It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On CNN a While Ago CNN Claimed Texas Has Job Growth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Um, you DO realize that minimum wage is set federally, not on the state level?

So whatever state you live in, you have the exact same minimum wage as we do. Thing is, very few places pay minimum wage anywhere. What kind of employee do you get for minimum wage? The kind that has all sorts of problems and gives you a minimum effort.

If you are capable of more, then find more. If you are not, then that isn't anyone else's fault.

My wife and I were both minimum wage earners for the first 5 years of our marriage. Not only did it make us hungrier for success (and thus, work smarter and harder), but we also learned how to live a little more like a Spartan. No, it isn't easy when you can only wish to have 40 bucks leftover at the end of the month. But to feel entitled to something better without actually gaining the skills to get it is a behavior that is so beneath me that I cannot even comprehend it. It violates everything I was taught about self reliance and responsibility.

I just have little sympathy. I am not wealthy by any stretch. I often live paycheck to paycheck. But that is because i support my kids in college, and give money to my mother and my in laws when they need some extra help. But everything I have I own (no credit) except my Tahoe (only 4 more payments and I own it, too). And I taught myself what i needed to know to get better jobs with better pay.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

If you can only get minimum wage jobs, then you really should not a be allowed to have offspring. I would hate my parents if they born me in those circumstances.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So . . . are you going to argue facts . . . or are you just going to sputter about making yourself look the fool?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Believe what you wish.

5.15/hr x2 x40 x4 = 1600

-725 (rent) (3 bedroom apt 1300 sq ft)
-400 (food)
-100 (electric)
-40 (gas)

roughly 300 dollars left over. We did not live like kings, but we lived. No one was hungry, we had a roof over our heads, and we had a few amenities.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

So . . . are you going to argue facts . . . or are you just going to sputter about making yourself look the fool?

Actually your starting to sound and making yourself look the fool rich elitist, those weren't the fact that you have posted but disinformation and if you have any respects, show some respects to people who are still suffering in this global recession.

Oh yes its over for the rich but not for the poor or the middle class.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Actually your starting to sound and making yourself look the fool rich elitist,

So . . . posting facts makes me look like a rich elitist foll?

lol

those weren't the fact that you have posted but disinformation

Then you should be able to give evidence to the contrary. I will not hold my breath.

and if you have any respects, show some respects to people who are still suffering in this global recession.

Oh yes its over for the rich but not for the poor or the middle class.

Fallacy. Appeal to emotion. Never mind the fact that that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Try again.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

And you are sounding like Che Guevara.

If you are presuming anyone to be wealthy while on a forum, then anything based on that presumption in your arguement is worthless.

I think LemonFresh just threw up some solid math for you to look at (the only think i see missing is water, which may have been provided by the apartment, and maybe phone/cable if one wanted to sacrifice liquidity for such amenities). To counter his math, you offer emotional rhetoric.

No one here is saying anything about how people are or are not suffering in the recession. That is you just moving the target because you have nothing to debate against the math with.

It seems as if you have an emotional attachment to this subject, and are utterly unwilling to concede anything because of that attachment. There is plenty wrong with that, but its not my role to tell you why.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Wow, i should have just kept reading before my prior response. Seems like you pretty much nailed it. Star for your outstanding use of debate fallacy. The appeal to emotion is an all to common (and effective) tactic among the small minded.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

. . .
I think LemonFresh just threw up some solid math for you to look at (the only think i see missing is water, which may have been provided by the apartment, and maybe phone/cable if one wanted to sacrifice liquidity for such amenities).

Water/trash/sewage was provided by the landlord (would have been another 100 bucks a month, no deal breaker, really).

We did not have a phone. No real need for one. If we needed one, a payphone was about 200 feet away from our door. :shrug:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Yes Texas has jobs but if you went to work there from a Northern state, you will QUICKLY find out that the pay is HALF of what you made up North or from the West coast, and the work is no less than 3 times harder.

Expect to work like a MULE there. [color=gold](HINT: its a state that borders Mexico, so figure out what you will be working like...)

Every person that I have known who went to Texas for a job from the North or West coast RAN back having a MUCH greater appreciation of their native NON-Southern state from which they came from.

The employee-friendly rights and perks that the Liberal North & West coast so nicely provides its workers are NON-EXISTENT down in the south.

Beware...

edit on 3-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

You don't know me then

When I came to Texas from Pennsylvania (Mid-state, not a large metro area) I made almost double my salary and the cost of living was much less. Most of my friends here that are Not native Texans are from CA. I know of none that have moved back.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

So whatever state you live in, you have the exact same minimum wage as we do.

Wrong. All states must have AT LEAST the federal level. Some states offer their own higher standards.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

So whatever state you live in, you have the exact same minimum wage as we do.

Wrong. All states must have AT LEAST the federal level. Some states offer their own higher standards.
en.wikipedia.org...

That is what i said. The feds set the MINIMUM wage. States can choose to set a rate higher, which would then not be a minimum, would it?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

That is what i said. The feds set the MINIMUM wage. States can choose to set a rate higher, which would then not be a minimum, would it?

OF course, the states also refer to it as their own "Minimum Wage", meaning that different states can indeed have different minimum wages. California has a 'minimum wage' that is different than South Carolina. Different is not the same.
edit on 10-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
How much is the difference? 1-2 bucks?

two

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join