It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ancient Maya and their origins

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

It is much more than that. If you don't understand much about their brilliance you should read the OP. You seem to have skimmed and offered nothing. Cheers for the response though.

edit on 1-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I am calling it a night, I will catch all you cats tomorrow. Sleep well and rest like you should !!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by Logarock

I couldn't disagree more and I think you may have a jaded understanding of the topic at hand. It seems that you are making grand generalizations for the sake of it. Really appreciate the response friend, but you should take the time to elaborate on the point you were making, otherwise it appears to be poorly thought out. If you had have read my OP you would have been able to realize your point is a minor concern.

If you knew your topic....you would know what i am talking about without any elaboration.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Thank you for a well presented thread.

This is one of my favorite topics. The Maya and Olmecs. I'm no history or anthropology major like some, but you can't ignore that their calendar has everything to do with the "precession" of the Earth, and the changes the Earth experienced during different times of the precession. The fact that professional scholars don't necessarily agree with this leaves me bewildered.

Many ancient cultures tracked the precession such as the Egyptians, Babylonians, Indians, Chinese, and others, so why wouldn't the Maya?

I also believe that the precession has most everything to do with climate change.

2012 will be an interesting year...glad to be alive to watch it unfold.

Wiki has a nice page on the precession for those who are interested.

Wiki

I love reading about the mayan calendar, so if you have any more great links, please share.

S & F

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
And political propaganda....they were masters of this human mind bending bondage. They and the Egyptians were just masters at turning public/royal structures into political poster boards. They backed this up with their priest....pulling stunts....having these charts they knew when there would be an eclipse and so the masses were bamboozled into many things.

Now folks these days warn about some getting ahold of certain knowlege and using it to put the world into bondage.....dumbing down....and then will point to these old cultures as if they represent some golden age of humanity. Well it was....the golden age of pulling the wool over the eyes.

It seems like we're on different topics altogether. ..this isn't about bondage or even theoretical bondage.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Thanks for the response friend!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

It is much more than that. If you don't understand much about their brilliance you should read the OP. You seem to have skimmed and offered nothing. Cheers for the response though.

edit on 1-7-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

Hardly. Without sounding arrogant, I most likely understand the Maya better than you. I've taken far too many classes in anthropology and pre-spanish Americas not to.

I didn't skim, and all I really got out of your post was that some of the Maya came from the Olmec civilization, which is common knowledge in this field, and that they believe the earth was destroyed and restarted again every baktun, which is false. Though they held this belief, they did not think it happened every new baktun.

Your original thread offered no more information than that, and a nice picture of an Olmec leader wearing the sport helmet.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Take it from a person who is related to someone with Direct Mayan blood, with all due respect, I can say, it seems Sir_Slide has far more knowledge and understanding than you, certainly a far more open mind, despite you having taken x- amount of classes ignoring the, idea of the origins (which I am pretty sure spans far before the Olmec, sometimes just because the evidence is not found right away does not mean it never happened) to continue ... ignoring the esoteric, astrological, spiritual, and above all the encompassing knowledge they had, you are missing the big picture. They sky is never exactly the same every night. To an untrained eye perhaps it seems that way.

Understand I am not trying to insult you (upon reading back I feel it may sound or come off as a bit insulting) that is not my intention. I do not claim to know everything, however my first hand experience with my relatives that have an unbroken line of Mayan blood would suggest to me Sir_Slide is more on point with his exploration and views.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I am calling it a night, I will catch all you cats tomorrow. Sleep well and rest like you should !!!!

FAAARRRWAAARD AN FIAKA
MANACLE EN DEN GO SAKA

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I saw a documentary the other day, & can't remember the name. It showed how in hundreds of years if we were wiped out. People studying our lost civilisation would misinterpret thing like our swimming pools. Thinking that this is what we used for our water resources. Giving comparisions to us today saying that we probably mis-interpret ancient civilisations as well. Makes sense.
edit on 1-7-2011 by tetsuoatx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
"The Origin and Destiny of Man" Edgar Cayce.

You will find this most interesting. Edgar Cayce describes the evolution of man over a 10,000,000 yr span...Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria etc..and addresses the Maya at length. I understand he was just "prophecizing" while in a trance, but interesting just the same.

He also addresses lost races, pyramid and mound builders and Plaeidians, Native American origins and the supposed technology of crystals in and on the lost continents by the originating "1st-2nd-3rd" mysterious races over the earths history.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuoatx

This is a great point, and very true. Although I think we are starting to see the basic elements to various ancient cultures, we grossly misinterpret the finer details. I think we make too many assumptions about these cultures(ie - the Mayans, to stay on topic) based on modern cultures. Also, based on my research on ley lines, I've found an element to the Mayans, Egyptians, et al., that we overlook(and even dismiss altogether). Mysticism. We don't understand it, and therefore dismiss it; even criticize the idea. But then, there is a lot about the ancient world that we have no idea about.

So here, I leave you with a book reference. It's called "Secret of the Andes" by Brother Philips. It was written in the '70s. If you can find it, read it with an open mind - you might learn something. Fascinating stuff anyhow!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Interesting idea. I’m sure there has been what you would call advanced civilizations’ long before we know about them.
The Mayan calendar going back so far has always interested me (along with all ancient cites and righting) I think some of the religious practices were a way of preserving knowledge through ritual.
If there was a much older culture, they would have to have had interaction with others around them and inevitably passed knowledge to them. How old that culture was, will be up for debate for a long time, I suspect for older then we currently think.
After all, we have had the same brain for about 200000 years. So we could have easily lost some pretty advanced couture’s and not know about it.
I believe that they would know the stars extremely well and it would make since, understanding patterns in nature is essential to life. Expanding on culture along with the understanding of the celestial bodies would improve their ability to keep time which we all know is extremely important.
Patterns in the stars along with seasons then years would inevitably link events, and the longer you keep track, the more clear these events become, making you able to predict the next years cycle, then the next 5-10-20……
If I were trading with my neighbors and liked their wares I would want them to keep those wares coming so I would share my knowledge of cycles to keep my goodies coming, thus preserving such knowledge through time.
A 26000 year cycle seems a long time, but passing down at least a calendar would be relatively easy so to speak since it would be a valuable tool. The stories of such a culture would also be passed down, although it would get bent and twisted with time. And personal prejudice would intersect as well. This would sever the elite.
Essential information like the calendars and maps would be less likely to be destroyed, thus the best information on the age of older cultures.
I don’t believe the world will end in 2012 and neither did the Mayan, it is the end of one cycle and the begging of another. Not all their cycles had the same outcome but they thought the end of one and the begging of the other was a changing, and that changing was not always catastrophic. That the end of the last cycle may have been catastrophic doesn’t mean the end of this one is, they simply say is a change.
With all the new discoveries being made I’m sure we will find a culture that links all the older cultures together somehow. If there were and culture tens of thousands of years ago there won’t be much left, stone monuments or structures will have to be found and somehow dated but I do think they were there. One good smack by Mother Nature to an unprepared culture, could easily put it back hundreds of years.
Good post, always interested in this ancient stuff.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen

Take it from a person who is related to someone with Direct Mayan blood, with all due respect, I can say, it seems Sir_Slide has far more knowledge and understanding than you, certainly a far more open mind, despite you having taken x- amount of classes ignoring the, idea of the origins (which I am pretty sure spans far before the Olmec, sometimes just because the evidence is not found right away does not mean it never happened) to continue ... ignoring the esoteric, astrological, spiritual, and above all the encompassing knowledge they had, you are missing the big picture. They sky is never exactly the same every night. To an untrained eye perhaps it seems that way.

Understand I am not trying to insult you (upon reading back I feel it may sound or come off as a bit insulting) that is not my intention. I do not claim to know everything, however my first hand experience with my relatives that have an unbroken line of Mayan blood would suggest to me Sir_Slide is more on point with his exploration and views.

Right. So I take it you never read my first post, which was literally showing that the sky moves every night, and how easy it is to notice it.

As someone who is related to someone with Direct Ardipithecus Ramidus blood, with all due respect, you will never know a fraction of what they knew about their culture.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Great thread. i remember reading a book years ago, "Breaking the Mayan Code"...
Yes they're astronomically oriented civvy, but your thread doesnt seem to give a clear indication on the issue of their "origin".

it would seem that just like the sumerians they just appear out of nowhere and disappear just the way they came.

i doubt if the present generation of incans and mayan indians had an inkling of what's really on to them.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Interesting perspective. S & F

This leads one to speculate that their calendar was originally of Olmec origin, as most archeologists agree that it was the Olmecs who had the first civilization in Central America around 1500 BC.

As many of our readers know I've written a few threads on the topic of Sunken Ice Age civilization/culture which we may never fully understand. There are possible Dry "Ice age" coastal location for an ancient Caribbean sunken civilization. [The light colored area in the following image] There seems to be some circumstantial evidence that supports this theory.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f008a32e55b8.jpg[/atsimg]

There has been some speculation that the "Mississippian Mound Builder" were related somehow to either the Mayan or were an offshoot of the Olmec themselves. The history of the Caribbean would be closely tied to any possible sunken civilization. They are certainly old enough to have been survivors of the period

Ortoiroid people The Ortoiroid people were the first human settlers of the Caribbean...

The earliest radiocarbon date for the Ortoiroid is 5230 BC from Trinidad; the latest date is 190 AD from Puerto Rico.

In North America if we traveled up the Mississippi we find Mound builders who possibly had roots in either the Mayan or even the older Olmec civilizations.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/490c17412f57.jpg[/atsimg]

Cahokia

Cahokia kəhoʊkiːə is the site of an ancient Native American city (650-1400 CE) near Collinsville, Illinois in the American Bottom floodplain, across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri. The 2,200-acre (8.9 km2) site includes at least 109 man-made earthen mounds. Cahokia Mounds is the largest archaeological site related to the Mississippian culture, which developed advanced societies in eastern North America centuries before the arrival of Europeans.[1]

Cahokia was settled around 650 CE during the Late Woodland period. Mound building did not begin until about 1050 CE, at the beginning of the Mississippian cultural period. The inhabitants left no written records beyond symbols on pottery, shell, copper, wood, and stone.[4]. The city's original name is unknown.

A couple of pictures to ponder.

Cahokia North America
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c14e1a29596c.jpg[/atsimg]
Olmec Central America
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8181d9c2e4ce.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72a015b8886b.jpg[/atsimg]

Does anybody remember the following image? It caused quite a stir when it was first released. It shows the destruction of a civilization from a tremendous volcanic eruption followed by flooding. Could this depiction and the Olmec ruins be proof of that titanic destruction?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01321ecc11ce.jpg[/atsimg]

Most if not all the major Olmec stone carvings that survive to this day show massive amounts of damage in some form. It has been speculated that the damage was caused by rivals or later cultures defacing their work. My question is this. Wouldn't it have been easier to have chiseled off the inscriptions and carvings than trying to break them apart?

I theorize the reason why these stone carvings were heavily damaged and strewn throughout the jungle is possibly due to some form a titanic destructive force leaving only these few sculptures. Maybe a huge Volcanic eruption followed by a huge tsunami could have ripped apart ancient temples and flung them all over the surrounding area. Pure speculation on my part.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d597cef7aa7f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16d86ead36e4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c4181601cea.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1648882e514d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I’ve always been intrigued by the Mayan calendar and it’s design.

You know, I don’t come across the actual design that often and I’ve been meaning to take a close look at it. Thanks for posting the above picture.

I noticed something, but before I give my thoughts, I want one or two people to give me their interpretation.

So my question is this. What is your take on the two figures at the bottom of the Mayan calendar?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Not many people are going to know enough to comment intelligently on this - but it's a great read. Thanks for posting. (s&f of course)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
more info. I find it hard to tell the Mayan and Aztec calendars apart.
The names for the days of the Aztec month are represented by the symbols of the second ring. The third ring contains forty small squares, each filled with five balls. These represent days in the Aztec year — 200 in all. Crossing this ring and extending to the sixth ring are four arrowheads. The sixth ring is the largest and contains two large serpents whose tails terminate in arrowheads ornamented with feathers. At the bottom of the calendar the serpents are brought face to face with each other.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Now this ladies and gentlemen is a true ATS thread, good job on giving us a more connected picture.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join