It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rookie Local Cop Saves Life Of 1-Year-Old Girl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a good cop

TEMPLE (June 28, 2011)—Rookie Temple Police Officer Jacob Tatum who was on his third day on the job, is credited with saving the life of a 1-year-old girl who was choking on a barrette.

Well played officer.

I've seen quite a bit of bad cop threads lately, and see a continuous rebuttal for good points.It's a fair argument to say that only focusing on the bad gives the wrong impression so I present one good. Take this as a form of balance, but remember that good stories don't lead the news.

Now when the next bad cop thread appears let it not be said that all cops are like that.

Remember though that in comparison to this fine young officer the abusers of power look even more degenerate. This is why I do this, so that we have a measure.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Hero Cop Saves Woman's Life

Above and beyond

Older story, but this is a shining example of what "to protect and serve" really means.

I offer you another example of what real heroes do and how they act.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It is definitely nice to see a thread on a GOOD cop.

Lately it has felt like there is no good cops out there, but there indeed many of them. Like so many other things the media only likes to give attention to the terrible things happening, and the same has been going on with cops.

There is indeed a lot of BAD cops out there, but there is also a good many number of good cops as well. And we all need to remember this, instead of making it out that they are all the same.

S + F! Thank you for posting this and reminding us that there are good apples out in the orchard!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
True all you ever see are the asshole or stupid cop stories which are probably 1 percent of the police force,we just lost a cop here shot in the face with a shotgun during an armed robbery,these are the risks they take to keep us safe.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Kudos to the officer involved.

I suspect that there are far more good cops than bad but the media prefer not to publish niceties

S & F

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The link to the main article doesn't work for some reason. Now, as far as I can tell the cop saves a 1 year old? I'm not trying to diminish the good deed he has done, but I'm relatively positive that even a "bad" cop would try to save a 1-year-old under such circumstances. However there seems to be a threshold, an age limit, where "bad" cops step over the bounds in dealing with civilians. Saving a 1-year-old is great; but tazing a 20-year-old who's not even drunk and paralyzing him for life, tazing and beating the pulp out of a 17-year-old mentally handicapped kid because he couldn't speak correctly, and arresting/destroying video evidence of a guy filming from his own property, doesn't level things out. Simply put, there just needs to be less reports overall of the brutality/abuse/corruption we're seeing; and although this story is uplifting in and of itself, it doesn't really soften the blow for all the other incidents occurring right now.

But I see your point and it's one I was already well aware of: there are still many good cops.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

I didn't post this example, or the following one to refute bad cops.This example is how you judge the bad cops you mention. You hold their actions against those of their peers.

For every jerk cop, there's a hero. By pointing out the good and the bad we have a better "measure" and it makes more sense to decry and ask for the removal of those that are not in this line of work for the public good.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I agree with what you're saying, we only really see the examples of brutality posted, and not many good ones to match. I'm not quite sure if this is simply the nature of the news media, or because secondhand alternative media sites such as ATS pick and choose the bad ones. I'm not a person who thinks all cops are evil because of what I see through such threads, but I somehow get the feeling there are an increasing number of bad/power-trip cops coming into the light. I only wish there were more postings such as this instead of the innumerable opposite we've been seeing as of late. However, I also feel it's important to expose the bad cops and incidents involving them, because the public still needs to be aware of what's going on. If it was the opposite and we ignored all the bad stories, it would be like putting a random thick piece of cloth over a festering wound. Corruption HAS to be exposed.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

This is irrelvant. They can do heroic stuff and 30 minutes later they can go and tazer kittens.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Hey actual good news.
I was figuring she went into cardiac arrest and he tazed her back to life.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by Seiko

and 30 minutes later they can go and tazer kittens.

It was an officer safety issue.

The kittens could have been rabid.

They were trained by their owner to attack.

We should wait and hear both asides of the story.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Etc....

Did I miss any excuses?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Yes you did miss at least one. When we look at the video we dont know what happened before the tazering starts. It's obvious the kittens were arming nukes before the filming starts

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

He was only on the job for three days.

Let's see how he acts after three years on the job. I doubt he would even look up.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
How many people are saved everyday by somebody who knows the Heimlech and it goes unreported and without notice? I myself have used it at least a half dozen times, ejected the blockage, and everybody just went on with their day.

Give this rookie 10 years on the job and he'll meet that girl again to tackle her or tase her on the street for being an unruly teen.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'd have the same response if you had posted a thread about a local Cryp or Blood saving a little girls life.
He's still a piece of # and no amount of saving lives is going to change that.
A gangster is a gangster is a gangster is a gangster.Period!

You can put lipstick on a pig and guess what???
It's still a pig.

If this guy is reporting his fellow officers for corruption and violation of peoples constitutional rights then I will eat my words but, since he still has a job, I don't think that is the case.

The turd in my toilet bowl may jump out and save my kids life but, in the end, I am stil going to flush the SOB down.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Ok so the cop saved a girls life. Ten years down the line and he'll be as corrupt as the next one.

Not being negative, but this is the state of the world. Nobody trusts the police, for every good cop there's thirty horrible ones.

-- No offence to the OP, it's actually nice to see a 'good' cop story, but you see my point.

I really hope some police are reading this thread, so you can see just how much we distrust you lot.
edit on 1-7-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I agree.
As a person who takes a job as a police officer, you are agreeing to represent an organization.
In this case you would be agreeing to represent an organization known for corruption and violation of constitutional rights as well as abuse of authority.

If you agree to represent an organization such as this,
it is going to take a hell of alot more than saving a life to turn the tides in your favor and change public perception.

The Hells Angels does alot for Kids charities. Does that mean you want them in your neighborhood?
Are you going to trust them with your wife???
I can tell you I'd trust a Hells Angel with my kids and my wife ANY DAY over a cop!!!!!!
That's how bad cops have become.
One feel good thread about a cop saving a life isn't going to cut it.
The only way I would give this pig any credit is if he would have died trying to save her life.
At least then we'd have one less piece of # on the streets violating people's constitutional rights.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
In 10 years, this "rookie" cop will be pulling over the parents trying to rush their choking daughter to the hospital for speeding. When the parents don't calm down after the officer tells them to relax, he will then Tazer the parents and arrest them for resisting.

But for now, he's a hero. Yeah.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Great post.

for every 1 bad cop incident in the news, there are probably 10,000 unmentioned Good cop incidents.

most good cops just want to do their jobs and dont require special acknowledgement every time they do them correct.

dont let the few bad apples spoil the bunch!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join