It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen Sulfide found in a regional lake have local authorities monitoring. Something serious???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Here is a link to a news article that just aired on WTOV9 news saying that there has been Hydrogen Sulfide found in a regional lake. The authorities are monitoring the levels and it is found near a dam on the lake. Is this something to be concerned about?? I have read that one of the gases released from volcanic gases is Hydrogen Sulfide. This lake is along the path that, and I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the man or where to find the link, runs from the Gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi to Illinois/Kentucky, up to Ohio, through the state of Ohio to Lake Erie and into Canada.

Is this Hydrogen Sulfide pointing to some break in the earth's crust that is releasing volcanic gas? Are there hidden dangers to the public? Is the country starting to break along that line?

Sorry, NOT fearmongering!!! I live not 100 miles from said lake and I have children, so I am trying to understand so I can prepare my family.

Here is a link to the news article. WTOV9 Hydrogen Sulfide in Lake Clendenning

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

Isn't that natural in the spring after the lakes starts warming up and de icing?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No you dont need to worry. It is usually caused by human. While it is deadly in close proximity at times, it is basically just a natural occuring event that will naturally fix itself in the fall. It is usually a breakdown of waste so it probably came from human waste being dumped in the lake imo.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-7-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Hydrogen sulfide will also form in bodies of water with a lot of decaying plant or animal matter at the bottom.

Have you ever stepped in a muddy lake or pond and the stuff that stirs up smells like rotten eggs? Blame hydrogen sulfide.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What causes hydrogen sulfide gas to form in groundwater?

Decay of organic matter such as vegetation, or chemical reactions with some sulfur-containing minerals in the soil and rock, may naturally create hydrogen sulfide gas in groundwater. As groundwater moves through soil and rock formations containing minerals of sulfate, some of these minerals dissolve in the water. A unique group of bacteria, called "sulfur bacteria" or "sulfate-reducing bacteria" can change sulfate and other sulfur containing compounds, including natural organic materials, to hydrogen sulfide gas.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't live near there but I know every time I wake up and go outside it smell like Sulfur, and very strong. Like stronger than usual. Probably the air quality we have, or the pollen. I don't know. But, the smell is horrible. Hope everything turns out okay.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I checked out the link and sure enough it is just as the OP says, but both the OP and the site fail to mention where in the heck this place is!

LOL, I cannot find a single reference to any State! Are they that famous?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Missouri I believe.

Though i'm sure there are quite a few harrison lakes.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I checked out the link and sure enough it is just as the OP says, but both the OP and the site fail to mention where in the heck this place is!

LOL, I cannot find a single reference to any State! Are they that famous?

You have to search the site, but the TV station is in Ohio.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Well this is exactly the kind of thing that makes ATS not just a conspiracy site. But a leader in real time information. No matter the outcome of this story, that looks petty significant so far. OP is on top of it and has done the right thing bvringing it forword. SnF in a big way.

Why would authorities be monitoring a normal occurance ?
edit on 1-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Mountain Enigma... is this the person (geologist) and theory you were referring to?

Geologist Offers New Theory

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Here is the lake in question:

It sounds like something that is a regular occurrence and not something to be to concerned with as long as you aren't boating in that particular spot taking in deep breaths of all that bacterial gas.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

They monitor it because in the past these sudden releases of toxic gas have killed lots of people and animals. I'd throw up some links but you can easily search them out if you like.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

hmmm took me 1 minute....

Hydrogen sulfide forms when the concentrations of sulfates in the watershed immediately behind these dams are higher than normal. During the summer months, the sulfates are converted to hydrogen sulfide gas through microbial activity occurring in the bottom layers of the lake. As the water leaves the lake, the hydrogen sulfide gas is released into the air, creating an unhealthy situation in the tailwater areas.

huntington.armylive.dodlive... .mil/2010/07/22/potential-hydrogen-sulfide-concern-at-piedmont-lake-in-ohio/

The naturally occurring problem is confined to the area adjacent to the spillways and does not pose a problem to recreational users of the lake. There is no indication that fish taken from the lake pose a health risk if consumed, according to the Corps.

www.ohiogamefishing.com...

a little more info would be helpfull
..next i will look for volcantic activity in ohio

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

(UNLESS I'm getting my gasses mixed up! LOL)

Durango Colo and LaPlata Colo have a lot of buried hydrogen sulphide gas.

Drillers have to wear serious breathing masks etc.

And if there's ever a quake of any even moderate significance cracking enough from the gas to the surface, many people could die rather instantly.

It might be good to try and find out how much there is; what the prevailing wind patterns are etc. It is NOT, as I understand it,

ANYTHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AT ALL.

www.drillfloor.com...

Hydrogen sulphide gas
Hydrogen sulphide gas is one of the most deadly occupational hazards in drilling. It goes by many names: H2S, Sour Gas and Sulfuretted Hydrogen.

People working in the oil and gas industry must be aware of its deadly properties. Sewer maintenance crews, blasters and miners have learned to respect this gas.

Employers must ensure that workers who may be exposed to H2S gas are able to recognize its lethal effects. Workers should also know how to rescue and administer first aid to victims who are overcome.

edit on 2/7/2011 by BO XIAN because: inserted caveat

edit on 2/7/2011 by BO XIAN because: add link and excerpt re deadliness of the gas

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

This lake is along the path that, and I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the man or where to find the link, runs from the Gulf of Mexico, up the Mississippi to Illinois/Kentucky, up to Ohio, through the state of Ohio to Lake Erie and into Canada

this lake is in ohio..not sure what you are trying to say...

www.ohiohistorycentral.org...

a link to ohio volcanic activity...

im all for a good or bad conspiracy ..but..really....

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Absolutly no need my friend. I do recall an event like that, happening in Africa now that you mention it. So To that I say excellent call.

edit on 2-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

That's a strange quote to apply to me considering I never said that. And I wasn't being condescending but if you take it that way I suppose there's not much I can do about that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Alright who put that there?
Sorry about that Kro I'm sure you've heard ATS has been plagued by quote bandits lately.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Yes, that is the map. Great find! I have been told that there is a fault that runs up the Ohio River somewhere near where I live. Also, we have had a couple of earthquakes in the valley that are not normal for this area. So, just like the sudden rip in the State of Michigan, just wondering if something is stirring in Ohio, considering they are 'watching' the area, which to me means they are concerned enough to think it is not just rotting vegetation??? That is why I brought this to everyone's attention.

And yes, this lake is in Ohio, on the eastern side.

Thanks for all the responses!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join