It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Really Real World: A Closer Look At Reality's True Constituents

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST
reply to post by Cuervo

im sorry brother i hate to get to the point right away but if you spent your life on the streets and learning from your every day struggles instead of hiding behind video games and a computer you would probably understand, but then again, god chose us before he created the heavens and the earth, i will pray to GOD foe your soul if only you would give him a chance,while you still have time.......

How is any of what you said related to me or this thread? Did you actually read it? Please, tell me what your understanding is of it because it has nothing to do with not being "on the streets" or "hiding behind a video game".

As far as my soul is concerned, I beg for you not to pray for it. I have a deep relationship with God and the last thing I need is for a mediator to step in on my behalf. I'm not going to tell you of all the hardships I've had growing up nor will I speak to the various non-profits I've chaired (based in biblical foundations, mind you) nor do I feel the need to defend myself.

If I did defend myself, though, it would be out of duty in order to educate you on just one more person on the road and how you can not possibly have the authority to judge somebody you know nothing about, regardless of what egoism is bestowed upon you by your God.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I agree with sentiment that video games are just as valid as art and poetry. Maybe even more so since i have never heard of a Shakespeare play that have helped scientist do what they do(Solve really hard crap):

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

Playing games just for fun are fine too. Like you said "I'm helping the world just as much by reading a book(Though, i think a masturbation joke would have fit just a well)".

But, as for the comparison to reality: I say, who cares about reality? Hasn't that always sucked. I would say games are a side effect of reality. Animals even get in on the fun:

Cuteness sensors overloading, ejecting brain matter.

Rather than comparing games to reality, isn't playing games a natural part of reality?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Rather than comparing games to reality, isn't playing games a natural part of reality?

It's actually both. In fact, if you really think about why it is part of reality (evidenced by your monkey video), you will see it's just one more way we try to emulate it. Great observation.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That was pretty interesting how the mind can do the wave-math. It really is all about how our minds interpret it. And at some point all this stuff around us is just information. The wall might be blue, but that's how our minds interpret it through our eyes. What color is the wall really, if you use an electron microscope? It's like black with some green energy zipping around. It's information.

Isn't final fantasy 7 a multiple protagonist game? And it has strong emotional ties to the characters. So I think it can go either way. I think that also plays into how a person views the world. You have on one extreme, third person, looking at the big picture. Everything is like a big play, and I'm just watching how things interact and all the variables. A more first person, self-centered approach would mean more self-responsibility and appreciation for ones own actions. I'd bet more good deeds have been done by self-centered good people, than big-picture good people. Because the big picture gives you every excuse not to get involved. Obviously you need both.

So Multiple protagonist works in your favor when the battles are close calls or tough to get through, and they build that comaraderie and brotherhood between the protagonists. Then when one of them dies or something bad happens to them, they are connected not only through the story, but by the players own interactive experiences with them. I played BFME2 a bit, and I loved playing as goblins. They can be tough but they really have to stick together and can really do well. Whenever I have some goblin warriors get seperated and just overrun by some cavalry it is a sad hopeless feeling lol.

But it's all perspectives. I think it's a great OP and it's too bad most people can't discuss the way games emulate reality and vice versa. They take it way too personally when this subject is brought up. Which is even more funny if they don't play games themselves and don't understand what feelings and interactions are being discussed, oh well. Games are a great scapegoat and like all scapegoats, they are approached in this same manner by those who want to use them as such.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

we (humans) see time as a physical property , and i agree we are in fact in a simulation( a game throws people off topic)or matrix. in order to be in a simulated game there has to be a CREATOR and if there is a CREATOR than there has to be a PURPOSE. AND if there is a PURPOSE here has to be ACCOUNTABILITY....DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE CREATOR. and yes we are in a matrix but GOD is outside the time domain...thus being the creator.we can prove this threw biblical prophecy(writing things years before they happen.)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

be careful of what you ask for for you might get it.;..................

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
That was pretty interesting how the mind can do the wave-math. It really is all about how our minds interpret it. And at some point all this stuff around us is just information. The wall might be blue, but that's how our minds interpret it through our eyes. What color is the wall really, if you use an electron microscope? It's like black with some green energy zipping around. It's information.

I think you would really dig Dr. Bohm's early writings. He strongly believed there is no component for chaos in the world but, instead, that you can find order in everything if you "zoom out" enough. I guess that applies both ways. Like you said with the microcosm being different colors than the macrocosm.

Isn't final fantasy 7 a multiple protagonist game? And it has strong emotional ties to the characters. So I think it can go either way. I think that also plays into how a person views the world. You have on one extreme, third person, looking at the big picture. Everything is like a big play, and I'm just watching how things interact and all the variables. A more first person, self-centered approach would mean more self-responsibility and appreciation for ones own actions. I'd bet more good deeds have been done by self-centered good people, than big-picture good people. Because the big picture gives you every excuse not to get involved. Obviously you need both.

Rad angle on that! Sort of like comparing globalists to the local-only crowd; they both mean well but their results will be valued differently by different observers.

So Multiple protagonist works in your favor when the battles are close calls or tough to get through, and they build that comaraderie and brotherhood between the protagonists. Then when one of them dies or something bad happens to them, they are connected not only through the story, but by the players own interactive experiences with them. I played BFME2 a bit, and I loved playing as goblins. They can be tough but they really have to stick together and can really do well. Whenever I have some goblin warriors get seperated and just overrun by some cavalry it is a sad hopeless feeling lol.

But do your squished goblins invoke the same feelings as when you lose Cloud's party? Now that I think of it, BFME2's hero creator actually made the attempt to get the player more connected and it did actually work for me a bit.

But it's all perspectives. I think it's a great OP and it's too bad most people can't discuss the way games emulate reality and vice versa. They take it way too personally when this subject is brought up. Which is even more funny if they don't play games themselves and don't understand what feelings and interactions are being discussed, oh well. Games are a great scapegoat and like all scapegoats, they are approached in this same manner by those who want to use them as such.

Sadly, it's like any other step in societal evolution; we just have to wait for antiquated ideas to die before new ones are allowed to flourish. I think somebody looking back at this conversation 10 years from now will be astonished at the luddite fear many people have about the taboos of considering reality as something that could be emulated.

Good analysis, by the way.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

we (humans) see time as a physical property , and i agree we are in fact in a simulation( a game throws people off topic)or matrix. in order to be in a simulated game there has to be a CREATOR and if there is a CREATOR than there has to be a PURPOSE. AND if there is a PURPOSE here has to be ACCOUNTABILITY....DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE THE CREATOR. and yes we are in a matrix but GOD is outside the time domain...thus being the creator.we can prove this threw biblical prophecy(writing things years before they happen.)

Don't you believe that the Judeo-Christian god of the bible created humanity in his own image? Why do you think we create? If we are created in an image after God, don't you think that our natural compulsion would be to create what God created? Do you think that "image" only means physically? If so, why wouldn't we all look identical? Obviously, the bible meant more by that than just cosmetics similarities.

You shouldn't struggle with this because it does not challenge your religious beliefs (I'm assuming you are a Christian judging by your name). As far as your connections between CREATOR --> PURPOSE --> ACCOUNTABILITY, it could all be seen in any creation by humans. Look at a game of Chess. It was CREATED by the Gupta Empire, with the PURPOSE of removing the opponent's king from the board. The ACCOUNTABILITY is your behavior as you play.

This pattern can be seen in everything we create. It's okay that we emulate God-like behavior and it shouldn't bother you. Naturally, "playing God" should be admired by people of faith just as trying to copy other behavior from their deities (you try to act like your Jesus, no?).

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

yes he is my idol and that is exactly what we should aim for being like Jesus, because once you accept him as your savior his spirit dwells in you and one who fears GOD should not try to play god because of the respect and love we have for him.we as humans cannot create any thing from nothing unlike our GOD, Einsteins e=mc2 speaks of all the matter in the universe as simply changing from liquid to gas and so on and so on but not a single atom is ever lost it simply changes in to energy or takes another form.we are stuck in this virtual reality that GOD has created for his own purpose.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

reply to post by Cuervo

The ACCOUNTABILITY is your behavior as you play.
NO sir ACCOUNTABILITY IMPLIES JUDGMENT

).

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

NO sir ACCOUNTABILITY IMPLIES JUDGMENT
at the END OF THE GAME (your life)
edit on 26-9-2011 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

yes he is my idol and that is exactly what we should aim for being like Jesus, because once you accept him as your savior his spirit dwells in you and one who fears GOD should not try to play god because of the respect and love we have for him.we as humans cannot create any thing from nothing unlike our GOD, Einsteins e=mc2 speaks of all the matter in the universe as simply changing from liquid to gas and so on and so on but not a single atom is ever lost it simply changes in to energy or takes another form.we are stuck in this virtual reality that GOD has created for his own purpose.

But why? Why is that where you think people of your religion should stop in your quest to be "Christ-like"? If it is a sin to "play God" then I'm guessing you are all screwed. On an electron level, several cases have demonstrated that electrons behave (and sometimes appear from nothing) simply by being observed. Like it or not, you create just by existing. Can't get much more "Christ-like" than that. You should celebrate mankind's creations, not chastise it for fear of one-upping your version of god.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

you've been playing way too many games,it is not a sin to wanna be like CHRIST it is a sin to think you can compare to him,all things we have invented have led to our dumbing down of society, lazyness and our own destruction,if GOD did not exist we would be extinct right now.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

""But why? Why is that where you think people of your religion should stop in your quest to be "Christ-like"?""

This quest never stops because in this reality can never be achieved

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

you've been playing way too many games,it is not a sin to wanna be like CHRIST it is a sin to think you can compare to him,all things we have invented have led to our dumbing down of society, lazyness and our own destruction,if GOD did not exist we would be extinct right now.

I never said it is a sin to be like your god. You did. You said it is a sin to create. What do you claim your god does? Create. So if it is a sin to create, it is a sin to be like your god. Personally, I'm siding with your bible on the issue and think you are simply wrong.

reply to post by Cuervo

""But why? Why is that where you think people of your religion should stop in your quest to be "Christ-like"?""

This quest never stops because in this reality can never be achieved

What can't be achieved? Creation? We do it all the time. Why do you think it is some mortal sin to create things? And I'm not even trying to give a value statement on the phenomenon, I simply provided evidence for you to analyze. If you are offended, the I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

you are just way off,you obviously don't understand any of what i am saying.
i think your x box is calling you.GOD bless

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

you are just way off,you obviously don't understand any of what i am saying.
i think your x box is calling you.GOD bless

At first I thought your folksy ignorance and dismissive way of dealing with my topic was cute and funny but you get increasingly insulting with it. You still think this is about "playing a lot of video games" and you couldn't be further from correct. I guess I can't expect you to look past the medium and inspect the actual substance of the report.

Just because I don't look towards the church of men to steer my spirituality doesn't mean you should automatically think I'm trying to somehow disprove or insult your cult. I was holding my tongue because it was honestly fun listening to you but I feel I'd be doing you a disservice allowing you to leave without one last attempt to get you to take a long hard look at your beliefs and ask where they truly come from.

Surely, a set of dogmatic beliefs that encourage you to cast judgement on others and to discredit wonderful creations of art and function... can't possibly be from a deity that creates and loves.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wow. Look at how many of our ATS trolls have managed to find a rickety old soapbox to climb up on.

I play video games. A lot. I have been good enough with FPS's to be forced to change my online name on XBOX Live, because no one would play when i entered a room (GTA IV, a couple years ago).

I also contribute to society. I do charity work through Rotary International, serve on civic boards, and run a company. Successfully raise 2 boys, and act as a loyal husband.

I swear, you people and your stupid stereotypes. Can we not talk about the deeper aspects of the philosophical debate posed by the OP? Or do we need to have a "You must be this tall to ride" sign on this thread for the mental midgets?

OP: great post. I have often considered the holographic universe concept. You have really put some outstanding philosophical work into creating this thread. Of course, I will ponder it. And I will likely be back with more thoughts.

Don't let the reading challenged deter you.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

my sources come from 66 different books written by 40 different authors over thousands of years,and yet we know it is an integrated message from outside our time domain.you dont understand anything about quantum mechanics, the fact that you feel better about your self when you play a role playing game,shows how low you think of your-self maybe you can only feel good about your self in this "reality of yours" mabey thats why your addicted to these, maybe you re trying to hide from reality itself. your mind is playing tricks on you
JESUS LOVES YOU-

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

my sources come from 66 different books written by 40 different authors over thousands of years,and yet we know it is an integrated message from outside our time domain.you dont understand anything about quantum mechanics, the fact that you feel better about your self when you play a role playing game,shows how low you think of your-self maybe you can only feel good about your self in this "reality of yours" mabey thats why your addicted to these, maybe you re trying to hide from reality itself. your mind is playing tricks on you
JESUS LOVES YOU-

Now you are being a troll. I never said anything about feeling better about myself when I play role-playing games, YOU did. I never said anything about being "addicted" to anything, YOU did. Everything you say that is negative are things that YOU made up. And you think that my mind is playing tricks on me?

And while you are here, please explain to me exactly what it is that I do not understand about quantum mechanics. In fact, I'd love to hear your actual opinion on it without bringing in your superstitious cult lingo into it. I've been more than patient with you but it's time for you to actually be relevant or to stop posting on this thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join