It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. government sues Apollo astronaut over camera

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

U.S. government sues Apollo astronaut over camera

beta.news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. government has sued a former NASA astronaut to recover a camera used to explore the moon's surface during the 1971 Apollo 14 mission after seeing it slated for sale at a New York auction.

The lawsuit, filed in Miami federal court, accuses Edgar Mitchell of illegally possessing the camera and attempting to sell it for profit.

In March NASA learned that the British auction house Bonhams was planning to sell the camera at a Space History Sale, according to the suit filed on Wednesday.

The item was labelled "Movie Camera from the Lunar Surface" and billed as one of two cameras from the Apollo 14's lunar module Antares. The lot description said the item came "directly from the collection" of pilot Edgar Mitchell and had a pre-sale estimate of $60,000 (37,400 pounds) to $80,000, the suit said.

Mitchell was a lunar module pilot on Apollo 14, which launched its nine-day mission in 1971 under the command of Alan Shepard. The sixth person to walk on the moon, Mitchell is now retired and runs a website selling his autographed picture.

He has made headlines for his stated belief in the existence of extraterrestrial life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1-7-2011 by esteay812 because: Fix Headline

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Wow!! How can a camera with such importance be taken without note?

I know the camera may have historical importance, but sueing* for it's return after such a long absence makes me wonder what may be on the camera to begin with.

I wonder what some of the un-doctored images from an original lunar camera would tell us about the moon and what may, or may not, have been hidden from us all these years?

I can imagine the lengths that me be gone to retrive the camera and it's contents.

Maybe the best thing was to get the evidence into the public arena and let us all know it exists - or maybe this is a planned step toward.... disclosure?

beta.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-7-2011 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

This is a very interesting article and thanks for bringing it to our attention for all to see. I can only assume that this camera may be able to to be used to prove that NASA has lied through their teeth when it comes to the photos that they have shown previously and those at the top are scared of being found out. Just when they think they have covered all their bases something crops up that they didn't think of. Is this fate or just life?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

I am not really sure why they would go to such lengths to get the camera back from someone who has had it for such a long time and was so closely tied to the mission in the first place.

Maybe they are worried he will start to leak other material items to the public that include things they dare not speak of.

Maybe he has some of the film too, would be a nice addition.

Maybe all those who wrote him off as a quack or someone who has since lost his mind will be eating their words. Hopefully this turns into something huge. One small step...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Well.. I doubt it has any recorded images given it was before memory cards and etc.
I actually don't know how advanced govt camera tech was at the time, but I presume just film.
edit on 1-7-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
does that camera have a RAM chip in it ???
memory in jeopardy ???
just a thought

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Well Edgar Mitchell has been rather outspoken about his belief in UFOs/aliens. I can't remember if he ever accused NASA of being part of the cover-up, but this does look suspicious. This probably wasn't the best move for NASA to make because now this will further the conspiracy theories and claims of cover-ups/retribution on NASA's part.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I doubt it has any type of chip like that, but I can't be sure. I don't know what the technology was for storing images at the time - other than film.

Maybe there is something we don't know about or maybe the U.S. government really wants the camera back, after 4 decades. If anyone is going to proffit it had better be the government, right?

Also, like I eluded to earlier, he could possibly have other items in his possession, or access to them though other sources, and they want to send a strong message. I just hope he doesn't sustain any questionable injuries that could send him into permanent shock.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The non-radiation shielded camera that took crystal clear pictures, maybe they want to wrap in lead foil before somebody buys it and figures that out.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Probably just want it back because it's a super expensive piece of a equipment that Mitchell shouldn't be making money off of. He appears to be a publicity whore and very greedy (you can buy his autographed picture for 75 bucks a pop at his website). Honestly if it's to be sold for 60,000 bucks, it should go to the tax payers.. but really just to a museum.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

With all of the advancements that have been made, I am sure that so much could be learned about what really went on during those missions, simply through the camera, it's construction, and possibly even different chemical levels in the material of the camera today.

I am sure they wouldn't want anyone messing around with a camera, or anything else, that has been to the surface of the moon - without them have their thumb on top of the experiments and all results funneling through them.

I hadn't thought about what the make up of the camera could reveal, thanks for that.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Surprised they didn't catch him selling it at a Denny's. That's usually where stuff from the moon ends up.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Hmm, not sure I totally agree, but I do see your point.

If I give you my race car, that I broke the speed record in, today and forty years from now you decide to sell it at a huge proffit, should my family or myself be able to sue you for possession of it?

It seems NASA gave the astronauts different things from their missions, I suppose they should take everything back?...
edit on 1-7-2011 by esteay812 because: grammar

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
ok guys and girls, I have to head to work, hate to leave the thread, but I am not abandoning you all. I will check in later to see what the rest of you all think about this. Thanks for the replies, I knew you would have many different opinions when I saw the article.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Anyone seeing this as "the government wants the cam because there must be alien pictures or secret hidden stuff on it" is falling into Mitchell's tomfoolery.

This story does much to shed light on Mitchell's mindset and desire for money. He knew it was stolen. He knew it was rare and worth keeping. Yet, he stole it...and tried to sell it.

The guy was trying to make a buck all these years later...like he has tried to do with his radio and TV interviews in his UFO escapades.

To me, this shows he was dishonest back then and dishonest still to this day. Greedy to.

Mitchell's lawyer say NASA knew he had the cam 40 years ago...yeah, ok Ed. Just like Ed says he has seen proof of aliens but always weasels around the question with a smile and a "I can't explain further" type of attitude when pressed for details.

Hero? Sure...if you think someone who takes a ride in a manmade machine is anything "more hero" then say a doctor or firefighter who saves lives...for me, this paints him better as a thief and a petty one at that.

MM
edit on 1-7-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I just assumed he kinda kept it and nothing was said because you know he was a big hero astronaut at the time.

Also I say.. who the hell is NASA to give anything away? All that junk is ours.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Also posted in space exploration but that's ok, you can still post it in breaking news also. I'm posting the link in case someone wants to see the comments in the other thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I think maybe his statements regarding ET have led the good old U S of A trying to hurt him financially and discredit him in anyway possible, just another nail in his coffin for speaking up. I wonder why he's selling it though?, hard times? surely it would have been something you left your kids or to a museum.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

This story does much to shed light on Mitchell's mindset and desire for money. He knew it was stolen. He knew it was rare and worth keeping. Yet, he stole it...and tried to sell it.

Really, stolen??

How did he manager that?

The camera was originally meant to be left on the moon but he brought it back..
I'm not sure how you think he hid a camera that size even with possible cavity searches.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by chaztekno

Because he's money hunggrrryy..
Like I said 75 bucks for an autographed picture at his website.
What kind of integrity is that for an astronaut, one of America's hero's?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join