill some people. If you live on the Florida Gulf Coast, please take care of yourself.

The flooding looks like it's going to be very bad.

top topics

join