It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Gas Blobs and Neutron Binaries [XMM telescope]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

www.skyandtelescope.com...
A neutron star in the Scutum-Crux Arm of the Milky Way recently flared to 10,000 times its original brightness after being bombarded by gas from its companion star. The outburst was seen in X-rays during an observation on March 15, 2010...

The 4-hour-long flaring occurred as the neutron star absorbed a blob of gas that blew out of its companion star...

This was a huge bullet of gas that the star shot out...
(bolding mine)
These comments seem to allude that the neutron star just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

At the risk of showing my ignorance I'm wondering if wouldn't be more complicit in the interaction . i.e. pulling or attracting the gas from the giant rather than just being a coincidental recipient.

Anyhoo... just an quirky question I thought I'd throw out .

Interesting the way the the neutron seems to grab then dispell the gas.
X MM-Newton_Clump animation

a blob of gas -10 to the 16th power tons of mass - seems pretty impressive.
edit on Fri Jul 1 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Could it be similar to a charged gas in a flourescent light?
when the halo of gas covers the object it flares the brightes and fades as it passes...no?like the gas is activated to glow or incandess for that period.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Awesome analysis, I've heard the same from some other theorists actually. Not much more to add except to say I agree.
Star for you!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I think I understand what you're saying about the 'flare up' as the matter encounters and is then converted and expelled by the neutron star.

My main question though is more about whether the neutron star (especially as close as it appears to the companion) actually helps initiate or direct the flow as opposed to just passively being in the way.

Just seems the density associated with a neutron star would make it more than a bystander.

Not a big deal just a passing thought I had as I was reading the article.

Thanks guys.

edit on Sat Jul 2 2011 by Jbird because: typo

new topics

top topics

join