It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Pick your poison people. How much information do you need to understand? We're talking of a game that's played, and slaved over over 50 million people. Need I link other so many terrible things due to games? Or will you do your own research?

Zynga designed FarmVille as "a negative experience," says Braid creator

In a recent interview with PC Gamer, game developer Jonathan Blow was asked whether he though social games are "evil." The Braid creator responded with an emphatic, "Yes. Absolutely."

blog.games.com...
blog.games.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

go back to page 20 and read my response please. I'd like you to "prove" to me I am wrong.

And you are selectively using Blows quote to your own end.
In his opinion, farmville IS a negative experience because it makes people stress about it when they aren't playing it.

That is again, not the game, it's the stupid people who can't apply perspective to the importance of other parts of their life.

If you want to fix stupid people. Please do. I will be the first person to put you on a pedestal and make sure that the entire world understands your contribution to humanity for you will most certainly deserve it.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Butterbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

You would have to read "the long response" at the bottom of page 20.

And my first post was precisely topical. All of the forms of media we enjoy today were labeled as the killers of society at some point by alarmists.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I've been a gamer since i was like 3 or 4 years old and i played my first horror games at 5 but you don't see me going arround killing people with golf clubs or start shootings at my school. The only problem this probably caused me was that it increased my agression a slight so i get mad very easy but this is good because if you have problems with gangs that randomly want to beat you this agression can save you.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Okay, so you're a good parent, and don't allow your kids certain games. Doesn't that add to my point? Not every kid is as fortunate, and even adults are greatly affected by any given video game. Prove to me how this trash benefits our society and is not extremely harmful? Oh let me guess, it increases our hand eye coordination? Give it a rest. This violence, trash, pedophilia, sex, rape, addiction, slavery. The more vices in society, the more susceptible society is to use such a vice, the shame of it is; this vice becomes only an outlet, until the true horrors occur. And this vice we're speaking of is video games..WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THAT OUTLET IS NOT SATISFACTORY ANYMORE?

Technology may not be advanced enough yet(probably already is), its going to be a huge cluster #@!$ between reality, and virtual reality. As if many of these people aren't confused enough; as proven on this very forum. Not one of you has proven to me video games is not detrimental to our society. It is. Show me otherwise. I've provided so much info.. and none of you have even responded to information I've posted. Bash away, you still can't deny the info I've posted.

I still just want 1 person to respond to the 50,000 testimonials of people addicted to WOW. For the 3rd time
wowdetox.com...

Just one response would make me happy. Guess I'm a troll, hopefully I can level up.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

So video games taught you to be aggressive and protected you against gang members? Wonderful tool! How could I have overlooked such a valuable resource. One must learn aggression through a video game to defend oneself. DOH.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I admit there are SOME people that can't handle video games, that percentage is ridiculously small though. Not everyone goes nuts and wants to put the gaming skills to a real life test :S.
I've been playing games since i was around 12 and im 19 now (This would make me a prime candidate for mental instability from video games).

I love shooting games, playing alot of battlefield bad company 2 lately, and im probably too nice. The other day i went for a run and saw a worm on the footpath so i picked it up and put it in the bushes hahahah i just think that all life is equal.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jamesprototype

No not everyone goes nuts, and I give you props for saving the worm. Many different people, playing many different games, are affected in many different ways. Psychologically, emotionally, even physically and probably even spiritually!. But in what way, at all, is a war simulator good for our society?

A star for the worm

edit on 2-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: the worm! (really)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
Okay, so you're a good parent, and don't allow your kids certain games. Doesn't that add to my point? Not every kid is as fortunate, and even adults are greatly affected by any given video game. Prove to me how this trash benefits our society and is not extremely harmful? Oh let me guess, it increases our hand eye coordination? Give it a rest. This violence, trash, pedophilia, sex, rape, addiction, slavery. The more vices in society, the more susceptible society is to use such a vice, the shame of it is; this vice becomes only an outlet, until the true horrors occur. And this vice we're speaking of is video games..WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THAT OUTLET IS NOT SATISFACTORY ANYMORE?

Technology may not be advanced enough yet(probably already is), its going to be a huge cluster #@!$ between reality, and virtual reality. As if many of these people aren't confused enough; as proven on this very forum. Not one of you has proven to me video games is not detrimental to our society. It is. Show me otherwise. I've provided so much info.. and none of you have even responded to information I've posted. Bash away, you still can't deny the info I've posted.

I still just want 1 person to respond to the 50,000 testimonials of people addicted to WOW. For the 3rd time
wowdetox.com...

Just one response would make me happy. Guess I'm a troll, hopefully I can level up.

I played WoW for 5 years.

I stopped playing WoW when it stopped being interesting. Around October of 2009. Several of my friends still play WoW and ask me monthly when I am going to come back and play it again.
I tell them never. I've played it, to the point that I am done with it.

My kids played WoW. When I stopped playing it, I ended the subscription. So they stopped playing it.

Never in 5 years did I not make dinner, or go to a parent teacher meeting, or skip work, or refuse to clean myself because I was worried about playing WoW.

But I don't consider myself a stupid person. So it's pretty easy for me to avoid doing really stupid things.
If you want to attempt to fix "stupid" please do. I will support you.

But there is nothing wrong with video games.

Just like there was nothing wrong with the printing press or Rock and Roll, or Rap Music, or Movies, or TV.
If you need a machine to rage against, then pick the one that will have the greatest affect on the greatest number of people.

Rage against the idea that even video games, can be "improved" so that they are simultaneously Teaching, and entertaining at the same time.

The Call of Duty franchise allowed 3 generations of people around the world to finally FINALLY be able to commiserate with the bravery and sacrifice made by millions during world war 2.

Games can be improved. Their can be benefits given to developers who strive to add beneficial social context to their stories. There can be new ideas focused on how to make social games that benefit the needy, or that combine people from around the world in a virtual space so that they can interact in meaningful ways with people they would never ever get a chance to meet in real life.

You will be as successful at getting rid of video games as all the people before you were at getting rid of movies, and rock and roll, and television shows.

Best of luck with that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Give me a break. Movies portray the violence with REAL people, real actors, much more realistic chopping off of heads, limbs, pools of blood, entrails, torture, mass murders, human extermination, cutting throats, burning people alive, brains, internal organs.... I could go on and on. Don't even think about attacking the game industry when there is a form of entertainment a lot more realistic in their depictions and just as widespread. Once you take down the movie industry then come back.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

You can say the same thing about movies.

Hostel
SAW
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Etc Etc The list goes on...

People were doing nasty things to other people way before video games came onto the scene.
You can't blame video games for violence. If someone is going kill someone then they don't need video games or movies to influence them, they will do it anyway.

Out of all the killers in jail, how many do you think are locked up due to a video game.

Do you think you can be born to murder?

I actually think video games create the opposite effect by developing our brains and increasing logic problem solving skills, hand to eye coordination, Creativity, the list goes on.

edit on 2/7/11 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

Unfortunately, weather movies or music or anything the like is worse or not is not the subject of this thread. Sure, they're worse, whatever you say. Now try to immerse yourself into a movie for thousands of hours. A horrific violent movie. Horror images constantly beaten into your subconscious. The amount of content, decision making, and feelings video games provide is unmatched to any movie or rap song.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Just a quick personal experience I had while at a local fun arcade. There was a pretty cool flight simulation game, with a man of eastern descent, wearing a remember 9/11 shirt.

I stopped reading after I saw that.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

reply to post by spacemanjupiter

The amount of content, decision making, and feelings video games provide is unmatched to any movie or rap song.

And that is why they deserve to be treated as a new and potentially great art form and tool for education, entertainment, and ultimately enlightenment.

Instead you want to pile them up in town square and burn them.

When a child stops being a toddler, and starts being a child, they now have deductive reasoning ability. That child asserts itself, starts saying NO, and opening doors it wouldn't open before. Starts playing with things that belong to mom and dad or an older sibling.
This is considered a natural progression. You don't take that child and throw it away during terrible twos. You instruct, inform, and try to empart on that child a sense of responsibility, and empathy.

Well when you look at industries and media, video games are still in the terrible twos.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

reply to post by BrianDamage

Just google "World of Warcraft addiction", nevermind gold farming mines in China. I'm not making this stuff up. It absolutely affects a persons life more than literature or a movie; and will continue to worsen. You are not nearly as immersed as you are watching a movie as you are in such games. Some of these people make this their life. Are you telling me I should be allowed to create a virtual child on a free game Sony puts out, find a Virtual adult, and engage in Virtual sex? Is that okay? Every turn, decision and moment is often left up to the player, and often plays out differently. There is no one addicted to literature or film the way they are addicted to these games. Thousands and thousands of hours spent on a movie? Hardly.

News flash, more than 10 million play World of Warcraft. What percentage of these people are addicted as you say?

You'll love this video
www.youtube.com...

Yes I've played it, yes I'm normal, and yes I enjoyed it. And no, I do not want to go kill aliens.

edit on 2-7-2011 by Thatoneguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
When are you all going to be honest with yourselves? Your all killers. When you get right down to the very basic, animalistic core of man there is a need for slaughter and mayhem. I know most of you will deny this about yourselves but we all know its there, lurking in the dark. Until they let me hop into an arena with a sword to fight to death against another human, to drink his blood in celebration of my victory and to take his head as a trophy, cod black ops will have to do. As for letting fulfilment of this need affect the rest of my life, that’s a descion, just as allowing yourself to be addicted to anything else is a descion. So while your on your hi horse ban alcohol. I guarantee alcohol, which I don't drink by the way, causes much more harm to families then video games ever will.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

You CAN say the same things about movies. I'm not saying video games take sole responsibility for people doing terrible things.

Now imagine a game where you get to play Leather face in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The sweet ecstasy any individual may experience, being behind that chainsaw, is something different from completely the movie experience. Will this cause a serial killer? Probably not, but guess what, maybe so. It will surely cause new thoughts in certain individuals mind. Just as I mention in my OP, a guy who was actually shot in the Columbine shootings played a game re-enacting that day, and said "It's weird for me to say this, I guess, but there's something about it that I appreciated, seeing the game from the killers' perspective."

He appreciated seeing the game from the killers perspective? Really? Okay, so he won't go on to re-enact his own Columbine, but how could anyone argue that this way of thinking is healthy and not completely detrimental Video games are bad for us. It's that simple.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Thatoneguy

News flash, I already posted that staggering number of people who play WOW. Doesn't that number alone tell you anything?. All the while there's more lives are being ruined, more slaves being created, more money for Activision Blizzard to figure more ways to recruit slaves.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

About 2 billion people worldwide consume alcoholic drinks, which can have immediate and long term consequences on health and social life.

Over 76 million people are currently affected by alcohol use disorders, such as alcohol dependence and abuse.

Alcohol causes 1.8 million deaths a year, which represents 3.2% of all deaths worldwide.

How many deaths has Wow caused?

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join