It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to deploy 2 army brigades in Arctic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Russia to deploy 2 army brigades in Arctic

www.google.com

MOSCOW (AP) — Russia's defense minister says the military will deploy two army brigades to help protect the nation's interests in the Arctic.

Anatoly Serdyukov says his ministry is working out specifics, such as troops numbers, weapons and bases, but a brigade includes a few thousand soldiers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Serdyukov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying Friday the brigades could be based in Murmansk, Arkhangelsk or other areas.

Russia, the U.S., Canada, Denmark and Norway have been trying to assert jurisdiction over parts of the Arctic, believed to hold up to a quarter of the Earth's undiscovered oil and gas.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Russia "remains open for dialogue" with its polar neighbors, but will "strongly and persistently" defend its interests in the region.

It seems that the battle for the Arctic seems to become more serious. After dialogs and claims, Russia is first to bring in a significant number of troops. I wonder which country is next to join the race.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just a few weeks ago, somebody started a thread about why there aren't any accessible satellite images of the North Pole available to us. Most people agreed that satellites would have to go out of their way to take snapshots of the Arctic and that it would just be impractical. But it sounds a lot more shady, now, after reading this article =/

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
wow, very interesting. As the ice caps melt countries are going to want their share of the resources being exposed. And it looks like Russia's the first one to say they're not necessarily gonna claim theirs peacefully.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Great news!
They will be defeated when the manure will hit the mill!

The truth is so unbelievable that no one will believe it.

No comment.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wonder how Canada will respond to this. I will def. keep an eye out for more developing news.
Thank you for sharing!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Real cold up there...I was with the Artic Infantry for 2 years...they can have it

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerTruths
I wonder how Canada will respond to this. I will def. keep an eye out for more developing news.
Thank you for sharing!

They will continue to expect help from the US military to defend their borders, as they always have.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last Updated: Thursday, 2 August 2007,

Russian mini-submarine The Mir-I is one of two Russian craft that dived to the Arctic floor Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

edit on 1-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Today on the news I heard about all the troops canada is pulling out of afganistan... Maybe they will not be home for too long afterall.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No way they can be used to invade another land mass...too long a supply line and russia is on the ropes military wise anyway...its some kind of face saving move...stir things up...US Troops asigned to Alaska are in Afganistan right now....nobdoy up there to oppose them

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg
No way they can be used to invade another land mass...too long a supply line and russia is on the ropes military wise anyway...its some kind of face saving move...stir things up...US Troops asigned to Alaska are in Afganistan right now....nobdoy up there to oppose them

They arent invading a 'land mass'.

Its about controlling the resources in the arctic, which several different countries claim ownership over (Canada, US, Russia .Much of these resources are under the arctic. LOTS of oil, natural gas.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's been hotting up for months!!

Denmark laid claim to the arctic several months ago www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure what soldiers will do in that region. Its not like a war would be fought up there. The elements, supply lines, and shear logistics would be incredible to overcome.

Not to mention the impossibility of accessing the majority of the resources in that area. How do you drill an oil well when the land it would sit on is constantly shifting and melting?

Plus, who in their right mind would work there?

Just a flex of muscles. I'd be surprised if any troops end up being stationed there at all.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife

Not to mention the impossibility of accessing the majority of the resources in that area. How do you drill an oil well when the land it would sit on is constantly shifting and melting?

The same way they do all offshore drilling.

Just a flex of muscles. I'd be surprised if any troops end up being stationed there at all.

agreed. much like their flag planting from 2007 on the arctic sea floor.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

They will continue to expect help from the US military to defend their borders, as they always have.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last Updated: Thursday, 2 August 2007,

Russian mini-submarine The Mir-I is one of two Russian craft that dived to the Arctic floor Russian explorers have planted their country's flag on the seabed 4,200m (14,000ft) below the North Pole to further Moscow's claims to the Arctic.

Canada defends it's own boarders. We just happen to share one of the biggest land boarders with the US. That doesn't mean we do not have our own military defense.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

America fought a war with Russia in Siberia from 1918-1920 so it can happen. I like this qoute.

"Wherever a man can go he can drag a gun, wherever he can drag a gun he can shoot it."

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Originally posted by InnerTruths
Thank you for sharing!

Oh really . I happen to know something about this , which you obviously don't but Google can be your friend . Over the last few years Canada has scrambled fighters , F-18's several times from Cold Lake Alberta with refueling tankers to intercept Russian bombers about to enter the airspace . So have we out of Alaska . Canada backs us up and we back them up . Several years ago Canada built CSOR out of Camp Petewawa . Canadian Special Operations Regiment , a rapid reaction force of airborne light fighters that can be dropped anywhere , but the prime mission is the Arctic . Heavy arming and training of the Canadian Rangers over the last couple of years . Inuit people from the Arctic armed and trained to fight and those people have been there for the last 3,000 years . We've never defended Canadian borders but should anyone present a threat to either of us , we're both in the fight .

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Agree with Bandito here. The Artic airspace could be relevant in a conflict.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

That is why i said 'help'. As in, helping their own military. Canada has a long-standing relationship with the US in terms of national defense. Are you denying this?

www.canada.com...

www.canada.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homedawg

How is Russia on the ropes military wise?

They are planning up to 6 aircraft carriers.
At least one has been announced will be nuclear powered.
They are planning new destroyers that may be nuclear powered as well.

They have a new 5th gen fighter on the way.

Do you want me to go on about how they are modernizing their military?

Invading a land mass? You mean how America invades land masses?
Your one to talk.

Russia has as much right to the Arctic as anyone else bordering it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join