It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truly Awesome Creature: Blue-Ringed Octopus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

This creature really is amazing. Not just because of its looks but also because of how deadly it is. The Blue Ringed Octopus.

Source With its fascinating coloring and delicate curling arms, the blue-ringed octopus may be a beautiful creature, but this small cephalopod is also deadly. The blue-ringed octopus appears grey or beige with light brown patches when it is at rest, but when agitated its 50 or 60 bright blue rings appear and pulsate with color, as a warning. Inside the salivary glands of the blue-ringed octopus live colonies of bacteria that produce tetrodotoxin, the potent neurotoxin found in pufferfish and other animals. A bite from a blue-ringed octopus can completely paralyze and kill an adult human in a matter of minutes. There is no known antidote. The octopus itself is not affected at all by the toxin-an evolutionary prerequisite for the symbiotic relationship that has developed between the blue-ringed octopus and the toxin-producing bacteria.

Here is a video for ya.

Creatures like this really take my breath away and I don't mind admitting it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Wow, that is pretty wild, awesome looking creature and the colors are just amazing.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Such a handsome creature! Gives an entirely new meaning to the old saying "You're beautiful when you're angry"
I've always been curious about octopi, and find them amazing.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well it is a colerfull little cuss. I'm amazed by the bacteria it carries in it's mouth now that is something.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Welcome to Australia

These things are also tiny (up to golf ball size), they look so harmless which makes them such a hazard to kids especially.

One piece of advice to anyone visiting here, be very careful where you step near the ocean, they love little rock pools & get stranded in them in low tides, & I know as a kid I used to love exploring these little pools. I really am amazed there aren't more bites from them, but its probably due to Aussies growing up knowing not to trust a lot of our wildlife, & the fact they do need to actually get their mouth onto you, simply touching one wont hurt, not that I'd ever try, they also move very quick.

Apart from all our wildlife trying to kill you, it really is a great place to visit though
Just ask a local 1st.

PS. The distribution map in the video is wrong, at least in reference to the east coast (Sydney etc) they go much further north than shown.
edit on 1/7/2011 by SNAFU38 because: Added PS

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Yeah we learn about these in early childhood in Australia, I've never met a victim though.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by posthuman

I think that's because they're all dead already.

(sorry, couldn't help myself. s&f to op...)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This may be a stupid question, but is it illegal to own as a pet at home ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Always thought this was one of the most beautiful creatures on earth, along with some jellyfish, the ocean creates such amazing animals.

This is the same species they used in the bond film Octopussy IIRC.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

No, many reef keepers own blue rings; makes tank maintenance kinda dangerous, they are cheaper and easier to provide for than larger octopus species though.

top topics

join