It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: British Government's Plan To Play Down Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Revealed: British Government's Plan To Play Down Fukushima

www.guardian.co.uk

British government officials approached nuclear companies to draw up a co-ordinated public relations strategy to play down the Fukushima nuclear accident just two days after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and before the extent of the radiation leak was known.

Internal emails seen by the Guardian show how the business and energy departments worked closely behind the scenes with the multinational companies EDF Energy, Areva and Westinghouse to try to ensure the accident did not derail ...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
"Scandalous collusion"

This is appalling, while many of us here at ATS have followed the cover up from the beginning,
to have it exposed, its another thing altogether.

How many times did I hear..."well the media says"

Just look at this little snippet - there are many, but this one takes the cake!

"Radiation released has been controlled – the reactor has been protected," said the BIS official, whose name has been blacked out. "It is all part of the safety systems to control and manage a situation like this." www.guardian.co.uk...

And this statement!

This has the potential to set the nuclear industry back globally," wrote one official at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), whose name has been redacted. "We need to ensure the anti-nuclear chaps and chapesses do not gain ground on this. We need to occupy the territory and hold it. We really need to show the safety of nuclear."

Officials stressed the importance of preventing the incident from undermining public support for nuclear power.

So, nevermind the truth of the matter, relay to the public
that which they found presentable, to sway public opinion.

The emails can be read here: www.guardian.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-7-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
--- Makes you wonder who controls the flow of information that we are 'allowed' to know? Now everything is just a corporate controlled propaganda sheet, designed as forms of social engineering.

Guess this is as good a reason to ignore the media. It's tough and you can call me ignorant, but what's the alternative? Lies, spin, BS and Propaganda.

edit on 1-7-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

Edit: Misread the original link, so deleted the bit that made me look silly. Sorry to waste the thread

I find this quote fascinating, it kind of answers my above question.

"This has the potential to set the nuclear industry back globally," wrote one official at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), whose name has been redacted. "We need to ensure the anti-nuclear chaps and chapesses do not gain ground on this. We need to occupy the territory and hold it. We really need to show the safety of nuclear."

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

But there exposing the cover up surely that is a good thing for them to do?
OP: good to see that there cover is getting some media attention and since its the guardian loads of people will see it maybe some people will open there eyes now?

edit on 1-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Edit: to avoid Offtopic warning. Apologies.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Link to the email. ^

also

The Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC) has released more than 80 emails sent in the weeks after Fukushima in response to requests under freedom of information legislation. They also show:

• Westinghouse said reported remarks on the cost of new nuclear power stations by the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, were "unhelpful and a little premature".

• The company admitted its new reactor, AP1000, "was not designed for earthquakes [of] the magnitude of the earthquake in Japan", and would need to be modified for seismic areas such as Japan and California.

• The head of the DECC's office for nuclear development, Mark Higson, asked EDF to welcome the expected announcement of a safety review by the energy secretary, Chris Huhne, and added: "Not sure if EDF unilaterally asking for a review is wise. Might set off a bidding war."

• EDF promised to be "sensitive" to how remediation work at a UK nuclear site "might be seen in the light of events in Japan".

• It also requested that ministers did not delay approval for a new radioactive waste store at the Sizewell nuclear site in Suffolk, but accepting there was a "potential risk of judicial review".

• The BIS warned it needed "a good industry response showing the safety of nuclear – otherwise it could have adverse consequences on the market".

Could be a big turning point for the whole nuclear industry. Best start spreading this info.

Good find OP.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's obvious they would cover it up. Whilst other countries are pledging to rid themselves of nuclear energy in the wake of Fukushima - Our Government is planning on building a whole lot more.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Due to being a bit of a knob, I was going to post a sarcastic reply about using the search function as I had already read about the article on here this morning. Imagine my dismay when I found this rather important news was lost from sight and actually took some searching to find!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What a shame space aliens, moon conspiracies and 9/11 nukes are more important than what was clearly a very real and confirmed conspiracy to lie to the public about an ongoing and very severe international incident.

Apologies burntheships for my original intent that never materialised, S&F for bringing it back to people's attention and for the frankly much better written opening post(s).

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

--- Makes you wonder who controls the flow of information that we are 'allowed' to know?

All still very valid points, yes. Gatekeepers they are called.
This is a huge collusion, all the way up to the BIS. Thats huge.

Not that I ever doubted it, as much as the possibility the media would actually do such
a henious thing...and it was downplayed.

For openers, look at this report out from The BIS just of June 2011.

www.bis.org...

Its all there, just read between the lines.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Yes, indeed I searched several times using every phrase I could think of, the only thing is
that the other op only contained a link, and no snippet from the write up. So, thanks for
your thoughtful reply.

I hope this gets more attention than aliens, but I dobut that will happen.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Thats the UK for you...they've already named the 8 nuclear plant sites, which are going to be on 8 sites already containing nuclear plants...and they're gonna start fracking in my area
Guess I'm not moving anytime soon

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

OP: good to see that there cover is getting some media attention and since its the guardian loads of people will see it maybe some people will open there eyes now?

Maybe, better late than never. I for one have several people I will be forwarding this info to.
Not to say "I told you so" however its an ongoing crisis, and I am sure it wont be the last.

At least then people will know, if they did it once, they would do it again, Standard Operating
Procedure for the media and Government.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I have just written to my M.P about this, to try and ge tit raised in parliament, i doubt it will see the light of day, but we shall see.

Just proves that they are all at it, no matter which government we are talking about, about time that we kicked all these parasites into oblivion, put them onto the unemployment lines that they create, and put some normal people in and see how they do!, cant be any worse than it is now.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Whoever read the Japan thread knew this.

All western governments covered it up.

Now it's just public for the sheeple to see that they actually had a secret plan to do it, so the sheeple can't deny it...

Because I know some of my family would say that ``they didn't lie... they just didn't know the true extent of the crisis``... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Because I know some of my family would say that ``they didn't lie... they just didn't know the true extent of the crisis``... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Why do people go to such a length in defending the media, I will never understand it.
Let alone the governments!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

I have just written to my M.P about this, to try and ge tit raised in parliament, i doubt it will see the light of day, but we shall see.

Just proves that they are all at it, no matter which government we are talking about, about time that we kicked all these parasites into oblivion, put them onto the unemployment lines that they create, and put some normal people in and see how they do!, cant be any worse than it is now.

Good on you, and your right...I think that is my plan of action in the next election.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think the article talks about British reactos and not what occured in Fukashima directly. They, as well as the US, have reactors based on the same design. To allow an incident like Fukashima, which was hit not only with a masive earthquake, but with a tsunami as well, could lead to conclusions that are not the case in terms of British reactors.

Also, an anti nuclear sentiment could form that could prevent new technology recators from being built, based soely on wht occured in Japan.

I dont think their intent was to downplay what happened. I think their intent was to try to seperate what happened in Japan from what needs and safety factors present in the UK. The very begingin of your atticle states that -

Internal emails seen by Guardian show PR campaign was launched to protect UK nuclear plans after tsunami in Japan

edit on 1-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Between this disaster and the wildfires near Los Alamos.
I just ordered two bottles of potassium iodide tablets.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
did they not cover this up ?

it is good to know how it has happened , thanks op

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Former party chief executive in Scotland says Huhne must go over 'conspiracy' to protect nuclear industry

"A prominent Liberal Democrat has called for Chris Huhne to resign immediately as energy and climate change secretary after emails were released detailing his officials' efforts to co-ordinate a PR response to the Fukushima disaster with the nuclear industry."

"Civil servants in the energy and business departments were apparently trying to minimise the impact of the disaster on public support for nuclear power."

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 1-7-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I dont think their intent was to downplay what happened. I think their intent was to try to seperate what happened in Japan from what needs and safety factors present in the UK. The very begingin of your atticle states that -

The article may have been a bit unclear, but from the March 13th email it is clear, that the Fukushima disaster should be controlled with PR measures. The author of the email seems to have been unaware, how dire the situation really was.

With regard to the nuclear events in Japan. I have been watching over the wkend (sic). We need to work together on this and have very strong coordinated messages. There is risk here that this event could impact on the global industry. We need to ensure the anti-nuclear chaps and chapessess do not gain ground on this. We need to occupy the territory and hold it....

...From web searches I can see anti-nuclear people across Europe have wasted no time of blurring this all into Chernobyl and the works.

We need to get into context – show that events in Japan – whilst looking dramatic are all part of the safety processes of this 1960s reactor. We also need to pull out the additional safety of Gen III. Robert's interview on Friday where he talked about Gen III meaning what goes on inside the reactor stays inside the reactor should come to the fore

Should also highlight and show that his is what has happened even with the 1960s reactor in Japan, radiation released has been controlled – the reactor has been protected. We really need to show the safety of nuclear. We need to quash any stories trying to compare this to Chernobyl – by using the facts to discredit.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 1-7-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: typo

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join