It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dry Ice on Reactor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
While surfing i did find an interesting statement:

Dear Japan : Drop LIQUID NITROGEN & DRY ICE CO2 on your goddamned nuclear reactors NOW, already, please, thank you. [ ... June 10, still waiting ] Why ? Shock cooling -- Smothering -- Formation of solid nitrides, nitrates, carbonates, &c... Duhhh... It worked @ Chernobyl -- What ... They didn't tell you ? ( Channel 4-TV, San Francisco, 6 O'Clock News, Day 5 ( 30 April 1986 ) -- Emergency Message from silly me via Lawrence Livermore Laboratory's Director : " We recommend that you drop a refrigerant on it. " -- The Russians used Dry Ice ~ 12 hours later ) ... Ask "Red" Adair : He used liquid nitrogen to extinguish oil well fires in Kuwait ( Pop. Sci., Jan 1991 ) ... Still can't figure it out ? Don't be embarassed : you're merely over-educated beyond your ability to thimk, now paralyzed with fear and desperation, committing national suicide ... and murdering the rest of us ... Sign Me, "Bored with Your Stupidity" @ Las Vegas Robert A. Nelson ( recuvering stupit & high skool dripout ) @ rexresearch.com 6 April 2011 ... www.businessweek.com... Japan Nuclear Workers Start Pumping Nitrogen Into Damaged Plant Oh well, it's a start... Whenever you get around to cleaning up : » NELSON, R. : Transmutations of Nuclear Waste ~ A review of conventional & cold fusion methods to remediate nukey-poo to stable or short-life isotopes. See also: Nuclear Waste Remediation Patents ... Meanwhile :

Source: Link

It would make a little more sense indeed as it is colder as water and instead of leaking polluted water, it evaporates (Not sure if that is a problem)

Anyway it seemed to work at Chernobyle

edit on 1-7-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 3/7/11 by argentus because: replace quote tags with ex tags

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
why didnt I think of that? oh yeah - cause I'm an idiot

why didn't THEY think of that? :cough:

would that really work? I couldn't find anything that said chernobyl did it, but I didn't look real hard

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Why don't they dump a boron/Sand mixture like they did in Chernobyl? It stopped the majority of the radiation and caused a glass casing around the molten blob.

It worked well once, why would we not use it again?

Pred...
edit on 1-7-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
It worked well once, why would we not use it again?
Actually it didn't work all that well, the site is still leaking even today and it almost caused a nuclear detonation 30 times the size of the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima.

The other major difference is that graphite parts of the core were lying all over the ground at Chernobyl. So the core was exposed to some degree, and you could drop stuff on it.

The cores aren't that exposed at Fukushima, so you'd just be sealing in the heat, making it get hotter, and hotter is bad, that's why they sprayed water on it to keep it from getting too hot.

Originally posted by Forevever
would that really work? I couldn't find anything that said Chernobyl did it, but I didn't look real hard
I looked into Chernobyl and the closest thing I can think of is that they built a tunnel underground, then dug a chamber underneath the reactor.

They were going to fill the chamber with refrigeration equipment that would have been something like a dry ice effect. But I think eventually they decided to fill the chamber with concrete instead and they figured that would be enough to stop it from melting down to the groundwater.

In the case of Fukushima, it's unclear how far down the meltdown has gone. But digging a chamber under the reactor, and either putting in refrigeration equipment, or filling it with concrete to protect the groundwater, is probably one of the better ideas. However, I'm not aware of any plan by Japan to do this. They seem to be unwilling to send people to their deaths to fix the problem, a problem the soviets didn't have. It's the old question, do you sacrifice a few lives to potentially save many more lives? the USSR quickly answered "yes", Japan seems to be answering "no" as far as I can tell. They have 200 seniors willing to die but they need more to build those tunnels and chambers, and I don't even know if the seniors are physically capable, it was all manual digging with a shovel at Chernobyl.

Regarding the dry ice, I don't recall that being done at Chernobyl in my research. I also googled

"dry ice" chernobyl

Found this ATS thread and not much else telling me that it probably wasn't used.

We also don't know the exact status of Fukushima containment, but I can tell you the reactor containment is metal and putting dry ice on metal can crack it, so if there's containment we could lose it, and even if there's partial leakage, the dry ice cracks could still make the leakage worse. Then there's the question of how you'd even get the dry ice in there.

It amazes me that people that know nothing about nuclear reactors think they can solve nuclear reactor problems...wait, no it doesn't. People also think they know more about medicine than their doctors, more about physics than physicists, and the list goes on, so why should this be any different?

And the tone of that letter was not the result of using the techniques in Dale Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people". Basically calling someone a moron and then asking them to take your suggestion isn't the best way to get your suggestion followed, even if your suggestion is good, which this dry ice suggestion probably isn't.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hmm from all the pictures I've seen... it looks like there were 3 complete meltdowns in the reactors... or atleast the majority of the cores were melted down and the buildings are completely destroyed... i don't see why the sand/boron idea wouldn't work. Plus they did have 4 pumps, one to each reactor, that would push boron into the reactors but those all simultaneously failed also... so IDK dry ice was an idea...

I think we should just leave it pouring out radioactive material personally...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

When this topic was last posted, the radition was in the food chain, birds, fish, all small sea life, now the shooms are dirty, Noodles anyone, people are keeping this Quiet, PEASE someone post the TRUTH on this.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

thermite, thermite , thermite, it's the only "solution " at this point. they should have thermite fountains at each point drilling holes down , down , down. the heat cannot be controlled as the ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS cooling attempts have confirmed that Tepco is either retarded or Evil, there is no other solution but 'bury' dig the radiation as deep ( an stop soaking iy in seawater ) as one can and entomb it/. A pyramid with a negative thermite fountain .

new topics

top topics

join