It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Calls For 13 Counties To Secede From California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Official Calls For 13 Counties To Secede From California

losangeles.cbslocal.com

Is the state of California about to go “South”?

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone apparently thinks so, after proposing that the county lead a campaign for as many as 13 Southern California counties to secede from the state.

Stone said in a statement late Thursday that Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono counties should form the new state of South California.

The creation of the new state would allow officials to focus on securing borders, balancing budgets, improving schools and creating a vibra
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

“Our taxes are too high, our schools don’t educate our children well enough, unions and other special interests have more clout in the Legislature than the general public,” Stone said in his statement.

I think these types of campaigns will grow in popularity across the US. Too many people are disillusioned with their government and would rather go through this route rather than violent revolution to straighten some things out, at least on the state side. The federal government is a whole other story.

Of course, the big question is, will movements like this work, now or eventually?

losangeles.cbslocal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
S&F great find! Wish more people had the balls to do this as well! Everyone should write in and show support for this guy! Finally someone not afraid to speak out, and speak the truth!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Southern California gets most of it's water from Northern California. Were these counties to form a new state they would be left without enough water to support the population. This in turn would lead to higher taxes on the residents so they can have adequate water.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

If you mean Los Angeles, I agree with you, but I am fairly certain the locations mentioned get the bulk of their water from the Colorado River Aqueduct, which does not come from northern California.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Goldwater because: typo

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Im all for this, why should the folks here in n california have to pay such high taxes due to their over population of morons down there! I pray this happens... and happens soon

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I wonder if such a separation is valid under the California State Constitution.

I also wonder why people always talk about seceding but never do it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Would be interesting to see California split in two, but I'm not sure this would help lower taxes. There is corruption at the local level too, not just in Sacramento. Instead of having Sacramento rule our lives, we'll have some new morons making decisions for us. L.A. County for example is taxed far more than most counties in California. This is why so many businesses are moving out of L.A. County if/when they can afford to. If the two were to split, I don't think I would be able to decide what side I want to live on. What Californians need to do (instead of splitting into two separate States) is to vote all those idiots out of office, and make sure the new blood understands we're not going to stand for their B.S. Unfortunately the majority of people get suckered into voting for more fees and taxes, because they listen to the deceptive union ads and lying politicians instead of researching what it is they are really voting for. Then again.... isn't that the case with most of the country?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
They have actually been trying to accomplish this for a while in a few different ways. Its funny they included kern, kings, fresno and madera county this time so they dont lose their agriculture dollars.

From Sept 2009

And the actual group that has a webpage. I heard about them in 2007 i think.

downsizeca.org

My .02¢

Silver

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
They should just go ahead & hand over everything
from Santa Barbara on south to Mexico. Just to
make it official you know?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've never heard of Mr. Stone, probably because I'm in the next county over (San Bernardino), but 30 seconds of googling seems to show that the guy is in bed with C.O.$. and somewhat of a hack. I haven't finished watching this video, but it looks to be a compilation of his ethics in council meetings, not to mention his labeling of Anon as a hate group on behalf of C.O.$.

Exposing Supervisor Stone's Douchbaggery

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I wonder if such a separation is valid under the California State Constitution.

I also wonder why people always talk about seceding but never do it.

Two great questions. It'd be nice to see people actually pursue something that they feel will relieve the problems they have with any level of government.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Id be glad to get rid of ANY part of California...and some more Left Coast and New York to boot.....but we tried that under the Great Ape Lincoln...he kinda freaked out about it...think what tobama would do when hes planning on selling a lot of that real estate to china?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Classic Sleight Of Hand When You Know That You Can Not Argue On The Actual Issues:

“A secessionist movement? What is this, 1860?” Brown spokesman Gil Duran told The Press-Enterprise.

Riverside County Supervisor Bob Buster called Stone’s proposal a “crazy distraction.”

“We should begin to get our own budget balanced, which we haven’t done yet, and put in place some of the reforms we need in this county before we try and go and restructure the government in the great state of California,” he told the Press-Enterprise.

“The temperature has gone up in Riverside County and it seems Supervisor Stone has gotten too much sun recently,” he added.

Will Be Interested to See If This Gains Any Momentum.

Just Look At What Parts Of The State Bring In The Income And How It Is Distributed...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Southern California gets most of it's water from Northern California. Were these counties to form a new state they would be left without enough water to support the population. This in turn would lead to higher taxes on the residents so they can have adequate water.

But just think of the jobs that would be created by not having to abide to The California Water Code and/or Deregulating California's Crippling Desalination Legislation and begin building the plants.

NorthernCal can not use this as a tool without catastrophic repercussions.

Poseidon clears legal hurdle for desal plant

On Tuesday, Poseidon received a favorable decision from Judge Judith Hayes that the company said resolved the final outstanding legal challenge. At issue was whether the project complied with the California Water Code.

California Gives Desalination Plants a Fresh Look

Desalination - WikiPedia

edit on 7/1/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: Correct Quote

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think that Jeff Stone is just trying to resurrect his career after Anonymous stepped on it.

He was fined $16,000 for failing to properly report $84,052 in campaign contributions. And giving jobs and perks to family members. he also was the architect of Ordinance 884 which was an attempt to ban people and Anonymous from protesting in front of Scientology's Gold Base. The last time there was proposition in California to split the state 99% voted against it. In my opinion Stone is a typical corrupt politician trying to get publicity.

inlandpolitics.com...

www.pe.com...

top topics

join