It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childrens Cancer Donation Phone Call

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So about a minute ago I received a phone call from a what appeared to be non-profit company hoping for a donation of twenty dollars or more if so inclined. The lady was very nice and explained that the money would go to children going through cancer treatments. They would be provided board games and things to occupy their time so I said sure I'll consider donating if they send me the necessary information. I then asked the nice lady how much of the twenty dollars goes to the actual children and she was unaware. She put me on with the supervisor who was then asked the same question and she replied "eighty percent goes to administrative costs and twenty percent goes to the children" I regretebly told her that I would not donate. I know in the past I heard of non-profits having to charge some overhead for their costs but 16 dollars going to administrative costs and two dollars actually going to the children??? You have got to be kidding me...and the phone number where it came from is 1-877-208-5257.... Childrens Cancer Recovery Foundation...my suggestion is to just bring a board game by your local treatment center and cut out the middle man...for twenty bucks you can probably get some books and a board game. Sorry if this for whatever reason is offensive to those who may have family members dealing with cancer.
edit on 1-7-2011 by chrismarco because: wrong percentage calculation...ugghhh

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
This is an important point,and I appreciate you asking them the question. Most people would be appalled to hear the numbers you quote. There was actually a great article in a magazine called "Moneysense" awhile back that rated a bunch of Canadian charities on this very point. Some of them are not doing much of anything for anybody.

We should all be asking or Googling charities to see what they really do.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

80% of $20 = $16 dollars, not $18.

Just sayin'

If you really want to help kids with cancer, go to the shop, buy the boardgame yourself, go visit the kids and give them their present.

Good for them, good for you, good for cancer charity.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

How embarassing..you are correct....i will edit and hold my head in shame

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Woah, that's bad. I know that a certain percentage usually goes to admin and stuff, but 20% to the actual kids? That's not even charity, that's profit-making. There's no way they need $16 of $20 to cover their costs for running the charity, and anyone that says it is, is lying.

I completely would agree with your decision, it'd be far better to buy the game yourself, and I think you could probably get more than a board game for $20 (although I was in a toy shop the other day and the board games were pretty damn expensive, since they're all interactive now).

People need to stop being so greedy and start running charities the way they should be ran. I tend to always check the ratios before giving, too.
edit on 1/7/2011 by Ayana because: Because I should probably check my maths before repeating what people say...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I make a point out of not donating to anyone who calls me. If I see a booth soliciting, I may donate depending upon the cause. But I usually just walk by and drop some money in the jar. I don't require a T-shirt, pen poppy or my name on the wall.

Do your research. Know where your money is going.

Attached is a PDF (Quite large) that the Combined Federal Campaign uses for Military and Government employees. It breaks down administrative costs vs. where money goes per charity. Be aware that this is the 2010 booklet. I can’t find the 2011 version. But there are probably only minor changes between the two.

www.cfcnca.org...

It’s a good tool for researching, prior to donating.

edit on 1-7-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I cant agree more, its the same here in Australia, those people collecting in the streets get paid, their employer has to get paid, then the charity has to take out its 'administrative costs', so whats left for those we actually are donating for, not much as you say.

One thing I also found is, when you do donate to a charity (for me, the Boxing Day tsunami), they must have spent more in mailing me for additional donations over the next 2 years than I originally gave !

Your idea of giving directly to the places that do the actual caring is good, either give direct or, as I have done, volunteer to help. One thing I can suggest though is to ring up & see what they actually need, explain your objections to donating through 'official' lines if needed & see what they want. It may just be a new broom, but if everyone though "I'll give them a broom", well they will have too many & now they have the added problem of getting rid of the excess. I dont know what its like elsewhere, but there were all sorts of problems in taking cash too, petty legal issues, so they may not be able to take cash at some places. I drove a bus, & if I'd have taken the $2 'donation' from anyone, then I'd have needed a special licence etc, it was a matter of one of the other volunteers saying 'oh heres a tin if you wish to contribute'.

Anyhow, as you say, go direct, screw the middle man, they take way too much.

new topics

top topics

join