It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Dreams Exist ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Modulators- I tossed a coin between this forum and metaphysics. I think the progression of this thread will testify
that I had good reason for the coin toss. Or do what thou wilt accordingly.

Do dreams exist ? I'm not talking about the measurable, mechanincal workings of the brain during sleep. I'm talking about the images we see, that often portray a message, usually in some metaphorical manner. The dreams themselves. I understand the rules of empirical science in their servitude. What I don't understand is why people would confine/limit thier whole lives to only, " observable phenomena ". Atheism says in a slightly indirect way, that man is it. That if there is a God ? We are it. We are the highest level of both intelegence and existence, in a world where the levels of such, are observable.
So where is the proof that those levels end with us ? Does existence in this world end where this world ends ?
Is this world not part of the universe ? Again where is the proof that the obvious levels of this world end with the this universe ? To apply rules to science ? Damn right. Apply the same rules to your life is just wrong. IMO.

edit on 1-7-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You should first ask, if we exist. IF we do, then how can we dream?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
non-human entities produce your dreams (alb/elf). also known as guardian angels or demons.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
reply to post by randyvs

You should first ask, if we exist. IF we do, then how can we dream?

Then the thread must be speaking in terms of the determined fact that we do exist.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I had a nightmare the other night I got raped by a chimp..then the chimp whispered in my ear "...guess what?...now you have aids..."

whhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy brain whhhyyyyy did you make me dream that!

somone invent memory erasing please.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyTrick

EEWWW that's wrong. The visual on that is only worse I think of myself having the same dream. I suppose I'd
have to go bigfoot hunting with a Winchester after that. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think most are caused by 'random' neuron firings, but eh how do the neurons fire randomly?
If it's quantum interactions that cause the subconscious to work then, perhaps indeed it is real in the spiritual sense. I think Quantum are the key to understanding the spirit, btw. But after earning a degree in psychology, no one has any clue how the subconscious works, how people can have thoughts that aren't induced by the five senses, I think it very may well be Quantum, read soul(it's the first theory I've ever even heard of that explains it).

I don't think all dreams are caused like that. In some dreams, your soul actually travels to a place that actually exists. I've had dreams that are way too vivid and way too real to not actually be real. I'm fairly certain my spirit went somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Dreams are us visiting parallel universes.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I remember watching a channeled message (yeah, it doesn't hold much weight) but the guy was focused on imagination.

"I-Magi-Nation, you are a nation of magicians", the guy said
"Everything you imagine exists somewhere as you cannot imagine non-existance"

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
I think most are caused by 'random' neuron firings, but eh how do the neurons fire randomly?
If it's quantum interactions that cause the subconscious to work then, perhaps indeed it is real in the spiritual sense. I think Quantum are the key to understanding the spirit, btw. But after earning a degree in psychology, no one has any clue how the subconscious works, how people can have thoughts that aren't induced by the five senses, I think it very may well be Quantum, read soul(it's the first theory I've ever even heard of that explains it).

I don't think all dreams are caused like that. In some dreams, your soul actually travels to a place that actually exists. I've had dreams that are way too vivid and way too real to not actually be real. I'm fairly certain my spirit went somewhere else.

That was a nice little read. The book is SOUL right ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

so you believe I was raped by a chimp in a parallel universe? I'm glad I'm not permanently in that universe. Reminds me of that programme sliders.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

so you believe I was raped by a chimp in a parallel universe? I'm glad I'm not permanently in that universe. Reminds me of that programme sliders.

If you believe your dreams are a glimpse of a parallel universe ? I see no obstacles in the way of believing you personally.
What grounds would I have for not believing you dream the things you say you dream. ? Even if the
dream is a nightmare as scary as what you describe ? I hope things like this arn't tormenting you on a regular
basis ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I don't think they are at all, I was joking.

I don't usually have dreams that are that disgusting. Mostly I have dreams about my work or comets/tsunamis even before joining this site. Although reading things on here before going to sleep does seem to help trigger apolcalyptic dreams.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Dreams are truly a wonder, aren't they? But then again, so is the mind itself. For example, look at the incredible beauties in which we can envision...along with the unimaginable terrors that we can produce as well. Of course, these aspects are reflected in our dreams, too.
However, I actually consider dreams one of the few links we have to recognizing that the mind is capable of transcending time.
For instance, the time in which certain dreams seem to take while in R.E.M. sleep do not always coincide with the actual time it took within the physical world. Although, this is in no way absolutely conclusive evidence that it's not merely the 'mind playing tricks' on a person. Then again, these time differentials are not always consistent. I have personally witnessed my own dreams ranging anywhere from a 1:8 hour ratio ( dream time/physical time) up to 3:1 ratio...which is 30 minutes up to a day, based on an 8 hour average. So, I can see why you would ask this question.
If the mind is able to transcend physical time, then it conceivable that it could transcend into any other existing dimension and/or parallel universe. As to our being the highest level of existence, this is based on the fact that we (assuming more than just Me) have yet to personally encounter any other sentient lifeforms, such as extraterrestrials. Truly, this a bold statement coming from a race that has Always been So Proud and Arrogant about what they know...until it's proved Wrong!
Personally I think that it is unreasonable to assume that we are the highest form of sentient existence based upon merely the lack of other sentient life in which to compare us with. Let us Not Forget, and I quote...

We don't know one millionth of 1% of anything...--Thomas Edison

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I guess parallel universe could be the reflection of day to day experience in our lives that create our dreams. Our dreams are created from our experiences, so if you watch a very scary movie and get really scared. Then you will have a nightmare. Or you fear the elite of turning humans into robots and dream about machines being attack by cyber viruses and the danger of trans-humanism.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BrandrTorny

Right on another outstanding response and quote for my collection of quotes. I thank you.

Midnight
So are all or most of your dreams about the things that go on in the day to day then?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by BrandrTorny

Right on another outstanding response and quote for my collection of quotes. I thank you.

Midnight
So are all or most of your dreams about the things that go on in the day to day then?

Nah, it could be about what is disturbing you at the moment too. Like mother missing her son sent to war, so she often dreams of them. It also might involve with what your thinking. That is my guess! I kind of am assuming that dreams correlate with our mental state but it gets process into a dream we need to interpret. It's like our dream uses metaphor to interpret what happens in our everyday life or mental state.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You are Welcome! And thank you for posting such a truly worthy discussion...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Not necessarily.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
A really good thing to do is keep a dream diary. Write down what you remember from your dream as soon as you wake up. It can be a very amusing read a year later or so and you'll probably still remember them as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join