It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Carpets, Flying Thrones and Travelling Clouds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Here are some ancient unidentified flying objects for research and discussion. I am specifically trying to look at the speculative areas contemporary "Ancient Alien" theories have not looked at yet.

To the ancients, wanting to fly was widely considered arrogance as it was a skill reserved for Gods only. And yet some humans strove to imitate the Gods and build their own flying devices...

1. The Flying Throne of Kay Kavus

Kāvus had a flying craft made consisting of a throne to the corners of which were attached four long poles pointing upward. It was made of wood and gold and he attached specially trained eagles. Pieces of meat were attached at the top of each pole and the ravenous eagles were chained to the feet. As the eagles tried to reach the meat they caused the throne to fly. The craft flew the king all the way to China, where the eagles grew tired and the craft came down. Rostam eventually had to rescue the king who, miraculously, survived the crash. [edit]

According to the legend Kavus was temped by "evil demons" (extraterrestrials?) to "invade heaven" (invade a space station?) by building a flying craft. Kavus is known as the "Foolish King" which reflects a similar Russian Legend of "Ivan the fool" who is also rumoured to have built a flying craft.

Another ancient King attempting to fly waas Bladud, mythological King of the Britons. His attempts were seen as anmission to perform "magic" and "wizardy". He came crashing down over Trivantum (London) and did not fly again thereafter.

The assumption of is that these reports may reflect very, very distant memories of flying craft in a past forgotten. Having been forgotten, technological details were replaced with words like "eagles", "flying wheels", "dragons", etc.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4efae6e5356d.jpg[/atsimg]

Kay Kavus Flying Throne

2. The Magic Carpet

The idea of a "magic flying carpet" is dispersed throughout many ancient traditions. In the old tale "One Thousand and one nights" tells stories of Persian and Arabic flying carpets. Another account of flying carpets is that of King Solomon of who it is said that he sailed through the air so quickly that he "breakfasted in Damascus and supped in Media". The weaponry from the carpet is rumoured to have caused 40 000 deaths. Outside of arabian, persian and hebrew regions tales of flying carpets can also be found in Russian legends and folk tales.

Please see my related thread King Solomons Temple for other possible technological correlations.

3. Travelling Clouds

I have found Russian as well as Native American as well as Chinese myths referring to "Clouds" as devices for transportation. In ancient Chinese mythology, for example, there is Sun Wukong who is said to have travelled on a cloud not only above the earth but all the way up to the "heavenly emperors and back". The ancient Chinese Feilong is a "mythological creature" that flies in clouds. It is also associated with military and weaponry. Some natives of the Americas believed that the "elders" or "spirits" lived and travelled in "clouds" up in the sky.

4. Chariots of the Gods

I have already elsewhere gone into the many Chariots of the Gods mentioned in Hindu scriptur, ancient Egyptian scripture, Greek Mythology and the Bible. See these threads:

Of Sun Wheels, Flying Chariots and Winged Discs

Of Flying Dragons and Metallic Discs

Your help in digging deeper into accounts of 1. Flying Carpets 2. Flying Thrones and 3. Travelling Clouds would be appreciated as not much is yet found or published on the three (whereas already Millions of articles are published on chariots and Vimanas, etc.)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Another excellent thread Skyfloating

The Travelling Clouds rings a bell from my childhood , in a Japanese television series called "Monkey" shown in the UK in the late seventies and based on a sixteenth century Chinese novel , the title character regularly cloud traveled .

Monkey Wiki

edit on 1-7-2011 by gortex because: eta link

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

1. The Flying Throne of Kay Kavus

Mythology. Well accepted to be stories by ALL Iranians across the globe. Since it is in the Shah'nameh which is pretty much the Persian epic.

Nothing magic, nothing ancient astronaut, no flying chairs with eagles attached

Edit:

To add, these are not memories of lost flying objects but desires to fly. Since the science to fly did not exist back then they used their minds to make up basic objects as flying machines.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

Mythology. Well accepted to be stories by ALL Iranians across the globe. Since it is in the Shah'nameh which is pretty much the Persian epic.

Nothing magic, nothing ancient astronaut, no flying chairs with eagles attached

Edit:

To add, these are not memories of lost flying objects but desires to fly. Since the science to fly did not exist back then they used their minds to make up basic objects as flying machines.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

Yes. Thats the generally accepted interpretation of Mythology. We come to ATS to explore alternative interpretations of Mythology. One of these is the Ancient Astronaut Theory which proposes that these myths are distant memories of a high civilization that used technology and aircraft.

If I want to explore conventional views I´ll read a Mythology website.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

One of these is the Ancient Astronaut Theory which proposes that these myths are distant memories of a high civilization that used technology and aircraft.

Okay, well keep your hogwash away from influencing the Shah'nameh then please :-) Or at least understand what texts you are talking about in the first place. It was written by a famous poet, not a conman like Stitchin. But a conman really likes to take epics like the Shah'nameh and, because they want attention, they turn parts of these stories into money making schemes and apply them to other places where these stories are not even from.

The reason that these stories can be found across the globe is that these stories were 1- spread by merchants and travelers, 2- they all have the same basics so it's not far fetched to say that they were made up in different places but still had the same subjects, eg. flying.

Bunch of hogwash.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Hi Skyfloating,

I have read your opening post and I am having a hard time trying to define where you're going with it...

According to the legend Kavus was temped by "evil demons" (extraterrestrials?) to "invade heaven" (invade a space station?) by building a flying craft. Kavus is known as the "Foolish King" which reflects a similar Russian Legend of "Ivan the fool" who is also rumoured to have built a flying craft.

As I see this as your interpretation and/or questioning of the legend, I would kindly ask you to further your thoughts...cause all I see here is a strong desire to fly. The desire to conquer the clouds and the desire to roam free as a bird. As for the flying carpets and clouds traveling.

It would be great if you could expand on your OP. I might (most probably) be missing something.

Thanks.

edit on 1-7-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Another excellent thread Skyfloating

The Travelling Clouds rings a bell from my childhood , in a Japanese television series called "Monkey" shown in the UK in the late seventies and based on a sixteenth century Chinese novel , the title character regularly cloud traveled .

Monkey Wiki

edit on 1-7-2011 by gortex because: eta link

ah yes what a program "monkey" was. monkey magic flying over mountain tops on clouds
the theme tune was totally brilliant..
sorry to go off topic but this was a classic classic

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think Thoth got his start because he defeated evil magicians who had invaded heaven...
which i would assume they flew up there
the monkey thing was great
cheesy
but great

Visitations often include flying in thrones or throne like vehicles

The Senoi rumoured to be the sanest people ever found
based their whole culture around dreams of flying
( boy they didn't last long after they were discovered by the white man...)

interesting topic for discussion I think
edit on 1-7-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Another account of flying carpets is that of King Solomon of who it is said that he sailed through the air so quickly that he "breakfasted in Damascus and supped in Media".

Just that statement alone rings--for me--of the truth of someone with experience of flying. Is it just me, or is that something that you wouldn't just expect someone to come up with about flying that hadn't experienced it and related that experience?

Digging into flying clouds--as you pointed out--doesn't turn up much as pertains your context, but I found this video with the search term and it was perfect to listen to as I imagined flying on carpets and traveling in clouds.

Hope it's not a faux pox to post it, but it really was a sweet little find for the imaginative "flying" session this cool thread gave me this morning. .

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

top topics

join