It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

66 officers turn in badges in San Jose's first police layoffs! Man this is going to be horrible her

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And to think America is going to fall down due to the BS wars we have now.

Amid a homicide surge in what once was dubbed "America's Safest Big City," 66 young San Jose cops turned in their badges Thursday as a $115 million budget shortfall led to the city's first-ever police layoffs. The somber embraces of laid-off cops with fellow officers come as tensions simmer between cops and city leaders over pay and benefit cuts needed to save jobs as more deficits loom. While the toll was much less than had been feared weeks ago because dozens of the 122 who were given layoff notices found jobs in other police departments, the cuts will take a historic toll on San Jose's police force. In addition to the cops let go, the city cut nearly 100 police positions left vacant by recent retirements and departures, shrinking the force from 1,271 to 1,106 officers. That's fewer cops than the city had two decades ago, when San Jose had 200,000 fewer people." "It hurts a lot," said Mayra Aguayo, 24, after turning in her badge, city identification card and keys at the San Jose Police Officers' Association headquarters following a lunch for those cut from the force. "We gave our all to the city." Lt. George Beattie, the POA's president, thanked the laid-off officers after the lunch, noting that most if not all had approved a contract cutting salaries 10 percent, preventing an additional 156 cops from losing their jobs.

More information here on this link. www.insidebayarea.com...
edit on 1-7-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
this is the trend throughout the country, city leaders cut police and fire before anything else.The ironic thing is it is happening in the cities who need these guys more than ever before. Increases in crime,population, etc. have made once nice or even decent communities to live in dangerous. I feel for these people I really do

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
They cut over 100 cops in my city in jersey and the crime rate soared immediately, they in desperation hired some back. The same thing happened in one of the worst crime ridden cities in the world, Camden, NJ. All this because Chris Christie cut a millionaires tax.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ABWarrior58

They cut police, fire and emergency services and education, daycare etc because it is easier in the future to convince people that there needs to be new, or higher taxes if they want these services back.

They never make cuts where they need to, only where it can provide the greatest political advantages.

Same exact things are happening and going to happen at the federal level.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Clearly what needs to happen is to give the rich a bigger tax break...that should solve it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Exactly.

It's akin to a direct threat.

Give us more money or you will be a victim of crime.

Give us more money or your kid will be dumber the rest.

Give us more money or your grandmother will die in the street.

It's extortion based on lies.

And we vote for these monsters and cheer them on as we hand over our wallets to them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
lets just cut more police and fire cuz ya know that'll never happen to me.

unfortunately its this attitude that people have when it comes to these decisions, it isn't always politically motivated. Yes, sometimes it is, but arrogance is the bigger perp here

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ABWarrior58

Hopefully, many of these people will find employement with private security agencies which will spring forth in this reduction. Expect to see them popping up all over the country. The pay and benefits will be far less, but at least they will have a job.

Black Water will see this as a goldmine.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I wish they would cut the police force here. Everywhere I drive, I see way too many cop cars sitting in parking lots clocking vehicles for speed. If they cut out the unnecessary, superfluous revenue makers and stuck to the basics (you know...fighting crime) then the layoffs wouldn't be an issue. The only place this would hurt the PD is in the pocketbook.

Of course, they will keep the same number of cops out clocking vehicles and reduce the crime patrol so that crime rates purposefully goes higher and they can cry for more tax money; all the while revenue still flows in.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

City leaders thinking out loud,We have the highest crime rate in 30 years,but our budget is short by 115 million,what service can we cut to help out the short fall?

Police protection!

That is a good idea.All those who count live in gated communities and have body guards anyway.

The rest will just have to fend on their own.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Clearly what needs to happen is to give the rich a bigger tax break...that should solve it.

I like the sarcasm.

They gave all the money that could have helped Americans save they're homes and at the same time it would have bailed out the banks?!? Then the tax money dries up because of what the Gov., banks and elite have done to us and they give even more breaks for the elite and take away the things we can all agree to pay taxes on Fire, Police, Education, infrastructure...etc. till nausea sets in.

We need to turn all this around somehow...and soon.

Those hard right corporate bootlickers are going to let them take our nation.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Black Water doesn't exist anymore. AND, they need Sociopaths in form and function. Not ex cops.

I wonder how many of these ex cops are going to get busted in the next 6 months using their connections and previous knowledge to become drug dealers and or stick up men since they know procedure and community plus opportunity.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Let's not forget the golden chance this gives TPTB to roll out some national pro-fascist police state propaganda. Everybody in the country heard about Camden and the problems they had when cutting the police force. They cut the police force in places that have incredibly high crime rates, and then when crime obviously gets worse, all the news channels and newspapers shout to everybody how terrible life would be everywhere if there weren't tons of fascist cops invading our lives. In reality, most places have FAR TOO MANY cops, and one way to trick people into thinking it is a good thing is by telling them lies about how their lives would be without the police state in effect. That is why everyone heard about Camden, and everyone will hear about this.
edit on 7/1/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's funny how there's so many police brutality threads on ats and now that a few police officers got cut everybody is like, " oh my gosh what are we going to do?"

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Recently, Alto Texas made the news by getting rid of its entire police force.

I guess criminals can read because some of them went to try to rob a bank in Alto.

www.12newsnow.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If all these police forces just stopped their ridiculously expensive & pointless war on drugs & then legislate & tax their soft drugs, they might have enough monry to keep the officers employed. Sorry that's why so many cops got a job in the first place, to enforce the draconian control laws.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think it's great.

Less police mean less police brutality pay outs. More people may be convinced to arm themselves and defend themselves, and I'll get a job selling bullets!

Sounds like good news to me.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
Let's not forget the golden chance this gives TPTB to roll out some national pro-fascist police state propaganda. Everybody in the country heard about Camden and the problems they had when cutting the police force. They cut the police force in places that have incredibly high crime rates, and then when crime obviously gets worse, all the news channels and newspapers shout to everybody how terrible life would be everywhere if there weren't tons of fascist cops invading our lives. In reality, most places have FAR TOO MANY cops, and one way to trick people into thinking it is a good thing is by telling them lies about how their lives would be without the police state in effect. That is why everyone heard about Camden, and everyone will hear about this.
edit on 7/1/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

Golden for sure

and possibly more than just propaganda !

in the near future we could see a "federal" takeover of local police forces.

"federal" meaning either military or "contractor" consolidations for "economic" reasons.

THEN, maybe even a U.N. action if and when "necessary".

this is not such a far fetched idea......it has happened before.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HenryPatrick

This is exactly right. Since GWBush the name of the game is 'who can scare joe public the most' so they can justify putting in 'safty' mechanisms like body scanners, wire taps and other civil liberty infringements.

The bigger stories have been that cops are overly aggressive, use their tasers too often and too fast and they are killing people in drug raids who don't have drugs.

Anyone paying attention to forums like these must be paying attention to 'cops run wild'.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

If all these police forces just stopped their ridiculously expensive & pointless war on drugs & then legislate & tax their soft drugs, they might have enough monry to keep the officers employed. Sorry that's why so many cops got a job in the first place, to enforce the draconian control laws.

I agree. The war on drugs is costing us a lot of money and not to mention that they are a lot of innocent people who got jailed just for weed and illegal drugs coming from Latin America. Yet our government is too blind to see this.

Legalized weed and then tax it would help the economy.

Originally posted by BigJoninTexas
It's funny how there's so many police brutality threads on ats and now that a few police officers got cut everybody is like, " oh my gosh what are we going to do?"

Well there few cops that are corrupt bug but majority of police officers i met were wonderful and caring. I live in San Jose and i noticed that crimes here are getting much much worse.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join