It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to deploy 2 army brigades in Arctic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
this shocking and alarming. 2 brigades is more than enough to wipe out the entire canadian military and conquer canada.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You're forgetting the Third World Power.
It's because of them the Russians are taking these measures, just like those bunkers they want to build around Moscow.

He will come from the north; he will come unexpectedly upon in poison living earthly world; he will shake all at once – and his power will be invincible.

Sajaha 12:1
bookofsajaha.wordpress.com...
edit on 2-7-2011 by Regenstorm because: edit

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

They will continue to expect help from the US military to defend their borders, as they always have.

Exactly when has Canada needed the US to defend it's borders?
Just one or two examples should do.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What most people don't know is that the Russian military is a conscript military...meaning every young man HAS to serve unless they get an exemption (health reasons, bribe paid to proper official etc...). This accounts for the low morale and lack of professionalism because most of them don't want to be there. A few years back, the government didn't even have the money to pay the military which didn't have a good effect on an already @issed off group of young kids. Here's a link :

en.rian.ru...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by InnerTruths
I wonder how Canada will respond to this. I will def. keep an eye out for more developing news.
Thank you for sharing!

They will continue to expect help from the US military to defend their borders, as they always have.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last Updated: Thursday, 2 August 2007,

Russian mini-submarine The Mir-I is one of two Russian craft that dived to the Arctic floor Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

edit on 1-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

The only reason the US has interest in defending the northern parts of Canada is the missile defense shield. If the US didn't have that infrastructure to defend the US wouldn't be in Canada.Canada was approached by the US for the missile defense shield since the infrastructure would have to be placed in the northern parts of Canada a deal was struck between our countrys. When Canada let the US build there missile defense shield the deal was that they include Canada in that shield and the US would protect there infrastructure.

Why would my country be responsible for defending US infrastructure.We are not. The US is responsible for defending the huge military target they placed there.The only reason the US helps Canada is the fact we made a deal with the US if we let you build the defense shield you defend it.! In return for us letting the US build the defense shield you also protect us with the shield as well.

I found you're comments condescending towards my country you obviously don't have all of the facts.About why the US helps defend my country's borders.

This will help explain it to you.
Have a nice day.
csis.org...
edit on 2-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

War over the Arctic? .. Why can't we ever fight a war in a nice location .. a nice warm climate with nice beaches or temperate climates. No .. it's always barren wastelands, deserts and who knows, maybe a frozen, barren tundra.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Lots of nice oil and gas just sitting up ther that WE wont go get...so why not them?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The US and Canadian Coast Guards work together, and the US supplies the air defense in cooperation with Canada on their East and Western seaboards. But for the most part I can't think of anything that Canada would need defending from. Honestly if there wasn't a guard at the crossing I wouldn't even realized I crossed into Canada.

Today, NORAD operates radars in the United States and Canada, oriented outward, to detect air attacks from foreign countries. NORAD augments these radars by communicating with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which operates its own radars, and by flying E-3 AWACS aircraft. NORAD commands F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon, and Canadian CF-18 fighter aircraft flying combat air patrols (CAP) and on strip alert (prepared to take off on short notice).

www.fas.org...

The US Air National Guard patrols Canada's Western Seaboard.
I think it's diminished a lot since 2001 though .. we went from being Canada's friend in all matters and seeing them as a sibling to treating them like an ignorant child that shouldn't be trusted. I mean seriously I need a passport to get back from Canada into the US. It's quite sad that the Government used fear and terror to distance ourselves from our peaceful neighbor, while doing absolutely nothing about the Anarchy of drug wars in the South. But I digress.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
this shocking and alarming. 2 brigades is more than enough to wipe out the entire canadian military and conquer canada.

reply to post by randomname

Who are you to make a comment like that ? Do you know how many are in our military? Do you also know that during WWII that Canada fought in the most dangerous battles. We also had less fatality's than the US per capita.And also engaged in battles no one elts wanted to fight.

Yet another condescending arrogant comment directed to my country.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I wounder if this has anything to do with the huge mineral and oil resorses located in northern russia and siberia.Something has come to the attention of the russians and there trying to protect it.Don;t blame them for that.I beleive Australia ,canada and china are three other countries who have vast mineral and oil resorces but only mine a small persentage of what is actually there.I beleive 80% of all mineral resorces on the planet has never been discovered yet.Tasmania for a small state in Australia it has one of the biggest mineral deposits in such a small area in the world.Unfortunatly 80% of this area is locked up in national parks and cannot be touched by mining companies.I am guessing canada would be the same with its national parks .

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament

The only reason the US has interest in defending the northern parts of Canada is the missile defense shield. If the US didn't have that infrastructure to defend the US wouldn't be in Canada....

Hardly. The United States and Canada have many varied mutual interests. They are two massive countries making up the significant portion of a continent, N. America. Both countries represent their mutual interests of stability, which is why the militaries have a long history of co-operation. Russia impeding on contested Arctic land puts the US and Canad's interest in the same place. Keeping the ruskies out of mineral rich land they both want to dominate.
edit on 2-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: clean up quote

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

"Needed" is an interesting perspective. Are you denyng that Canada benefits from a cozy relationship with the world's dominant superpower for the past 6 decades, who just so happens to inhabit the land immediately south of their border?

"Relying" can mean knowing it is there. The Canadian government knows it can rely on the US military for protection of their mutual interests. Canada is VERY close to Russia, and the land in the arctic is hotly contested. If not for the knowledge that the American-funded NORAD and other varied Continental defense mechanisms, Canada would have had to spend the last 6 decades deeply investing in their own security mechanisms. As it stands, they have had the benefit of relying on the knowledge of the American's proximity and cozy mutual understanding.

So, has Canada 'been attacked'? No. Why not?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife

I wasn't sure if anyone would pick that one up.....

It comforts me to know you were silly in jest.

I agree that eventually we will be able to harness that energy. But for now, with current technology, it is quite difficult. ive.

I think we are all on the same side. I just believe that all of this military movement and political claims of the Arctic is pointless.

Nothing will change.

Oh, looking forward, I suspect it will change. The arctic sure appears to be changing. And where there is some 90 billion barrels of oil, there's a way. That's a LOT of money to be had by whoever can get to it and defend it first, I suspect.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Canada definately relied on the U.S. during the cold war as major Canadian cities were known to be targeted by soviet ICBM's, especially Canada's major northern air bases and early warning radar sites. My uncle who flew with the Canadian Air Force during the 1960's always told us that Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa and Calgary were all secondary ICBM targets. Canada's answer was to arm their aircraft, or have on stand-by, nuclear weapons such as the AIR-2 Genie 1.5kt air to air missile carried by the CF-101 Voodoo aircraft and the CF-104 Starfighter. Lesser known is the fact that some Canadian aircraft were armed with the B28 1.1 megaton nuclear bomb to counter advancing soviet forces across the arctic circle and in europe to enforce NATO's barrier. The fact that Canada was armed with U.S. built nuclear weapons is something very few Canadians know about as well as just how important the arctic is/was in terms of soviet/russian attack.

It's still rumored that Canada still keeps a hefty stockpile of some type of nuclear weapons at the underground base at CFB Cold Lake and elsewhere.

This is excellent reading for those who are interested:

Canadian Nuclear Weapons
edit on 3-7-2011 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
You all much watch the movie"The Deep" about the oil under the artic! Maybe there is some thruth about that? Or maybe they found something what we don't now about?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by bandito

That is why i said 'help'. As in, helping their own military. Canada has a long-standing relationship with the US in terms of national defense. Are you denying this?

www.canada.com...

www.canada.com...
edit on 1-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

Actually it's short-standing, really only starting during WWII.

Before that the US was always trying to attack (Invasion of Canada - 1775, War of 1812, or assimilate Canada (Alaska boundary dispute - 1903, BC annexation attempt - 1867, US tried to use Louis Riel to annex early Manitoba, etc etc).

John A. McDonald himself even said that Canada should never give up her economic, political or military sovereignty to the US, because they will assume they control us (oh how I wish I could find this quote on the internet to show you).

So please explain how Canada proper needs or wants the US to back us up on our own territory. When did we ever need them before? The Cold War? No, we only allowed DEW stations and NORAD as concessions to aggressive American foreign policy; if we resisted by continuing our own first-rate military industrial complex then we might've proved to be too much of a threat ourselves.

Our leaders who cut up the Arrows thought they were doing the right thing to ballance the problem that was presented to them at the time (how not to get invaded by either the US or USSR). I doubt they ever intended for actual military integration, which is much more of a threat to our sovereignty that Russia is.

"Needed" is an interesting perspective. Are you denyng that Canada benefits from a cozy relationship with the world's dominant superpower for the past 6 decades, who just so happens to inhabit the land immediately south of their border?

Cozy, eh? America treats us like we are its whore. If we step out of line now the US would have no quarrels with smacking us, hence why our leadership obeys those corporate lobbyist scum from Washington. Our leadership has made a serious mistake in underestimating the collective mindset of the Canadian population and what we will do for our sovereignty if pushed enough by foreign interests. We will never back down from both the threat of foreign imposition and corporate dictatorship.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

To imply the only reason Canada hasn't been invaded is because of it's proximity to the US is just plain wrong!
I would suggeest that no-one has had a need or reason to want to invade or declare war on Canada.

Of course Canada and the US work closely together and are great allies, and that is as it should be, and I'm sure both benefit from the arrangement, but to suggest Canada relies solely on the US is pretty wide of the mark and as has been mentioned previously this cosy relationship is a relatively new one.

I think it's also worth mentioning that behind that laid back exterior Canadians are very resilient and their Armed Forces are well repsected.

I suspect that both the Arctic and Antarctic will be the focus of much investment and development over the next 10 - 20 plus years with lots of political manoeuvring.
With so much at stake who knows how things may develop?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Maybe they're sending them up there to check out some notes Admiral Byrd made in his diary??

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Looks like my home Country of Canada is sending troops there aswell!
www.windsorstar.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

To imply the only reason Canada hasn't been invaded is because of it's proximity to the US is just plain wrong!

No, conversely, to suggest that Canada's relationship with the world's largest superpower is a non issue is wrong.

I would suggeest that no-one has had a need or reason to want to invade or declare war on Canada.

Then you are ignoring Canada's massive amount of resources and land, which is what wars are fought over, if you forgot.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join