It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Dreams Exist ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Dreams can seem/feel just like the physical world.
Makes you wonder just what is real.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I dont understand the idea of dreams being a gateway to a parallel universe or why and how that would be of any importance to anything... Im sorry but it seems more like a far out fanciful thought then anything relevant or true...

To me it seems that the process of dreaming is extremely similar if not the same process that occurs through out ones waking conscious existence, only while we are asleep, we cannot experience the external material world we are so used to. So only armed with our memory, recent emotions or thoughts, and plenty of material world time,,, our minds, or the soul,spirit, consciousness) which experiences existence, continues to experience itself and its existence during sleep, A dream is like a continuos stream of thought, with less restrictions of our waking personal control, and more subtle information from your entire spirit or soul, or subconscious,.. Its like in order to sleep one must forget themselves and their surroundings and give themselves to the time of night, i think this freedom or letting down of ones guard is what allows dreams to not contain much filters of any kind, but that last bit is just some more personal ideas on the matter, ive thought about before how innocent and peaceful even the most evil and hateful men must be during sleep, and that gives me hope for I know men do not have to be evil.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

You have been doing some reading/ thinking on the subject.

star!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If the mind is THAT intertwined in reality, that it can make a perfect copy of it (our perception of reality), or things have that real feeling to them, then there's really no seperating the two (mind and reality). They are truly one, they are a co-dependent process.

Do you really go somewhere in dreams, parallel universes? I'd say probably not.

Does that mean that the experience is different from waking life, experientially? I'd say not.

What is real and not real has more to do with what you experience than where you are. Really, what if I didn't care which universe or parallel universe I was in at a given time, or what city I was in, etc. And what I knew mattered was the experience, and trying to become more integrated and intimate with the process of experience. What was real to me would be more based on how genuine the experience itself was, not if I could tell you what was going on and how it happened.

There are really a lot of things in life like this. Where you can ask yourself over and over what is the process here, what am I doing? Or you can just live and be yourself and not always hound yourself with these questions. I think there is a time and place to ask "Is this real, is there something real about that dream?" But these questions should be a tiny fraction of our experience, we should spend most of our time in the thick of it, living.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
When you see through your dream eyes, you are not actually in another world, you are seeing with a more subjective base - thus, you can exist in multiple planes of this reality, and the key is your perception.

When you body dies, your astral being and if you are advanced, your light body will escape into the world, you will exist as a free-floating "being" however, when those dissolve, you will emerge into the "other side" or the collective consciousness.

If you are afraid of the "final jump" then the fear barrier will cause you to reincarnate.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Great thread OP

Dreams. They are truly wonderful. Sometimes I dream in first person, then other times in third person. That is odd within itself.

A few times I even realized I was dreaming. Alas, that was in my younger years. I just wanted to fly. If it happens again I hope to try and gain access to my subconscious. Sometimes I think that dreams are just the thoughts of our sub-conscience. Most of my dreams I don't even remember.

The greatest thing about dreams though, and this is just my opinion, is that I get to see my loved one's. Whether they are far off, or they have passed on.

Once again great thread.

Conc.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion1

Very nice post Conc. Good reference to loved ones, that I wish I would've considered in the OP. I believe you touched on something there, that absolutely makes dreaming something very special. No matter how real they are ? They give the soul a chance, to see some one you miss so terribly. So thru dreams we can actually see life become a little less lonely. Certainly more tolerable. You my friend, continue to amaze me.

God love ya Conc

Randyvious

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Do 'dreams' exist?

Yes and on multiple levels. They exist as a function of the brain organizing the information in your head. This function incites these dreams which are a product of your subconscious mind (past experiences). Dreams also have an effect on our future experiences either consciously or subconsciously.

So they definitely exist on a metaphysical level as some sort of electrical energy function that your brain naturally produces when you sleep (as measured by an EEG). Precise function is relatively unknown but generally its productive.

Dreams also have an effect on people which varies in strength with the dream and belief in the power of dreams.

I suggest reading some Freud who provides interesting but rather controversial opinions about dreams.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Dreams do exists at some level, and I believe that each person has different capabilities when dreaming.
Some dream nothing but nonsense its all random, others dream about their lives using metaphors and some have dreams that are very close to reality.

I know when I dream it is like stepping into another world...I am just an observer peering out of the eyes of someone I have never met...or its me in an ideal situation. I have experience physical pain in dreams and upon waking up the pain lingers for a few moments. I have dreamed about holding an object in my hand, slowly waking up from the dream with the feeling of the object still in my hand and when I finally open my eyes and look at my hands nothing is there.

Dreams are as real as you want them to be, but be careful because some dreams are hard to wake up from.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Eastern1Stranger

I like that you say - i am an obsever looking out of someone elses eyes in a dream.
Maybe this 'waking state' is also a dream and i am looking out of this characters eyes.
But who is this 'I' looking out?

I like to think that it is dreams stacked on dreams all the way. What is seen is the dream, dream cars and dream people, all made of dream. Even this character that i 'think' is me is part of the dream, really though 'I' am just looking through the eyes.
This 'I' ( or eye) is just the eye, it can only see (know) the dream.
The dream just happens like a movie and it is seen, there is an awareness of it.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Do dreams exist? Does anything exist? What does existance mean?
Does five minutes ago exist? Or five minutes from now?
Five minutes ago and your memory of it is no different than remembering a dream.
Where is it now? In your head.
Nothing has any existance.
The world is made of thought.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eastern1Stranger
Dreams do exists at some level, and I believe that each person has different capabilities when dreaming.
Some dream nothing but nonsense its all random, others dream about their lives using metaphors and some have dreams that are very close to reality.

I know when I dream it is like stepping into another world...I am just an observer peering out of the eyes of someone I have never met...or its me in an ideal situation. I have experience physical pain in dreams and upon waking up the pain lingers for a few moments. I have dreamed about holding an object in my hand, slowly waking up from the dream with the feeling of the object still in my hand and when I finally open my eyes and look at my hands nothing is there.

Dreams are as real as you want them to be, but be careful because some dreams are hard to wake up from.

This is another different and very perceptive post. I'm intrigued by your response.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Atheism says in a slightly indirect way, that man is it. That if there is a God ? We are it. We are the highest level of both intelegence and existence, in a world where the levels of such, are observable.

...that sounds more like what a deist would believe...

...since atheism is a disbelief in the concept of gods (and, for the millionth time, thats ALL it means), why would an atheist believe they are something that doesnt exist?... answer - they wouldnt - unless they were reared in a theistic home and havent yet broke through the programming...

Do dreams exist ?

...not outside of your brain...

...dreams are like the recycle bin on a computer... we take in so much info during our waking period and some of it is worthy of retaining but most of it is not... dreaming is our brain wading through the clutter, filing away the stuff we might need in the future, flushing the waste and, then, compressing our storage files...

What I don't understand is why people would confine/limit thier whole lives to only, " observable phenomena ".

...they prefer that mindset... so what?... if we all thought the same, life would be horridly boring...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

You cover some great points Wyn. A bit neg to my poor thread but like you say life would be boring.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Dreams certainly do exist, but only for that brief time that you're in them. When you wake up your dreams collapse and you try to salvage what you can from memory. There's no difference between a dream and your first day of school.

Anyone who has had a dream in which they were in love with someone only to wake up and never see them again would agree that dreams are very real.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
reply to post by randyvs

Dreams are us visiting parallel universes.

I agree!!

I wrote an entire thread on this :Dreams are Travel to Parallel Universes
edit on 30-7-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Well according to the experiences that I have had, dreams are the result of your interaction in this physical world. Dreams could also be the glitches of sub conscious. But if dreams are actually occurring, where are they occurring? Must be inside your brain?!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
reply to post by randyvs

Dreams are us visiting parallel universes.

I agree!!

I wrote an entire thread on this :Dreams are Travel to Parallel Universes

I had the same idea once. But when I had a dream about getting failed marks and my friend tearing my mark sheets to my anger, I regretted my ideas. After all parallel dimensions do contain the same way of life and that seems boring and useless. LOL. The simplest explanation are always the correct ones.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheodoreBundy

K . Couple nights ago I dreamed I found an opening into an underground cavern. The opening was under this large dead tree. I stuck my head in to have a look and there was a giant statue right underneath the dead tree.
The roots of the tree had grown down eerily all around and wrapping tightly to the statue. I climbed down in and at the bottom of the statue I stepped off. Picture an atmosphere of something like the one in Underworld. Dark and gloomy but not pitch black. After a brief look around I scaled the statue to go become famous for the find and the opening was gone. Some one had rolled a rock over the opening just as I tried to exit. I was never in fear at any moment. Do you think such a place exists only in my brain, or that I traveled there in my sleep?
edit on 30-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join