It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard: Democrats/Progressives/Liberals HATE the USA!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Or are you simply starting with the assumption that only conservatives love America and start from there...

That was the whole point of this exercise. To state things as "fact" that would actually be "opinion". Playing the role of a Glenn Beck, or Keith Olbermann, and seeing how people would react. I could have just as easily played the other side.

I found the article interesting as well, which is why I used it to spring my trap.

Get back to work and stop trolling net people! Weekend doesn't start til 5

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Get back to work and stop trolling net people! Weekend doesn't start til 5

I'm the only one is a massive lab today, everyone else is on vacation. What else am I supposed to do? HA! Funny post, starred!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Navy. Think hollow shells.

Xmas. What a twisted way to celebrate the birth of the savior.
Easter. Sugared bunnies? I mean come on.
Labor Day. Where's the labor?

Our holidays are hollow shells which bear little or false association with that which is supposedly being celebrated.

Twenty years ago I had occasion to attend a couple of MLK Day celebrations. There were the standard speeches watering down the more poet words of King, and the tributes to the idealized memory of the man, but no really in depth sense of revolutionary fervor which is what he was really about. Then came the color guards in uniform with drums and flag waving singing of the national anthem. In twenty years his legacy had been watered down to pomp and circumstance, and this by people who admire him.

So why might we think that the celebration of the 4th of July might be any different. If anything, this study demonstrates that republicans are more likely to be swayed by the hollow idealizations of an overly simplified patriotic celebration.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Well color ME the fool. I mistook this for a serious thread. So you were just playing with us? Just playing the devils advocate?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire

Well color ME the fool. I mistook this for a serious thread. So you were just playing with us? Just playing the devils advocate?

That's the point of it. I was taking a study, and then taking one side of it, and twisting it to make "my" point, similar to how the media does things, be it Fox of MSNBC. My point is to show how people can go from "middle of the road" and swing far from one side or the other, depending on which side they fall from middle. Example, someone who is moderately left, will go far left to defend the position that I'm wrong. Someone who is moderate right will go far fight to defend my original position.

That's the problem with the "news" we get these days. We have people on both sides giving us the news, and spinning it far left or far right, and they're dividing us! We have MORE in common than what separates us, but we allow ourselves to be ruled by emotion, and we are willing to go to hell and back to prove our points.

My personal belief is that by in large, Republicans and Democrats alike, both love this country, and have a sense that something is "wrong". But, as long as we continue to fight among ourselves, we'll keep getting screwed. And, it's studies like this that perpetuate that anger from both sides.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i dont see it that way and while some people may view them as "patriotic" the left will take every chance to politicize anything and everything to get and maintain power.

if country came first as people seem to say i saw noone for 8 years under gwb with the constant cries or murder war criminal etc and now that obama has done the same things nothing but silence.

patriotism in my opinion is dependent upon whose in power and who wants into power and a line some will not cross but oh soo many others do.

duty honor country flag 4th of july last time i checked i have never seen any conservative burn a flag but i have way too may liberals do that.

if people are more likely to become conservative if they attend 4th july then good for them.

hey it comes from harvard they make our presidents and they are never wrong

liberals think 4th of july is just getting drunk holiday pay and 3 day weekends.

conservative knows the price of the men of 1776 paid and remember those who paid the ultimate price that future generations get drunk on.

and conservatives know we all all owe our freedom to a bunch of men women who could neither read nor write and boy they had a dream and they deleivered.

edit on 1-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Oh dear!

(Monocle falls off into glass of scotch)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I really dont know why conservatives keep trying to pick fights.
they cry fowl, unamericanism, unpatriotic, ''they are destroying our god loving country'' constantly if an opinion isnt like theirs, and play the victim whenever someone actually says anything against them. yet the liberals are the 'crybabies'

this post seems like its meant to do nothing more but stir the already boiling pot.
Americans should stick TOGETHER instead of secluding to one's 'side'. You guys are all neighbours, brothers and sisters, really no reason for all this infighting imho. Happy to not affiliate myself with any party system.
edit on 1-7-2011 by CoffeeMonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Excuse me for pointing out a little discrepancy of this post.

Americans do not celebrate the "4th of July".

That is just a date on the calendar.

Americans celebrate INDEPENDENCE DAY which falls on the 4th of July!

According to the study which I read,the conclusion was there was no difference in political affiliation of those who

celebrated INDEPENDENCE DAY.

The only difference I have noticed is that Democrat controlled communities are more likely to cancel

INDEPENDENCE DAY celebrations such as the fireworks displays due to budget constraints.

From my experience in life I have only noticed that Conservative,God fearing ,moderate drinkers celebrate

INDEPENDENCE DAYand the Liberal,agnostic,"drink until you're drunk", celebrate the 4th of July.

The conservatives celebrate INDEPENDENCE DAY by going out in the morning and practice their gun control

with their weapons(never know when you need it!) and the Liberals wait until after the fireworks and shoot their guns

up into the air(not to bright considering that lead will eventually fall back to the ground!).

edit on 1-7-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Harvard is an elite institution where if you go to a public high school, your chances of getting accepted is virtually impossible. You need to go to a boarding school or a well known private school with connections and most parents of these kids are Republicans. Meaning, they are very well off. I'm quite surprised, they did a stupid study such as taking a kid to a 4th of July parade to conclude with their nonsense.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

That's the point of it. I was taking a study, and then taking one side of it, and twisting it to make "my" point, similar to how the media does things, be it Fox of MSNBC. My point is to show how people can go from "middle of the road" and swing far from one side or the other, depending on which side they fall from middle. Example, someone who is moderately left, will go far left to defend the position that I'm wrong. Someone who is moderate right will go far fight to defend my original position.

That's the problem with the "news" we get these days. We have people on both sides giving us the news, and spinning it far left or far right, and they're dividing us! We have MORE in common than what separates us, but we allow ourselves to be ruled by emotion, and we are willing to go to hell and back to prove our points.

My personal belief is that by in large, Republicans and Democrats alike, both love this country, and have a sense that something is "wrong". But, as long as we continue to fight among ourselves, we'll keep getting screwed. And, it's studies like this that perpetuate that anger from both sides.

As you explain above I see it now. It is the " middle of the road " that we need to study, not either of the extremes. I hope you follow your thread through to the end and when you think that most replies are in, that you cap it off with a summary of what you have learned from the thread. Please let me know when you do, ok?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join