It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'm learning to play guitar right now.

Sometimes I sit for hours, glued to my instructional DVD's as I practice. Time just seems to slip away.

QUICK! LETS BAN GUITARS!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Stop being facetious, you played your guitar for hours and are comparing that to wasting away on a video game? Let's instead explore games like guitar hero, where instead of kids learning to play a real guitar, kids these days are mashing buttons.

Gaming is far different from books. Video games are much much more appealing to children than a book, as well as bombarded with them since very young ages. Are books under the xmas tree? Nah, the new games are.

Let me further add are books really designed to be addictive? No more than picking my nose. While games have several elements designed to make them addictive. Actually designed to keep the player coming back for more and more and more. As technology advances, this will only worsen. Your talking Kid, Dad, and Grandpa, all sitting there, numb to the outside world; happy in there fantasy land video game - false achievements and all.

* The High Score Whether you've tried out the latest edition of Grand Theft Auto or haven't played a video game since PacMan, the high score is one of the most easily recognizable hooks. Trying to beat the high score (even if the player is trying to beat his own score) can keep a player playing for hours.

* Beating the Game This "hook" isn't used in online role-playing games, but is found in nearly every gaming system. The desire to beat the game is fed as a player "levels up," or finds the next hidden clue.

* Role-Playing Role-playing games allow players to do more than just play - they get to actually create the characters in the game and embark on an adventure that's somewhat unique to that character. Consequently, there's an emotional attachment to the character, and the story makes it much harder to stop playing.

* Discovery The exploration or discovery tactic is most often used in role-playing games. One of the most popular online games currently is World of Warcraft, and a good portion of the game is spent exploring imaginary worlds. This thrill of discovery (even of places that don't really exist) can be extremely compelling.

* Relationships Again, this is primarily an online "hook." Online role-playing games allow people to build relationships with other players. For some kids, this online community becomes the place where they're most accepted, which draws them back again and again.

In addition to the psychological addiction, it's now believed that there may be a physiological element to addictive game playing.Researchers at Hammersmith Hospital in London conducted a study in 2005 which found that dopamine levels in players' brains doubled while they were playing. Dopamine is a mood-regulating hormone associated with feelings of pleasure. The findings of this study indicate that gaming could actually be chemically addictive.

www.video-game-addiction.org...

Its simple, children play video games, children get addicted, child grows up, ever number to realities such as war or violence. Probably out of shape, and letting his own offspring become addicted so he can feed his own video game addiction.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant

Stop being facetious, you played your guitar for hours and are comparing that to wasting away on a video game? Let's instead explore games like guitar hero, where instead of kids learning to play a real guitar, kids these days are mashing buttons.

But its far easier than playing real guitar, so its far easier to get entertainment from that. Not to mention it is much cheaper and often played by people who are not willing to put the time in learning real guitar in the first place.

Gaming is far different from books. Video games are much much more appealing to children than a book, as well as bombarded with them since very young ages. Are books under the xmas tree? Nah, the new games are.

Let me further add are books really designed to be addictive? No more than picking my nose. While games have several elements designed to make them addictive. Actually designed to keep the player coming back for more and more and more. As technology advances, this will only worsen. Your talking Kid, Dad, and Grandpa, all sitting there, numb to the outside world; happy in there fantasy land video game - false achievements and all.

And books aren't made to keep reading when you are in th middle of it? or want to read the next in the serie when your done with the first one? Or TV, the people who write for that just want you to wait for the next episode. Should we ban those to?

In addition to the psychological addiction, it's now believed that there may be a physiological element to addictive game playing.Researchers at Hammersmith Hospital in London conducted a study in 2005 which found that dopamine levels in players' brains doubled while they were playing. Dopamine is a mood-regulating hormone associated with feelings of pleasure. The findings of this study indicate that gaming could actually be chemically addictive.

You know that Dopamine is a pleasure hormone? Everything that is fun can do that, sex increases it, good movies increases it, everything that someone finds fun can increase it. Again a weak example that applies to most, if not all forms, of entertainment.

www.video-game-addiction.org...

Its simple, children play video games, children get addicted, child grows up, ever number to realities such as war or violence. Probably out of shape, and letting his own offspring become addicted so he can feed his own video game addiction.

And parents living there lifes through there children is a new thing?

And a general response to all post you up until this point made: Please come with a strong point that ONLY applies to gaming.
No offense but in all fairness you sound like one of those parents that think that DnD, Metal and Rock'n'Roll are evil. One of those parent that cant deal with there own failure as a parent (or fear there off), that they need a scapegoat.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by R9e9l9o
But its far easier than playing real guitar, so its far easier to get entertainment from that. Not to mention it is much cheaper and often played by people who are not willing to put the time in learning real guitar in the first place.

Exactly my point. Why play a real guitar when one can be uber great at it much quicker and easier on guitar hero. Because it provides an illusion that woo, I can play! I'm a rockstar!

And books aren't made to keep reading when you are in th middle of it? or want to read the next in the serie when your done with the first one? Or TV, the people who write for that just want you to wait for the next episode. Should we ban those to?

Yes books are made to keep and hold the readers attention, as well as have peaks and climaxes. I still don't think you can equate a book to the tens of thousands of hours spent on video games. I'm not saying ban books, or even ban video games.

You know that Dopamine is a pleasure hormone? Everything that is fun can do that, sex increases it, good movies increases it, everything that someone finds fun can increase it. Again a weak example that applies to most, if not all forms, of entertainment.

Are 5 year olds having sex? Probably not. They are however playing games with realistic explosions, violence, gore, and beauty. Which will leave this current reality all the more less desirable, especially since gaming is started at a young age.

And a general response to all post you up until this point made: Please come with a strong point that ONLY applies to gaming.
No offense but in all fairness you sound like one of those parents that think that DnD, Metal and Rock'n'Roll are evil. One of those parent that cant deal with there own failure as a parent (or fear there off), that they need a scapegoat.

It does apply only to gaming, because trust me; far more people are addicted to just world of warcraft than addicted to books. Much less all of gaming.
I don't care how I sound, this is not of Rock'n'Roll. I am not a parent who has failed, but many have; video games are such a convenient babysitter. Ever see the picture of the guy with the infant on the desk while he's playing world of warcraft? Not a crime against humanity.. but come on, really?

edit on 23-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Why play a real guitar when one can be uber great at it much quicker and easier on guitar hero. Because it provides an illusion that woo, I can play! I'm a rockstar!

So whats your point then? Its just fun. Is fantasizing something bad?

Are 5 year olds having sex? Probably not. They are however playing games with realistic explosions, violence, gore, and beauty. Which will leave this current reality all the more less desirable, especially since gaming is started at a young age.

Thats just bad parenting, Games have age ratings for a reason (but sometimes a bit overdone for most people, but its based on the less stable minded) and most countries dont even sell with a rating above 13 to kids, unless a parent buys them. So again just the parents fault. And if an older brother or sister let them play them punish them both. (It seems most modern parents and parent teaching books have problems with punishing, but thats just negative reinforcement needed for every teaching progress)

It does apply only to gaming, because trust me; far more people are addicted to just world of warcraft than addicted to books. Much less all of gaming.
I don't care how I sound, this is not of Rock'n'Roll. I am not a parent who has failed, but many have; video games are such a convenient babysitter.

You know why WoW is addictive, it because people depend on you playing and you on them. Its based on the basic human interaction (as most MMO). Gaming wasn't that "addictive" back when online gaming wasn't a option for most people, its the human interaction that makes it "addictive". The more social inward people have online friends now as it easier to interact with them and less "danger". Online gaming as only a bit more addictive then hanging with friends, and "around as" addictive as creating someone with friends or paint-balling or something of the likes. There arent many people who are "addicted" to games that you can only play alone.

And they may be convenient babysitters (I don't know, I'm just an 18 year old non-parent) but agian, check what your kid is playing so they dont play shooters, let them play mario, pokemon, zelda or some sports game. There is a chance that the use there imagination more, get them interested in a sport, using ingenuity to solve puzzles or learn something about heroism and the likes. In all fairness I'v learned more moral lessons from games then anything else, maybe its just some wild fantasy but it made a good person.
And some games have deep story if (most of the time) some older kids want deeper game, like killer7 (There aren't many people who understand the plot but it has a (really) deep plot if you understand it, with allot of underlying symbolism. But thats probably one of the most "deep" games out there).
Not to mention that normal kids after the age of 13 can easily see the difference between fantasy and reality.

Ever see the picture of the guy with the infant on the desk while he's playing world of warcraft? Not a crime against humanity.. but come on, really?

Again just bad parenting but allot of people ignore there children also because of some series is on TV or because of work.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Why are people still arguing about this? If you don't like or want your kids playing games, don't let them.
Games can be extremely educational.
I have a three year old son, who has been able to play very simple matching games and similar on my iPhone since he was 18 months old. Now he's three, he's getting to grips with Angry Birds. Am I a bad parent for allowing this? I don't think so. When you think of it in the mind of a child that age, you are learning cause and effect and even basic physics.
Do I let him sit and play for hours? No, because he's a 3 year old boy. Do I take him to the library every week to read new books because he is so bored of his ones that I'm even reading him proper childrens books like The BFG and Matilda? Yes, because reading is important.

Are you complaining because children like to be entertained, or are you complaining about the parents who allow them to sit for hours, drooling, ignoring their name being called and letting their dinner get cold?

Games are fine. Even violent games.
You are going to get people who sit and game for hours, because it's a hobby to some people.
I game probably at least 3 hours a day minimum, and that's when my son is in bed. Gaming is MY hobby. I also read before going to sleep. Reading is another of my hobbies. I am self taught at playing guitar and bass, and loved Guitar Hero. I know that Guitar Hero has inspired many people to learn to play an instrument. I also play FPS games like Left For Dead, because I like going online with my friends.
And maybe when the zombie apocalypse does come, I'll be slightly more prepared than the people who sat about complaining that games are wrong

At the end of the day, what is the issue really?
SOME people can't tell reality from make believe and are easily influenced, which is an incredibly small number compared to the whole gaming community of millions. I don't think the whole gaming community can be tarred with a brush, just because a very small number of people committed crimes after being exposed to certain media.
Are a larger amount of gamers really dormant murderers, or do people really not actually give a # and just enjoy playing games?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I guess the argument continues because for a lot of us who do game, we haven't had any difficulties with addiction.

I'm a father and heading towards my 40's. I've been an avid gamer since I first bought a Commodore VIC20, followed by a C64, followed by an Amiga 500 and now PC. I've held high position jobs, never been violent, have almost paid off my mortgage and have a happy family.

I'm tired of being blanket labelled as something I'm not because I choose to game. It probably raises my hackles a bit more than others because here in Australia we have been fighting tough censorship laws (no R18 rating meaning games that were rated R18 in other countries were being put under MA15 here, meaning younger kids could buy them). The media has been throwing out all sorts of rubbish. Mostly fuelled by small Christian groups. Their ideals, not mine. I've heard it all before about one million times.

And please - don't even start to compare Guitar Hero to the real thing. It’s like comparing one’s ability to ride a tricycle with a world superbike rider. The tricycle rider can "BRRRRM BRRRRRM" as much as they like, but I can tell you right now, they won't be getting their knee down around Brands Hatch. Will they?

Having said that though - it was Guitar Hero that inspired me to actually learn real guitar. That’s not such a bad thing is it?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Yeah I started playing video games at the age of 4, I am now 24, not once have I ever tried to do something I saw in a video game, nor have I ever thought I could kill someone and that they would come back to life. People blame things that other people do on video games because it is an easy scapegoat. Instead of investigating and looking for the real source of the problem. e.g. columbine shooters, their acts were blamed on the video game Doom. Yet their upbringing, the bullying they recieved, and their overall mental status had nothing to do with this? (LOL) Ridiculous, the parents blame it on video games because they can't let themselves be targeted by the media for terrible parenting, it is a way for them to push the guilt of what their kids did onto something so that they can sleep at night.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Wow this place looks different when you make an account. I've been reading topics on this sight for years, but I signed up today because of this interesting thread. First off let me state that I am a Gamer, what one might call a Core Gamer and every time I see this issue I weep for the people of the world. Must we strive so hard to stifle creativity? Yes a lot of video games are violent... news flash; most entertainment mediums are.

I've been gaming for years and I can honestly say I've never felt disconnected from the world while gaming. I've played every genre and not once has any game evoked an emotional response save for disappointment in my self for allowing a game to beat me. This made me strive harder to do better the next time I played. I applied this same drive to school work and the various jobs throughout my life. Since I started gaming (way back when I was wee lad) I've had an increase in Hand-Eye Coordination, Observational Skills, Problem Solving and Reading Comprehension.

Gaming has been a great stress reliever for those tough days at work and a nice past time when I just want to relax. I can never get pulled into a world in a video game because it's always on display. There is no need for my mind to use imagination to be a part of the world. I'm simply an observer along for the ride.

Books on the other hand are an entirely different matter. Like the OP is with Video Games I am with books. I get lost in these wonderful worlds of words. I become immersed and the real world simply fades away. Books have the power to influence the way a person thinks and feels. I've cried tears of joy and sorrow, clenched my fist in anger and exclaimed in triumph while reading books. I've lost sleep over them (always telling myself I'll stop when I get to the next chapter) and I often can not put them down till I finish.

Books force the mind to create what the words are displaying, truly pulling you into the world it creates. Sights, sounds even smells; it's like being in a dream. This to me is a greater impact on the mind then any game. Books can be terribly violent and more graphic than any game or movie. The reason for this is because the mind has an amazing ability to visualize. My first experience with a sex scene was through a book as was my first experience with murder. No video game has ever frightened me, but books have sent chills down my spine.

Despite this I won't condemn books even though some of them are down right appalling. Books, like games have been blamed for peoples violent behavior as has music and movies. The simple fact is we as human beings are violent, but most of us have the common sense not to act on it.

And now for some game related humor:
I don't know why some people are so up in arms about video games, don't they know that the universe is actually a massive MMO from the fourth dimension. Don't you see! We are all just sprites dancing at the beck and call of our button pressing overlords!

edit on 24-7-2011 by Vageryn because: Dern typos

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Stop being facetious, you played your guitar for hours and are comparing that to wasting away on a video game? Let's instead explore games like guitar hero, where instead of kids learning to play a real guitar, kids these days are mashing buttons

. ..

I learned how to play bass guitar because of Rock Band (and yes, I spent hours on end learning the bass. It is quite fun.) I am now learning drums.

And then?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

Dude you don't know jack. And silent hill was a good game, and if you dont like it, dont buy it and dont play it, its not like there is only one type of video game out there. DUH.

Though I will admit there is the occasional person who will over do it even to the point that they shut themselves out of normal daily live and live a very unhealthy lifestyle. I know because I know a few people like that who play video-games 24/7 and eat nothing but junk food and are really physically unhealthy, and couldn't climb a staircase if there life depended on it.

But at the end its there life and there choice, so who are you to say what they should or shouldn't do?

And not everybody is like that, I myself play a lot of video games, or used to play a lot "or more then I do right now". But I still keep in shape and I am definitely in better shape then most people I have ever meet or seen, and am usually in the gym or doing something physical/sportive 5 days out of the week.

And the whole columbine thing had much more to do with them "the dudes that committed the crime" with them being outcasts and wanting revenge, then the video games they played. So don't even go there because it would just make me waste energy putting in writing your stupidities and assumptions.

And to tell you the truth some technology and video games is really like the only reasons I even bother to live in societies, if it was not for those I would be so gone. Because I am happy just living simply without all the hassle that comes with living among the heard.

Dissing video games.
I am thinking of foe'ing you but I have games to play, so as you can see I am to busy to bother.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You are asking to be flamed. I cannot be bothered explaining myself to you. So i'm gonna go load up Modern Warfare 2 and load up the infamous "No Russian" level and shoot up a russian airport killing hundreds of people. You know why? because it's entertainment and no different to movies.

You don't like it then don't play them or criticise others for playing video games. Let's face it we outnumber you 10000 to one.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
You are asking to be flamed. I cannot be bothered explaining myself to you. So i'm gonna go load up Modern Warfare 2 and load up the infamous "No Russian" level and shoot up a russian airport killing hundreds of people. You know why? because it's entertainment and no different to movies.

You don't like it then don't play them or criticise others for playing video games. Let's face it we outnumber you 10000 to one.

That's a bit uncalled for don't you think? I understand how you feel about games and this issue often causes anger to rise in most gamers, but the OP, sorry Hiasyouwant, has every right to post here whether you like his opinion or not. Saying you can't be bothered to explain yourself, makes me wonder why you replied at all? Are you incapable of defending your position on the matter? You are right though, games are just a form of entertainment, but you could've used a bit more tact when replying. Have fun at the airport.

Hiasyouwant, I feel for you I really do. While I don't agree with your statement that video games are bad I'm more than willing to hear your thoughts on the matter. The evidence you've put forward however is got going to sway anybody, especially on this site. The members of this forum tend to be well rounded individuals from what I've seen and most of them have common sense. Most studies about video games are biased and therefor skewed. If you're looking for the bad in something you're most likely going to find it, but generally within the minority.

You mentioned that game developers purposely create these games to pull you in and you'd be be right about that. How else will they get a player base? Authors do the exact same thing. When I write a story my goal is to pull 'you' the reader into my world and if I did my job right, you wouldn't to want to leave. In books we call these "page turners". (another term for addicting) Did you know that music and movies do the same thing. Music can at times be very disturbing, its insanely addictive and one of the hardest things to forget. This is because of the "Hook". Music artist strive to create that hook that will stick with you. You'll want to learn the song and find more like it. Ultimately leading to you buying anything they put out. Movies are often layered so that you have to watch them over and over again to understand them fully.

The reality is you can be pulled into anything. For some it's video games, for others movies; for me it's books. To each their own really. None of these things make them bad though. Our creativity is the greatest thing we have as a species; censoring it or stifling it would only lead to our demise.

edit on 24-7-2011 by Vageryn because: Restructuring

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just want to say Im a 28 yr. old gamer and can understand your arguement, but I strongly disagree. I still look back at that 4th Christmas with a shiny new NES under the tree as one of my fondest childhood memories. Even with the more realistic graphics and violent content in todays games, I believe the problem is with your inability to distinguish the difference between hardcore gamers, recreational and people with a couple screws loose that happen to play games. As for children, as in 17 and under, parents really should be keeping an I on what theyre kids are playing(thats what ratings are for). I dont really see a problem with a 15 yr. old playing a mature rated game if he/she can see the difference between reality and games or wrong and right, but again thats the parents job to make sure these kids arent playing just to shoot people. I know a lot of parents that would rather see theyre kids home and on x-box live with friends rather than out causing trouble or being involved in something violent that couldnt be avoided. Yes, Ive read articles on kids thatve killed and were constantly playing GTA and other violent games but, in all reality, if these kids are violent to begin with and violent games didnt exist wouldnt tv or the news just be another excuse for the crime? In my opinion, if someones playing a violent game just because they wish to hurt someone, then wouldnt playing a game to live out that fantasy delay them from actually going out and doing it if not keeping them from doing something all together? And just a thought, doesnt it tick a lot of the people off on this site, myself included, when a new theory or an opposite view on how somethings understood in the mainstream is shut down and dismissed immediately simply because the government or scientists disagree? Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to hate on someones opinion. Im sure violent games can possibly desensitize a child to other violent games and movies, but as far as real life goes most should see it as completely different or taught this fact by their parents if they cant make the distinction.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's a tough pill to swallow, that video games are bad; everyone is already addicted to them. I don't think cliff hangers and climaxes in books or movies equate to the severity of how bad video games have actually become. Reading books is a hobby and playing video games is a hobby, which are children actually engaged in and addictive to. It's not books.

The army uses video games to train soldiers. That's okay for children to spend thousands of hours behind the controls of? War simulators? When you hear WAR WAR WAR BOOM BOOM BOOM, and the most beautiful and extreme explosions and violence, its ecstasy at such a young age. For thousands of hours; behind the most extreme form of media, where YOU are the controller. Virtual worlds, of competing and 1uping the next guy. We're talking children, experiencing adrenaline rushes because they just bombed a city o leveled up. I'm not saying video games will make every kid grow up to be violent. But I can't imagine the long term negative affects it has on one's psyche and psychology.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It's a tough pill to swallow, that video games are bad; everyone is already addicted to them. I don't think cliff hangers and climaxes in books or movies equate to the severity of how bad video games have actually become. Reading books is a hobby and playing video games is a hobby, which are children actually engaged in and addictive to. It's not books.

The army uses video games to train soldiers. That's okay for children to spend thousands of hours behind the controls of? War simulators? When you hear WAR WAR WAR BOOM BOOM BOOM, and the most beautiful and extreme explosions and violence, its ecstasy at such a young age. For thousands of hours; behind the most extreme form of media, where YOU are the controller. Virtual worlds, of competing and 1uping the next guy. We're talking children, experiencing adrenaline rushes because they just bombed a city o leveled up. I'm not saying video games will make every kid grow up to be violent. But I can't imagine the long term negative affects it has on one's psyche and psychology.

And books are far more addictive (at least to me, someone who actually plays and makes them for living) as they are far more immersive and as any artist can tell you imagination is a powerful thing (even in medical terms, placebo) as you fill even the parts thats not named. Thats different with games, there the game designer fills everything (only the memory of the game is sometimes filled in). And what makes games more addictive then books and movies (this has to be a thing that most if not all videogames share, as your post seem to refer to videogames in general).

I agree... IF games didn't have age ratings, but kids only can get that kind of games (that you describe) when parents give them to them (or allow them to play them if they got it from older brother or sister). The same types of ratings that movies have (this of course include pornos). And "the most extreme form of media"? Not to mention that allot of people use videogame as a aggression outlet, which logically lowers the public aggression.

And please admit that you think not all videogames are bad (as you seem to only refer to shooters and MMO's, but you seem to talk about all videogames even genres as puzzle and educational games.)

And can you give us some evidence thats not a link to some site that only talks about how bad certain things are? (As they are made and supported by prejudiced groups, the same types of groups that say that rock'n'roll and Dungeons and Dragons are satanic.)
Or can you show any statistic that can be cross referenced, with a different source, that show the number of violent crimes compared to violent crimes that can be related to video games?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

Well considering that video games have already been around for over thirty years, I'm not sure there are any "long-term effects".

It's like saying watching a violent movie or reading a violent book has "long-term effects".

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by R9e9l9o

To me, video games are mainly offensive because they have far more potential to help our society instead of being detramental. If you can admit some are bad, I can admit some are good. Actually, some are good, just as some movies and most books. But the fact that a movie is only 2 hours, and a book actually uses your own imagination to imagine the store in one's mind. But these are already made up war zones and fantasy lands, the fact that they are so extremely addicting to children - probably like no other product in existence. That for me, is a problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

reply to post by R9e9l9o

To me, video games are mainly offensive because they have far more potential to help our society instead of being detramental. If you can admit some are bad, I can admit some are good. Actually, some are good, just as some movies and most books. But the fact that a movie is only 2 hours, and a book actually uses your own imagination to imagine the store in one's mind. But these are already made up war zones and fantasy lands, the fact that they are so extremely addicting to children - probably like no other product in existence. That for me, is a problem.

Can you tell me how you see that potential (as a gamedesigner I'm interested and see if your idea is actually possible)
I admit that some games can have a bad influence on some people. But saying that already made up warzone is worse then a imaginative one, is just odd in my mind. As, agian, the mind is powerful that even imagining and believing that your better (of an illness) and than becoming actually better (or your state being somewhat better) is the placebo effect. Seeing that the placebo effect is actually medically proven, is also knowing that imagination is strong enough to influence your body. Not to mention that imagination can more easily been mistaken for real memories, so the chance of having false memories is higher with books, and they are more open to interpretation so you can fill the gaps more easily. Not to mention that books dont have age ratings, so theoreticly a 5 year old kid can read about tortering and murdering without the parents having anything to say about the availability, but with games that can't happen because of the age rating (unless of course parents buy it for there children and then its just bad parenting).

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
lol Christians. NO but really video games are good for humanity. There are hundreds of titles of every genre you can even imagine. quit pointing out violent games and saying video games are bad. Silent Hill is an instant classic BTW.
edit on 27-7-2011 by shamaniski because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2011 by shamaniski because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join