It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dad who bashed girls with bed slat walks free. WHAT!!!!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Seems like I'm the bearer of sickly bad Australian news today. A 35 year old "man" If you choose to call him that, beat his two daughters aged seven and nine, with a wooden slat from bunk beds.

The Ipswich man, 35, who cannot be identified, rushed into their bedroom, grabbed a wooden slat from the bunk bed and hit the older girl across the legs. He then threw the slat at his younger daughter’s head. The younger girl suffered bruising, swelling, two black eyes and an inch-long scar to her forehead, the Queensland Times reported.

Get this people; The man told the younger girl to say she fell off her scooter if anyone asked how she got the injuries.

He pleaded guilty to common assault and assault occasioning bodily harm and was sentenced to 18 months in the slam, but was released immediately on parole. What. The. F@#k.

He also apparently has a prior history of assaulting family members.

Despite having a fifteen year history of assaulting various family members, defence barrister Geoff Seaholme said his client did not mean to hit the younger girl, but admitted he threw the bed slat carelessly.

This should not stand. I don't know what the hell is going on in this country but someone who does something like this and has a prior history of violence should spend a little time in the slam.

Link to the article.
news.ninemsn.com.au...
edit on 1-7-2011 by BoneMosaic because: Added

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
He has mates in high places.

I guarantee it. It's the only way you could avoid jail for this, given his prior history.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Kind of crazy you can have priors, assault your kids and walk away when we've got people in the US going to jail for typical disciplinary spankings.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

That makes sense.

It just makes my head hurt as to why he at least isn't spending three months in prison for it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly thats just what I was thinking, I mean people go to jail for less in the U.S. So what the funk is up with my country?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

I always bring up "natural consequences" in these types of stories. Surely those girls have a grandfather, or an uncle, or a good friends dad that can return the favor? If these young girls were close to me in some way, then that father would begin to have a lot of scooter accidents of his own, until the message got through his thick skull, or he moved on to a safer environment and left the girls alone. No need for police whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah I hear ya, Id be lining up one hell of a scooter accident if it were my nieces or granddaughters.

Just replace "scooter accident" with "good old fashioned floggin".

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
People like this should never be released back into the community.

I think that prison should serve to both punish and rehabilitate criminals. No matter what the PC brigade may like to pretend, some people just cannot be rehabilitated to become productive and law-abiding members of society.

The man in this case, with 15 years history of abusing his relatives, is a clear example of someone that can't be trusted to behave morally in a civilised society.

He should be locked up for life - not because of revenge or vindictiveness - but because he has continually exhibited behaviour which makes it too great a risk to subject innocent members of society to his sociopathic actions.

''He lost his temper'', argued his defence lawyer.

We all lose our temper, at times; it's just that most of us don't beat young girls as a consequence of it.

Actually, I'd be happy to see his defence lawyer jailed, as well !

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

I'm not sure about a life sentence, but he should spend some good quality time in jail.
Especially considering his priors.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I think that prison should serve to both punish and rehabilitate criminals. No matter what the PC brigade may like to pretend, some people just cannot be rehabilitated to become productive and law-abiding members of society.

The man in this case, with 15 years history of abusing his relatives, is a clear example of someone that can't be trusted to behave morally in a civilised society.

See, I don't think prison is any good for rehabilitation, and I think it is too expensive and time-wasting to be a punishment. I say, let him try regular life once or twice, if things don't work out, the police shouldn't put too much effort into looking for his body.
Why waste everyone's time with a broken prison system. If he does the deed, then I return the favor, with a stern warning that what he is seeing is my "nice" side. If I have to come back, there won't be any more second chances. And then, the next time those poor girls show up with black eyes, the police come to the house and the fella is nowhere to be found, the police can assume justice has been served and not waste anymore of their time with it.

As for long prison sentences, and death row, I am in favor of putting them to sleep like a rabid dog. Not 20 years from now......now.
edit on 1-7-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
I'm not sure about a life sentence, but he should spend some good quality time in jail.
Especially considering his priors.

Yeah, but at what point does giving a criminal a second, third or fourth chance supersede the potential risk of letting them them back into the general population ?

If someone's got a string of prior convictions for violent crimes, then why should the possibility that they have been rehabilitated always take precedence over the likelihood that they will continue to behave in the same way as they did before they were convicted ?

What magic behavioural change is achieved by spending 2, 4, 5 or 10 years in prison ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

No, I agree with you. Thats what I was trying to get across. He should spend some years in the slam for this.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I believe that our prison systems are nothing more then money-making schemes for private companies to make money off the state for housing people.

The private prison companies only goal is to make money, so why would they worry about "rehabilitation" of someone.. It's like big pharma.. If they cure someone, profits go down.

No money in a cure, no money in a corrected person.

The basic systems are so flawed, and so money-driven, that they are worthless now.

As far as this guy goes, I'm with Getreadyalready, this schmuck needs a good whoopin by someone. amd the next time, he needs a quick trip out of the gene-pool. Hitting women, and hitting chilren is inexcusable in any fashion, imo. Boils my blood when someone hurts kids or women pysically.

(I do think kids need spankings when they've done moderate to severe wrong things tho.. but not with an object, the bare hand works just fine).

This dude needs to go.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This man is a father? Where is the mother?
I would be running away--FAR away-- with my kids under my arms.
Especially after he got out of jail. I wonder how many more "scooter" accidents are going to happen now. Poor girls

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There was probably no proof that he caused the injuries intentionally or something so they plea deal to early parole.

People need to understand this about most legal systems... a guilty plea doesn't mean you actually committed the crime.
edit on 1-7-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So after you have given him a 'lesson' or two and when he walks up behind you and blows your brains all over the side of your garage should we send him to jail then, or just congratulate him on learning the lesson you were teaching so well?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Wouldn't happen. Couldn't happen, and if it did happen, my circle of friends would not call the police.

The mistake people so often make is to make idle threats and escalate a situation. Or they might even give someone a decent whooping, but it only serves to infuriate them and cause backlash and escalation. I am not talking about those amateur types of lessons, and I am definitely not talking about idle threats.

I am talking about pants-wetting, in the woods, next to the final resting place, coming to Jesus lessons, where even I don't know if he is coming back into town for a second chance or not, but if he does, there will be no doubt about the repercussions of his next action. And, since I know a lot of like-minded folks like me, there is also no doubt that taking me out, or calling the police would be futile and his end result would be the same. If someone can't do it right, they shouldn't even be attempting it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

And here I thought Superman was fiction. Any one can be taken by surprise or from a distance. So after he kills you, your friends kill him, and his friends kill them, and so on and so on. After this great orgy of death to 'teach everyone a lesson', the insects can finally inherit the earth! It's a win all around, and we sure are all smarter from all those lessons!

How about instead we have a well regulated system of sheriffs, judges and juries to handle our system of punishment?
edit on 7/1/2011 by Montana because: I forgot. That's a good excuse isn't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

By law the max penalty for assault causing grevious bodily harm to a child is 7 years

Two kids.....he should had got min 2 years in the can for each child

and no access until the girls turn 18

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

And here I thought Superman was fiction. Any one can be taken by surprise. So after he kills you, your friends kill him, and his friends kill them, and so on and so on. After this great orgy of death to 'teach everyone a lesson', the insects can finally inherit the earth! It's a win all around, and we sure are all smarter from all those lessons!

That sums it up pretty well. Sounds barbaric, but it is the way of the world, and eventually the victor rights their account of what actually happened, and in 100 years that is all that anybody knows.

How about instead we have a well regulated system of sheriffs, judges and juries to handle our system of punishment?

Yes, because it worked so well in this case?

Sorry, but I prefer a more personal touch, and a more direct approach. The legal system we have today is largely flawed. It worked decently through the 1700s, 1800s, and early 1900's, but it began to see serious issues around the time of prohibition, and it is completely broken today.

Ironically, I am not a fan of the death penalty, because I don't think it should be administered by the state, by a stranger, in a clinical setting, 20 years after the fact. I believe in retribution, but not by the state.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join