It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan- Are its days numbered?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Just wondering what your thoughts were on Pakistans role in all that has been happening. They seem to be doing a good job at rounding up terrorists, but at the same time causing unrest amongst the population. Musharaf has already escaped a death attempt (or two). If he goes wont the nation become more unstable, and more prone to harboring terrorists?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I wouldnt like to see it as Pakistan is a nuclear power. If something did happen to cause the regime there to fall, I think we would see India move pre-emptively to at least secure Kashmir, and perhaps also make an attempt to destroy Pakistan's nuclear weapons.

Q

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'll put it this way--Musharrif and his government are the only things keeping Pakistan from becoming the next major military front in TWAT.

It's no coincidence that Musharrif did an immediate 180 after 9-11. It was a choice of either siding with US vs. the Taliban, or having his country get a taste of what "the neighbors" had coming. They've played nicely, if not as well as we'd like. This has spared Pak from a full-scale invasion. If Musharrif gets assassinated and the radical Jihadis take over, there WILL be a major relocation of our forces in that direction.

In essence, a giant sucking sound eminating from Iraq, followed by the simultaneous questioning of a couple thousand insurgents "Where'd all the Americans go?".

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Further proof that taking a tough line will work on semi resonable people, and that those it doesn't work on need to be dealt wth milliatarily.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
I'll put it this way--Musharrif and his government are the only things keeping Pakistan from becoming the next major military front in TWAT.

I think about TWAT every day...and Bush too. Too me, they seem to go together like cream and pie. If we have no more Bush after the Nov. elections....will we be able to recognize TWAT? I dont think Kerry has any experience when it comes to TWAT. Just somthing to consider.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Whats TWAT?

And dont you guys think that no matter what pakistan does they are screwed. Side with us, and internal conflict will reign, go against us and US fire power will reign. Catch 22 right?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealisticPatriot
Whats TWAT?

And dont you guys think that no matter what pakistan does they are screwed. Side with us, and internal conflict will reign, go against us and US fire power will reign. Catch 22 right?

I assume that TWAT stands for The War Against Terror (aka America's conquest of the world.)

I agree with you on the Catch 22 situation though. Pakistan's continued support of the US is angering it's population and fundamentalists have strong support in parts. If Pakistan wants to prevent a full scale rebellion then they should become more neutral and less pro-US, though this will lead to the US complaining that they are not supporting them enough and that they are helping the terrorists.

Musharrif is walking a tightrope in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Islamic State, the future for Pakistan. Unfortunately the majority of the population would support this move, Musharraf is definitely between a rock and hard place. I would hate to see what happens when he is no longer in office.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Musharrif is walking a tightrope in my opinion.

On that, I think we all can agree...as well as his days being numbered...

I have a feeling things are going to get pretty rough there...and when a nuke power is involved, that is NOT a good thing....

I agree with William's assessment whole-heartedly, on Kashmir...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So in essence this is a powder keg waiting to explode...
Think the world would interviene if there was chaos in Pak since they are a nuke power? Cause remember, if extremists get into power, it will be much worse than saddam..

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I see the Pakistani government getting his shear of problems in the near future for helping US, I will not be surprise if they start getting unrest and terrorist attacks targeting the government directly.

And for nuclear Power non of the countries of the middle east should be allowed to have it after all, most of the government in the middle east are not very stable to start with.

US consider the Pakistani goverment a help and I wonder how much help, they can stab US in the back at any time.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
If Muslim extremists took over Pakistan, the whole world would be in a lot of trouble... Those guys wouldn't hesitate to fire the nuclear weapons at all of their neighbors, and their other enemies, all at the same time. India, China, Israel, the U.S. (they couldn't attack the U.S. directly though; their nuclear weapons can't fire anywhere near that far... but they could attack U.S. bases and troops in the Middle East!)... Of course, they know that India and China would retaliate with their nuclear weapons, and before you know it 1 billion+ Chinese, Indians, and Pakistanis would be dead, as well as hundreds of thousands of American troops, Saudis, Kuwaitis, and Iraqis all at the same time... it would be a nightmare of global proportions.

God help us if Muslim extremists ever get their hands on nuclear weapons...

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Think the UN would jump in to prevent destabilization in a nuclear powered country?

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
If Muslim extremists took over Pakistan, the whole world would be in a lot of trouble...

I think that Muslim extremists took over Pakistan, long since, and the world does have a problem, but refuses to notice.

The Pakistani regime is full of extremists, and they persecute religious minorities within the country, and play dangerous games with neighbouring states. They have no proper economy, an over-developed military, and live on foreign aid.

For reasons best known to themselves, the US govt supports this state, while raving about Iran and other much less dangerous places.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It is the route to Afganistan - the blur which is the border between the two is awash with terrorists.

A compliant Musharaf is extremely important to the West. If he goes it will be a big big problem.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Black Veil you are right religous minoritioes are persecuted and I happen to be a sect of the minority and since I am Pakistani please let me voice my view:

Musharaff has only angered Pakistanis on the East (e.g. Peshawar); many Pakistanis may not like USA (same story with Englnd) however, Pakistan needs the US and the US needs Paksitan. Such ectremists will not be able to get into power as so many of you assume; the eonomy is not as bad as you think - have you ever been to Pakistan, I have and honestly it is getting a lot better - true it used to be very corrupt, a large military is needed so that there would be some prtection agaisnt India - you say this like USA does not spend 40% of its budget on its military. Pakistanis are abel to support themself better than before but of course thye need help - not many nations are autarkies and Pakistani trade is great. Many of the top sportswear, for example Nike, comes form there

What do you think

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
world miltary expenditures

CIA numbers

just another source

America and Pakistan spend about the same percentage of their total GDP of money on the military.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Ok sorry for my mistake but USA has a much larger budget than Pakistan therefore they are spending more money arent they? (Im actually asking not telling)

top topics

join