It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tablets and you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I will admit, I'm and old school linux freek, just to give you a glimp, I stopped using windows at version 3.11 (I gave it about 2 months, then on to OS/2 for a couple of months) when I found slackware in the 90's. the first kernel I compiled was 0.99. yea what the hell does all that mean? not a darn thing.

Anyways, Every "smart" item I have has some form of linux on it, my pc is a debian/ubuntu/android-x86, my phone runs cyanogen 7.1 (Shift faced must admit), laptop == debian. And my tablet? cyanogen 7.+ and honeycomb.

And now for the kicker, if you have an IPad, bully for you, could care less, bastardised BSD!!!. I have prob one of the cheapest tablets going and its still on par with most things on the market, What is it? The Barns and Noble Nook Color.

So if you have an android tablet, what is it, and how do you like it

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

I have the Motorola Xoom Tablet. It's pretty cool, and I like it more than the iPad. It comes in pretty handy when traveling, and I primarily use it for entertainment. It has good battery life and the mobile WiFi hot spot is great, and has saved me a few times. I read the other day that Cisco is coming out with an open source tablet that is very similar to Linux. It will be very similar to Android in functionality, but instead of the standard Android OS, it will employ a new open source OS. This is supposedly to cater to people like you that prefer Linux. If you are going to get a tablet wait until a 4G version comes out since that is the direction all wireless is heading.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I just bought a very cheap tablet for £80 from Amazon. It's a Via 8650 chipset tablet & comes with a custom firmware created by a guy called Roger Calver who cooks his roms over at Slatedroid.
I was looking at the Amazon kindle but for £30 cheaper i can get a fully functional tablet pc which allows me to watch movies, read books & play Angry Birds. It's not the most powerful of devices but for what I require it for it does it with minimal fuss.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
My girlfriend just got a Galaxy Tab i've been playing with. Its a really entertaining device, i wish i had it for myself. (may steal it >.>)

I have an HTC desire HD with cyanogenmod 7.1 as well =), root or nothing

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Doesn't the Galaxy tab have the advantage over all of the others in that it is a phone as well ?

Also, are tablets really that useful ?
I have a net book and use it whenever and wherever I can, what's the advantage of a tablet ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
Doesn't the Galaxy tab have the advantage over all of the others in that it is a phone as well ?

Also, are tablets really that useful ?
I have a net book and use it whenever and wherever I can, what's the advantage of a tablet ?

My wife wanted the Xoom so bad, so we got it and it has pretty much become an $800 paper weight.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam
I have prob one of the cheapest tablets going and its still on par with most things on the market, What is it? The Barns and Noble Nook Color.

I tried to get one of those for my wife at Christmas but she said she wasn't interested. She finally got around to trying one out and she loves it and wants one. She wants it to read her magazine subscriptions, books, and for casual Internet browsing. From what I've seen with my brief experience the thing is awesome.

What's your experience with it and how long have you had it. (The nook)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
I tried to get one of those for my wife at Christmas but she said she wasn't interested. She finally got around to trying one out and she loves it and wants one. She wants it to read her magazine subscriptions, books, and for casual Internet browsing. From what I've seen with my brief experience the thing is awesome.

What's your experience with it and how long have you had it. (The nook)

I got it right before christmas, Its very handy, fits in the back pocket, and has replaced my laptop for just about everything, I tether it to my phone for net access, using blue tooth and vnc its effectively a phone, and with long trips my daughter loves playing games on it. And for someone like me, the fact that it boots off the sdcard makes it almost impossible to brick.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam
And for someone like me, the fact that it boots off the sdcard makes it almost impossible to brick.

I hear you on that one. Just replaced the hard drive in my laptop last night and a spinning disk sucks up tons of battery life. Keeping all the memory in a sdcard makes a lot more sense.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Now that usb hosting is enabled on the nook, while I'm not set up for it, knowing i can plug it into a usb hub and have full access to keyboard, mouse, external HD's, web cams, makes it a "toy" more then worth the $250 I paid for it

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I would suggest one or two apps if you have an android bases tablet, one is Thumb Keyboard, very nice touch keyboard replacement that splits the keyboard in to two, making it very easy to "thumb" type, and the second, if your tablet doesnt have GPS but you would like to take advantage on the large screen, there is TetherGPS that allows to tablet to tether off of your gps enabled android phone.
edit on 4-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join