It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Sues Ed Mitchell -- supposedly over a 40-years-ago swipe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Uncle Sam sues suburban Lake Worth astronaut for return of space camera
www.palmbeachpost.com...

Jane Musgrave, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Updated: 11:25 p.m. Thursday, June 30, 2011
Posted: 7:39 p.m. Thursday, June 30, 2011
WEST PALM BEACH — Strapped for cash, Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell didn't think twice about auctioning off a camera he brought back from the moon 40 years ago.
But Uncle Sam thought about it - plenty.
Armed with information from a New York auction house, the federal government Thursday sued the 80-year-old suburban Lake Worth man, claiming he was trying to sell property that wasn't his.

Jeeez Louise, is there some brain decay ray they focus on NASA HQ?

They are welcome to all the suspicions sure to arise -- not without merit -- that it's retribution for his talking out of school about other topics.

And they can do all the explaining and excuse-making themselves, not my job, man.

edit on Fri Jul 1 2011 by Jbird because: bb code switched [] brackets to []

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is despicable and vile behaviour from them. Let the old man be and have his camera

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Man... next thing you know, the government will be suing me because I forgot to return a textbook in the second grade.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Maybe NASA will return the Moon Landing video

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Here's a man who went to the Moon and back...not many can claim that. Who worked for, then, the most prestigous government agency, who is strapped for cash.

Is it me or is there something wrong here? This is so wrong on so many levels. Goes to show you what your government thinks of you!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Maybe he can blackmail NASA and say if they sue him than he's going to spill all the beans about what NASA knows about extraterrestrials.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Had they not brought them back, they would have been destroyed, he said. After astronauts climbed back into the command module for the roughly 250,000-mile trip home, engineers in Houston blew up the lunar module, he said. "It was government throwaways, government junk," he said of the various items he salvaged. His most prized possession is a hand controller from the Apollo 14 spacecraft.
"They were going to throw it away on the lunar surface, so why not?" he asked.

Poor Mr. Mitchell... I respect that man. If the government truly cared about its citizens, they would at least give Ed money for the camera. He's the only reason that camera still exists!(On earth)
...now the government wants to retroactively impose their polices for their twisted and delusional version of the 'greater good'. This probably wouldn't be as big of an issue if Mitchell 'went with the flow' instead of voicing his beliefs on ETs and beyond.
edit on 30-6-2011 by OrganicAnagram33 because: addition

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Even as a UFO skeptic, I have to say "Wow!"

Now, this is very interesting. Very interesting, indeed.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
See? At least this piece of information is NOT totally censored and at least we could feel sorry for an old man and his camera. That's hitting below the belt --- too low for NASA to go over something from the past.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Edited and deleted..I had a senior moment.
And Im allowed.

edit on 1-7-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

Edited again as I discover I DID NOT have that moment....was commenting the thread was in wrong forum and see it has been moved whilst I wrote.

edit on 1-7-2011 by annella because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Seriously? What could they possibly have to gain from this? It's not like this was a DSLR and still contains images on it that may still be classified, or a state-of-the-art technology... I really don't understand this lawsuit at all. They should have better things to be doing and spending money on. Ridiculous. All I can do is shake my head and mutter "wtf..."

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Maybe they didn't want whoever got the camera, to snap a picture, and discovery they're miraculously standing on the Moon.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

He should have brought back a few pieces of the moon. Thats worth ALOT more,then a camera.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

If Federal Law has jurisdiction, Mitchell can apparently do as he pleases with the camera. I checked out a document on statutes of limitations that suggests 20 years is the limit for property theft.

Limits by Crime Although the majority of federal crimes are governed by the general five year statute of limitations, Congress has chosen longer periods for specific types of crimes – 20 years for the theft of art work;16

Even allowing for extensions granted under wartime policies (Cold War), the limitations don't extend far enough to honestly charge him. Going off the article, I guess they must have a case somehow, but it's really hard to see to who's advantage a prosecution would be?

Maybe times are so tight that NASA could do with the speculated $80k for the camera?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here's a thought...

Imagine what someone could do with that camera, THE camera used to take photos ON THE MOON.
Someone like, lets say Richard Hoagland, who could then perform experiments with and on said camera; compare an actual picture taken with the camera to the pictures released by NASA. One could realistically expect to prove if photos were manipulated by such investigation.

So you say NASA wants the camera back.......

edit on 1-7-2011 by GuyverUnit I because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

Limits by Crime Although the majority of federal crimes are governed by the general five year statute of limitations, Congress has chosen longer periods for specific types of crimes – 20 years for the theft of art work;16
your observation would be relevant if he was being charged with a crime, a criminal matter.

However the lawsuit in question appears to be a civil matter.

Remember OJ Simpson won the criminal trial but lost the civil trial? (Not sure if that trial made headlines there but it was big here anyway). They are two different things.

Could NASA be trying to set an example to other NASA employees, that stealing NASA property is not encouraged?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Interesting... Is it possible this has anything do with the fact Dr. Ed. Mitchell has gone on record about the existance of aiens?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
One word sums up NASA , begins with a T and ends with a wats.

If they're going to sue an old man over a camera then maybe the public and the old guy should counter sue for all the junk that NASA puts up there?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Um, I just dont know what to say about this, wow.

I am an Australian, & even I find this offensive. Dr. Ed Mitchell is a living legend, an inspiration to anyone who can imagine just a fraction of the courage it took him to go to the moon, in the name of NASA, the USA, & the world, & yet, somehow I am not surprised.

(As far as we are told) he is one of just a few who had the balls to accept that mission, yes it was an honour, but in relation to the risk, they are still huge balls.

I know as an Aussie I may not have the right to say this, but I am getting a bit ashamed of the US Govt & NASA (we are on the same team remember, I know its your taxes not mine, but still, we played a BIG part in the Apollo Program too, without us, nobody would have seen it) in relation to the space program. I know these days you can afford it as much as us, but still, someone has to keep the flag (any flag) flying for the 'good guys'.

To hit this brave man with such a frivolous, or down here, such an "American' law suit, is shamefull. I really hope the people of America, those who still have pride in their nation & it's living treasures, stand up in defenece of him & make this go away. What a pathetic act, seriously NASA, whats next, sue Armstrong for saying what it felt like to be there ?

NASA, grab a dictionary & look up 4 words.
Living
Legend
National
Treasure, & thats from an Aussie. Shame on you !!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Its probably just a way of giving Dr MItchell a kicking now he is old and frail. He has spoken on his ET experiences so to them he is no longer a "good soldier". They have probably had it in for him for a long time and now they have a justifiable (in their eyes) reason. Nasa have always been dirty lying slags and this just shows their True colours.

edit on 1-7-2011 by Elvis Hendrix because: probably

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join