It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On CNN a While Ago CNN Claimed Texas Has Job Growth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Awesome. You took my original post and have managed to take it to extremes of communism!!

Glen Beck would be proud!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jssaylor2007
Texas has experienced job growth, but with many flocking here due to the noted stable economy here the numbers may be a bit skewed to appear as if there has been a decline, but there sure hasnt.

All you have to do is look around while driving around. Lots and lots of out of state plates on cars.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Because that's Michigan's last hope, silly! Zimbabwe probably have a more dynamic economy.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Texas is economically strong. And instead of flooding here you should have your state officials learn and change.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr

Texas is economically strong. And instead of flooding here you should have your state officials learn and change.

So other states should be lucky enough to have massive ports dealing with billions of dollars in oil and numerously federally-funded military bases, and industries who are free to pollute the land belonging to the people? The race to the bottom is not something to brag about winning.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I didn't see it. But it is true. Companies from California started to suffer, and many moved here. Austin is like another silicone valley, with a robust tech and space industry (several private ventures, which get developed then bought out by a big oil company....i was told i could not invest in 2 of them so far, as they were being bought out by Chevron and Exxon, respectively).

Our oil business is literally on fire. All the companies from that show Black Gold are from around here, and every drilling outfit has every rig in their yard out on a job. I was driving up FM 700 to get on Hwy 350 last week and saw 15 rigs either operating, or still be set up. Truckloads of pipes are rolling through town almost nonstop.

The wind industry is huge right now. My town, in particular, has several thousand windmills around it. The PUC finally permitted te installation of the power lines. Until recently, tens of thousands of windmills have been generating a charge into the ground, as there was no way to pull them back into the grid while the PUC hemmed and hawed.

When you have these two industries in the western part of the state booming like they are, you have a boom in hotels, restaurants, stores, bars, etc, etc.

Add into this the fact that our taxes are VERY business friendly, and the companies that were going broke in California are finding it much, much easier to make money here. The migration has been so steady that Texas is actively recruiting companies in California and other states to move to Texas and set up shop.

In Midland, TX i know one man (he built the hotel that i recently was managing) that built 10 different hotels (HI Express, Hampton Inn...those kinds of places where you can turn 250k a month in revenue at 65 rooms). At first everyone thought he was crazy, opening 3 a year. He was called "his own competitor". But business is so strong, he sold them as fast as he built them, doubling his money. Business in Midland, TX is booming, as are all the surrounding towns.

The San Antonio area is the fasting growing part of the nation right now. The eastern half of the state is growing exponentially.

If other states would follow suit with some of our economic policies they might see some of our growth. Of course, any policy based on the Keynsian system is bad...but for what it is, we got it as good as it can get. I especially enjoy no state income tax. One less pain to deal with, honestly.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Assistance is better than dependance.

And as I stated, cost of living is generally cheaper in TX. So minimum wage can go for more.

If I so choose, my wife and I can work a full time minimum wage job, support our family, have an 3 bedroom apartment, a used car, and still have some extra spending money. And that is before we might think of governmental assistance.

Proof? We lived that way for a few years.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Reply to post by David9176

20 dollars an hour?

This ain't New York, son.

Again. Cost of living is the difference. Do some research before saying my life is a lie.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
So i only read the first few posts before putting in my 2 cents. Then i get to see how quickly this devolved into a Texas bash.

Listen, figures don't lie. But i know that liars can figure.

Our cost of living here is very low. Someone was calling a 2000 a month a minimum wage job...that is totally laughable and displays a complete ignorance of our state. Such opinions are worth nothing. 2k a month is almost 30k a year....about what a starting teacher makes. What kind of moron would say a teacher is making minimum wage. Or an LVN...that is about their pay. I know hotel managers who make that, and a couple of executive directors of some of the area chamber of commerce. 2k a month is far, far from minimum wage, by at least double.

I think there are some folks that need to first get some context on what income levels are in this area. I would say that the next step would be to discuss the WHY, so that success can be duplicated elsewhere (like Michigan, which is America's new ghetto). But this stupid knee jerk reaction to bad mouth a state that is obviously wiping the floor with the other 49 states while maintaining a higher level of freedom than most of those states is pathetic and laughable.

But I should have known. The replies are so typical as to be completely predictable.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by redrose123

Now why would wages be being driven down in TX?

If the damned border would be closed, wages would go up, and the strain on social services would be nullified.

Hell. How many Katrina victims are still here mooching?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by David9176

20 dollars an hour?

This ain't New York, son.

Again. Cost of living is the difference. Do some research before saying my life is a lie.

I have a friend from NYC. He owns two places. Upstairs is an apartment, downstairs are businesses. He moved here so that he could live luxuriously from the rent paid in that overpriced armpit in NYC. He makes a total of 15k a month in rent (he only rents three of the four available rents, as a sister gets to live in one for free). 15k a month...he lives in a house on a street inhabited by all our doctors. His house, in a place like LA, would run about 2 million. Here, he only paid 200k.

People are just making crap up in this thread, I think.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

They are actaully the same but in respects different from each other, but Corporatism belongs in Capitalism because it is Capitalism that has brought Corporatism in the first place.

*buzzer*

Try again. A simple Google search would do wonders for you. In fact, the first link is a great read.

A Job isnt a Job when your working as a slave for the Corporatism, a job should have been relaxing but it isnt because its bringing people stress on them for no reason, a job should be where you and your loved ones feel at ease.

I feel at ease wherever I am. Providing what I can for my family makes me feel at ease. If I had to work fields or day labor I would (and . . . I HAVE.
).

I have to ask you who do you work for ? do you work for you or work for them?

Again, where I work has absolutely no bearing on the issue, except to make your self an argument based in fallacy.

I have worked quite a few jobs. Some governmental, some not. Most government jobs here do not pay much more above minimum anyways, for what it's worth . . . unless you are high level. But even that is comparable to high-level non-government jobs.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

. . .

So other states should be lucky enough to have massive ports dealing with billions of dollars in oil and numerously federally-funded military bases, and industries who are free to pollute the land belonging to the people? The race to the bottom is not something to brag about winning.

How about learning the FACTS?

Texas: Leading the Nation in Clean Coal Power

Texas has installed more wind generation than any other state and all but three other countries.

--Texas was a finalist for the FutureGen clean coal project and we have more carbon-free nuclear plants under development than any other state.--

--Texas is the largest producer of wind energy in the nation, surpassing California in 2006, and we account for almost one-third of new capacity installed nationwide.--

--Texas is home to the world’s largest onshore wind farm.--

--Texas is the nation’s largest biodiesel producer and biofuel use is expected to grow more rapidly than other forms of biomass energy.--

--Texas leads the nation in renewable energy potential and has almost one-third of the nation’s total wind generation capacity, enough to power 1 million homes.--

Should I go on, or should I wait for you to wipe the egg off of your face?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

People are just making crap up in this thread, I think.

No offense but thats what you have been doing,by claiming Everything's FINE!

I know from my experience from this recession to this day my family still has no job just the crappiest worst support u could possibly get from your trusted government.

Edited:
You can go ahead and cheer like school cheerleaders for Texas but still the fact remains when the The Unemployment Insurance Benefits go out on americans who will you help then? i guess you wont answer to that.

Because when the The Unemployment Insurance Benefits not even your own state will help you once you ran out of the benefits, as for the jobs that people still have like you two, sigh dont celebrate as if the jobs you have will last, the boss can easily fire you and replace you with another worker.

It is as simple as that you two are cheering and even believing that economic crisis is over, but it isnt just look at eupore, canada.

Enjoy been a slave to the system.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

No offense but thats what you have been doing,by claiming Everything's FINE!

no offense taken.
I am just relaying my own personal experience. I am on "the inside" of quite a bit of business discussions that happen in the West Texas area. I can assure you that financial forecasts are very, very solid through 2013 (beyond that is even better, but less accurate).

I can assure you that I have seen millions of pieces of proof exchanging hands down here over the last year. Each of them with a picture of George Washington on them. You can't argue with cold hard cash.

I know from my experience from this recession to this day my family still has no job just the crappiest worst support u could possibly get from your trusted government.

Where do you live? In Texas? If not, your anecdote is irrelevant. If so, what part? I can tell you that the part of the state I am in has the lowest unemployment in the nation (around 3-4%). Money is being spent like crazy, expanding businesses and building new ones. Do they just pull the resources for all that construction out of their butts? Likely not...it comes from a booming economy.

Edited:
You can go ahead and cheer like school cheerleaders for Texas but still the fact remains when the The Unemployment Insurance Benefits go out on americans who will you help then? i guess you wont answer to that.

The same people I have spent hundreds of hours helping the last several years. My big heart and generous nature is there regardless of economic situation. I demand, however, that anyone i help must first be helping themselves.

Because when the The Unemployment Insurance Benefits not even your own state will help you once you ran out of the benefits, as for the jobs that people still have like you two, sigh dont celebrate as if the jobs you have will last, the boss can easily fire you and replace you with another worker.

I have been unemployed since February. But i have worked my ass off for 15 years putting together a 5 star resume. So, after mulling over several job offers (and turning down several others due to not wanting to leave Texas), i have a job starting on August 1.

Had I not gotten a job, we would move to where i could get a job. Where things are booming: San Antonio. Our boxes were already packed when i got the offer 2 weeks ago. In the meantime, i tilled up 1/4 acre and planted veggies for the summer. Foreseeing lean times, i was proactive. It is a tenet of what an American should be: hard working and independent.

I don't have an issue with UI benefits....but would rather find a way to not be on them. It is not "the government teet" so much, as that money is in place due to insurance purchased by emnployers. Except the recent UI benefits extensions that the Fed has carried.

It is as simple as that you two are cheering and even believing that economic crisis is over, but it isnt just look at eupore, canada.

Enjoy been a slave to the system.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

There you go, making up crap again. Never said the crisis is over. Just that everyone else's crisis has become a boom for Texas. I don't like Gov. Rick "Good Hair" Perry, but he has made some solid decisions since the recession hit.

Now, unless you have more stuff to make up, i will assume that most of your concerns here are laid to rest.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yes Texas has jobs but if you went to work there from a Northern state, you will QUICKLY find out that the pay is HALF of what you made up North or from the West coast, and the work is no less than 3 times harder.

Expect to work like a MULE there. [color=gold](HINT: its a state that borders Mexico, so figure out what you will be working like...)

Every person that I have known who went to Texas for a job from the North or West coast RAN back having a MUCH greater appreciation of their native NON-Southern state from which they came from.

The employee-friendly rights and perks that the Liberal North & West coast so nicely provides its workers are NON-EXISTENT down in the south.

Beware...

edit on 3-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pplrnuts

To sum it up, you are claiming that northerners, when compared to Texans, are lazy?
I will take that as a compliment.

However, to be more serious, it would seem that all those perks are part of the problem. I much, much prefer living in a right to work state. It is a critical part of why business are fleeing the union work states....we have business friendly practices.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

. . .

How about learning the FACTS?

Texas: Leading the Nation in Clean Coal Power

"Clean coal' is a joke, and is not 'clean'. Your examples are laughable. Texas has a HORRIBLE environmental record, as does any state with lax environmental regulations and a powerful mineral extraction industry.

posting a couple of pseudo environmental pet projects of some politician does not negate that whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Assistance is better than dependance.

And as I stated, cost of living is generally cheaper in TX. So minimum wage can go for more.

If I so choose, my wife and I can work a full time minimum wage job, support our family, have an 3 bedroom apartment, a used car, and still have some extra spending money. And that is before we might think of governmental assistance.

Proof? We lived that way for a few years.

I do not believe you. Minimum wage in TX until very recently was about 5 bucks an hour. Now, it is about 7. two people, working full time, can not support a family on that with no social assistance. Perhaps themselves, but not children.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

So, in essence, you are going to attack the source, not debate the information within it?

I see....no need to talk to you any further then. Enjoy the Land of Logical Fallacies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join