It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G.I.'s get armor add-ons.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The body armor for a gunner abord a tank or humvee is designed t odtop a bullet from a head on attack. Most insurgents in Iraq attack form the isdes or a blast from a roadside bomb comes from the side. This caused the Pentagon to develope a addo n for all gunners in military vehicles which will protcet their back, front arms, and their side from a bomb or bullet.

A G.I.'s body armor is designed, mostly, to stop head-on attacks, or to keep a soldier from getting shot in the back. But in Iraq, insurgents aren't coming straight at the soldiers. So roadside bombs and rocket-propelled grenades are hurting U.S. troops in places the Pentagon never thought to toughen up.

That's why the Army and Sandia National Laboratories are rolling out new body armor add-ons, designed to shield troops' flanks and arms.

Gunners standing in a Humvees circular roof opening are particularly vulnerable to the blasts of grenades and improvised explosive devices. The menacing blast creates a superheated armor that forms tiny liquid balls of metal that melt the skin, muscle and tendons right off and expose the bone to be destroyed by shrapnel, leaving a limb so mangled it must be amputated.

The brainchild of a retired Army colonel and [Sandia] scientist, the Sandia Gauntlet is a Kevlar sleeve with armor plate inserts intended to protect troops in Humvees. Six layers of Kevlar will block the heat from an explosion, and the carbon composite armor plates shield the forearm and biceps. Each sleeve weighs 4 pounds and does not interfere with operating the machine gun, Jones said. A quick-release buckle allows for easy removal...

Armor add-ons.

It might not be the most attractive thing but it will save your life and save your arms from being blown off.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I think they should soon develop a body armor cooler, that stuff sure looks hot under the sun.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Waaah - Can't they get this stuff out any faster under the circumstances? I got a little gunner friend over there (Iraq) and didn't realize how vulnerable this position really was (aside from the fact that if he's got the big gun obviously he's quite a target to begin with)- probably shouldn't have read this, I worry about him enough.

But thanks for the info. I'll forward him the link to see what he thinks about all this.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Our soldiers already have a vest to cool them down but the army is working on another one which will come out next year and it will with just a tenth form the one now.

A new, lightweight cooling vest, using ammonia and powered by hydrocarbon fuel, could soon be helping US soldiers cope with the heat of battle.

Troops wearing biological and chemical protection suits, or other forms of protective clothing, can very quickly succumb to heat exhaustion if working in a warm environment. And if the weather is very hot, even personnel in ordinary clothing can be severely limited in their capabilities.

Some wearable cooling systems already exist and are used by astronauts, for example. But these are based on pumping cooled water through the vest's tubes. This requires substantial power, making these systems too heavy to be carried.

Now, funded by the US Army, engineers at the Department of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and Oregon State University are developing a cooling vest that promises to be just a tenth of the weight.

Coolant vests

Also being a gunner you have a lot of firepower and you are pretty well protected from the front. If an insurgent pops out from the side or back he is not going to shoot at the armored car, he is aiming for the person sticking out on top.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Not just too hot to wear,I doubt you can barely move!
Been tried before,including full body armour that will stop a .308.
never caught on. Perspiration ruins the effectiveness of some kinds of body armour. You cannot move easilly,even the police dropped these.
Just like forcing your men to wear face shields.They fog up in heat or cold.
Lastly,just how expensive is it? I hate to sound apathetic, but there is a limit as to how much you can equip a soldier or you will bankrupt your country.Sorry to say, dogfaces are expendable, always were,always will be.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Oh I get it! Your casualty figures are getting to be an embarrasment so somebody thought this up? You never get the message until the soldiers come back maimed.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge
Lastly,just how expensive is it? I hate to sound apathetic, but there is a limit as to how much you can equip a soldier or you will bankrupt your country.Sorry to say, dogfaces are expendable, always were,always will be.

Tell that to their mothers - that was totally uncalled for. (expendable dogfaces? - nice)

Anyway, from what I'm hearing back we ARE going all out for these guys, what do you know anyway?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The wave of future infantry and gunners will be less big body armor and more shielding from Exo-Suits or Nano-bot suits.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Just how did that expression "Dogface" come about? You break 'em then you use them up!
My own experience...they drop your issue of equipment (well used or worn out) and nobody tells you how to put it together.
What is this? Coleman stoves? Is this a camping ground? One just blew up!
Here.American ration boxes.Don't eat the pork.You will get botchilsm.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well, my little buddy already has it and here is what he had to say about it in a quick note back to me:

"yes the new armor is Safer, but I really hate it. it's like 135 degrees here on average how the heck am i supposed to wear that stuff. It covers your ribs and shoulders. They certainly didn't think about being comfortable when designing it, but yes we did get it so i guess the army does love me. I do see plenty of units running around without it on. "

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Heres what we need for our gunners.

New Humvee Weapons System Keeps Gunner Inside

One of the most dangerous jobs in Iraq is acting as a gunner during convoy movements. Even up-armored Humvees, which provide added protection for most of the crew, leave the gunner exposed.

But for the gunners assigned to four special up-armored Humvees in Iraq, convoy movements are a different experience: instead of spending the drive hunched in the turret, scanning their sectors and hoping for the best, these soldiers are comfortably seated the back of the vehicle, eyes glued to a computer screen and right hand on a PlayStation-like joystick. If the gunner, or someone else in the convoy, identifies a threat, the press of a button instantly slews the gun mounted atop the Humvee in the right direction. Then the flip of a switch puts steel on target.

Throughout the ordeal, the gunner is safe inside the armored shell of the vehicle. The system these gunners are testing is called CROWS, for the Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station. Designed to be mounted aboard a variety of vehicles, from armored Humvees to the new Stryker, CROWS supports the MK19 grenade machine gun, 50-caliber M2 machine gun, M249 semi-automatic weapon, and the M240B machine gun.

www.roi.bourns.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What ever happened to the motto "He who dares ,wins!" ?

So just sit around in these armoured suits. Didn't work in Viet Nam fellas!

My experience ,you just keep movin'. When stationary,you dig a trench.Can't do that with a vest on....

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Personally I think the Army should dump some serious money into spider silk development, apparently you can make it out of goatsmilk. It's light and flexible as cloth and you could weave it into BDUs....or even make BDUs out of it. It'd only work against fragments and low velocity bullets though, the spider silk isn't hard enough and would go with the bullet into you, so you need some hard material to go over vital areas.

Which brings me to a question, for maximum protection would you put the soft armor over or under the hard armor?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The Future Warrior system will use soft armour from head to toe that will turn hard when it sense a round impacting it.

I think bullet proof vest now use the hard armour plate over the soft Kevlar. Atleast thats how mine works.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
The Future Warrior system will use soft armour from head to toe that will turn hard when it sense a round impacting it.

I think bullet proof vest now use the hard armour plate over the soft Kevlar. Atleast thats how mine works.

Kevlar isn't that soft at all. That's why they're suspending it in shear thickening fluid, which hardens on impact.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Spider's silk is not as strong as most people think. I believe that weight for weight spider's silk is about as strong as nylon fibres and weaker than Kevlar.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Spider silk's tensile strength is such that it can withstand weight of up to 300,000 pounds per square inch.

Dragline silk is the component of a spiders web that radiates from the centre of the web. Its strength and toughness are unparalleled by any man-made fibre. It is in fact three times tougher then aramid fibre and has a strength five times greater then steel on a per weight basis.

Spider silk is way stronger then anything man has created

spiders silk long being viewed as the holy grail of materials science

[edit on 11-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kozzy

Kevlar isn't that soft at all. That's why they're suspending it in shear thickening fluid, which hardens on impact.

But when people talk about soft and hard armour soft refers to Kevlar and hard refers to metal or ceramic plates.

Its just a term used to describe the two forms of armour

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Spider silk's tensile strength is such that it can withstand weight of up to 300,000 pounds per square inch.

Dragline silk is the component of a spiders web that radiates from the centre of the web. Its strength and toughness are unparalleled by any man-made fibre. It is in fact three times tougher then aramid fibre and has a strength five times greater then steel on a per weight basis.

Spider silk is way stronger then anything man has created

spiders silk long being viewed as the holy grail of materials science

[edit on 11-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

High grade Kevlar can withstand approximately 3.4 GPa of pressure or 493000PSI. Certain Nylon polymers can also withstand approximately 300000PSI as well. In addition the strongest man made material is of course carbon nanotubes which managed to reach 63 GPa or 9.1 million PSI.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The future is a gun without the gunner. The gunner can stay inside the humvees or vehicle and control the gun with cameras and control handles. But until our troops get this system in a couple of years Kevlar covers will have to do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join