It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How i am preparing for whats coming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I am very nontraditional when it comes to preparing. instead of supplies which everybody and their dog will have. I am amassing knowledge. In the years past i have bought miniature lathes and machine tools. studied workbooks done projects to learn how to build things. I moved on to lost foam casting where you take a Styrofoam mold coat it with fire resistant material and stick it deep in sand which hot metal is poured in. I have experience in repairing automobiles and welding. having built a gas welder from a propane tank and a oxygen concentrator. recently i have retaken up electronics. I know what most of the chips do what you see in computer power supplies and CRT TV's plus i own a hand held oscilloscope with voltage and micro amperage readouts. I bought many electronic components such as photo transistors comparators op-amps, resistors etc. I am doing this because i realize that a true survival situation involves many types of prepared peoples. I would be useless to the team if i was a A+ marksman and half of the other people i just met up with are as good or even better than me. goes for all skills. The prudent measure is to stock up on skills few people have or can learn. that way you will be extremely valuable when you are hunkered down for long periods of time.

With advanced mechanical and electronic skills you can build all sorts of surveillance devices, meters to read processes, electronic weapons, circuits that can change low voltages created in crude batteries like nail in lemons for useful work like lighting lights or powering laptops Sky is the limit. please feel free to chime in or correct me in any way

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sounds like you've got it covered!

I'm curious though....what's a coming??

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Economic collapse and ze end of ze world!

No for real they are coming.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Cool. I am sort of practical because I don't have alot of money. Most of my time lately has gone into studying the night sky. I have two telescopes, video and audio equipment. An ATV 360 spycam, I love that thing. Got all the camping basics. etc. dont plan on carrying a heavy load and will leave behind things for later retrieval if needed.

Right now I have a small but efficient garden and I plan on having a seed bank in the future.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Congratulations on doing something. That puts you ahead of most people.

I would advise against a knowledge only approach. When it comes to survival in a SHTF situation, you will need both knowledge and supplies. You don't want to have to start making things on D-day. The good thing is that you have the hard part down. It is a lot easier and quicker to acquire supplies than learn skills.

You should get some supplies. Throw MacGuyver into an empty room butt naked, all his knowledge wont do him any good. Put Joe Citizen in a room with a rubber band, pencil and pack of ketchup he is equally as useless. You need your ying and your yang.

Edit to add: A SHTF situation could wipe out electronics and make that aspect of your skills mostly useless. I would consider picking up more skills in chemistry or herbal medicines. They might be higher commodities than electronics in the world to come.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well I hope "they" kidnap me and take to a better place than this rock.

Seriously, I wish I had the means to prepare for whatever may happen. I barely make it by on what I do have and it ain't much. I commend you for your aquiring the necessary skills to be self sufficient. Kudos to you sir!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
Congratulations on doing something. That puts you ahead of most people.

I would advise against a knowledge only approach. When it comes to survival in a SHTF situation, you will need both knowledge and supplies. You don't want to have to start making things on D-day. The good thing is that you have the hard part down. It is a lot easier and quicker to acquire supplies than learn skills.

You should get some supplies. Throw MacGuyver into an empty room butt naked, all his knowledge wont do him any good. Put Joe Citizen in a room with a rubber band, pencil and pack of ketchup he is equally as useless. You need your ying and your yang.

Edit to add: A SHTF situation could wipe out electronics and make that aspect of your skills mostly useless. I would consider picking up more skills in chemistry or herbal medicines. They might be higher commodities than electronics in the world to come.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

Higlhy doubtful. A EMP is not likely to blow out computers not connected to the net let alone discrete components like transistors.

I did learn chemistry as well. i know how to make energetic compounds from salt and electricity.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Make sure you learn how to make electricity or those things you know about won't be worth anything.

Kind of an important fact I didn't see you mention.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Are you just going to keep making posts like these? We get it, your amazing and can do anything with car parts and bubble gum.

Should be learning more primitive survival skills if you really think you will be in a survival scenario. What good will your stuff do you when you cant get power and everything else has gone down? spend all day making contraptions and you draw attention to yourself.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

You brought the generators. Everybody thinks that they are a lone wolf.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

What do you do when the fuel runs out? Your talking about short term suvival and your skillset eventually will not be needed due to lack of power. Unless you can convert to some sort of natural power supply but I haven't seen you mention that yet.

Also the things you talk about are good if you find a safe place to hole up but it doesn't allow for much flexibility if you have to move alot.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Natural power to generate electricity is not a difficult thing to do. Wind mills and water wheels can easily be built to generate electricity with a few of those "car parts" added in; it is then just a matter of "gearing" so that your input mechanical rotation speeds can be sped up or reduced(as needed) to rotate the car alternators at proper speed. Get yourself some permanent magnets to go with those lathes and you won't even need batteries to provide excitation voltage or to energize electromagnets. Even better wold be to go ahead and build a permanent magnet generator now while it would be very easy to do so.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Natural power to generate electricity is not a difficult thing to do. Wind mills and water wheels can easily be built to generate electricity with a few of those "car parts" added in; it is then just a matter of "gearing" so that your input mechanical rotation speeds can be sped up or reduced(as needed) to rotate the car alternators at proper speed. Get yourself some permanent magnets to go with those lathes and you won't even need batteries to provide excitation voltage or to energize electromagnets. Even better wold be to go ahead and build a permanent magnet generator now while it would be very easy to do so.

the alternator only need 12 volts of excitation. you can make this from a few small batteries.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Its good that your prepping for the future, but what I don't understand is the fact that your jumping all over the place from saying preppers are basically stupid, to this tread...so as far as any further posts from you, I will not take any of what you say as any kind of trueth...or pay much attention to them.

I hope your just stirring the pot, but there are people on here that don't know what to do..and you could be doing more hurt to them, than help...I think you have some good info for them on things to think of out of the box, so to speak, but not everyone here is as smart or able as several of us here...please help people don't confuse them...
Lets face it, we have teenagers to retired people here that are actually looking for help or advice.

Being able to make yourself valuable in a SHTF is priceless, and recommended....but doing things by reading them, is a lot different than actually doing it for real....so you need practical application of your skills and abilities.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by pellian

Being able to make yourself valuable in a SHTF is priceless, and recommended....but doing things by reading them, is a lot different than actually doing it for real....so you need practical application of your skills and abilities.

did you read my first post. I said that I actually bought a lathe, bought electronics and chemicals. used them to make stuff etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

the alternator only need 12 volts of excitation. you can make this from a few small batteries.
And a year after tshtf when there are no "good" charged batteries to get that initial excitation, what then? Now you can make a battery bank from lemons or oranges or even potatoes, but do you want to waste food? And yes, I know even more ways to make electricity chemically, or with piezoelectric crystals or even with a bunch of thermocouples(it would take A LOT) exposed to an open flame and wired in series. But how many others know that kind of stuff? Permanent magnet alternators/generators are an easy solution.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Another stupid thread like your " im a genius one!!"

Im a genius

All that is ok but they all need power to run of and if their is a real problem the first thing to go will be the electric and with EMP weapons batteries too will be useless.

Well done. Why do you keep trying to sell yourself to the world.

I dont believe you one bit!!
edit on 1-7-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by pellian

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by pellian

did you read my first post. I said that I actually bought a lathe, bought electronics and chemicals. used them to make stuff etc.

I suppose being one of them uneducated types also brings about a lack of reading comprehension. Good post! This whole time I've thought of just acquiring survival skills knowledge and practicing those skills. Hadn't even thought how valuable basic electronic/chemistry skills would be. Definitely Got me thinking about learning more about it, I might even throw in basic medical knowledge as well. Thanks for this post, it was really helpful in getting me to think about more than just basic primitive survival skills and how valuable and useful more advanced knowledge would be in not only one's own survival, but in helping to rebuild large communities for the benefit of our species survival. Star and flag!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheButcher23
reply to post by pellian

Another stupid thread like your " im a genius one!!"

Im a genius

All that is ok but they all need power to run of and if their is a real problem the first thing to go will be the electric and with EMP weapons batteries too will be useless.

Well done. Why do you keep trying to sell yourself to the world.

I dont believe you one bit!!
edit on 1-7-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

Actually EMP won't destroy electronics if they are powered off. In other words, have no electricity running through them. One of the only viable options we have of defending against a possible large CME is to power off the nations power grid. Failure to do that would result in some places being without power for up to ten years as we rebuild transformers that take almost a year to build. See, basic knowledge is also useful for helping to not make yourself look like an uneducated idiot bitching without any basis in which to bitch. If you don't know, then don't comment. If you wish to comment, verify your baseless opinion with a quick google search. Thanks for enjoying ATS, have a wonderful day!

And yes, the OP is a genius compared to you...

new topics

top topics

join