It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Effect Rain in Indiana-Lots of lightning&Strange Clouds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I have lived here near Chicago in Indiana my entire life, and today was an awkward day as far as weather. First we had no chance for rain today-until they changed it this afternoon or morning...Earlier the heat was so bad and moisture built up, and then a massive storm came rolling off of the lake directly south like it was mid-winter.
Is this normal?
Also I have no pictures to back up my clouds (dead droid...) but there was a very large cloud that looked like a mini-supercell and clouds were being stretched as they were being sucked up into it.
You could tell the atmosphere was extremely unstable as everything was almost painted in streaks and puffs across the sky. The sound of thunder is never ending.
But a very cool sight all in all.
Upon searching I did find this article:Weather ELements
So I guess it does happen.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

i live in chicago aswell! Spectacular sight to see! all the dry lightning, Then the hail! I didnt seem normal, Because out of my 14 years living here, ive never seen that before.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Thinair1

Yes it is very wild and intense, I have all cp's unplugged too. Screw a power surge protector for this...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Interesting I had never noticed... the main highways exit the capital Indianapolis like a cart wheel. Considering the location of Indianapolis, the Lake Eerie fault line and the direction of the St Lawrence River rift... it reminds me of some guy who said he had a prophetic dream about a wagon wheel, the new Madrid fault line, an angel holding two bowls together until they are full and a major earthquake.

Strange weather? changes in atmoshpere

Looking to the sky in hopes of predicting an earthquake is not a new idea. The theory, which in science circles is called "Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionosphere Coupling mechanism," goes like this: Right before an earthquake, the stressed fault releases more gases, especially the colorless, odorless radon gas. Once in the upper-atmosphere ionosphere, the radon gas strips air molecules of their electrons, splitting them into negatively charged particles (the free electrons) and positively charged particles. These charged particles, called ions, attract condensed water in a process that releases heat

Hhmmm probably just another day of odd weather like the rest of the world is experiencing.
edit on 30-6-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've seen lake-effect rain come down Lake Michigan plenty of times before. But I've never seen heavy lake-effect thunderstorms like we're getting today. Lake Michigan is still relatively cool. And the warm, moist air going over the cool water of the lake is causing these heavy thunderstorms.

edit on 30-6-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

Wow now I am even more worried, I posted a thread on here about gigantic rainbows (very deep red) was in the sky and it was freaking huge, it scared me when I first saw it. I had never seen anything that big before in my life-it was overwhelming.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Now the ground has been splitting open in Michigan, we are seeing some strange days in this area, but no one pays attention to warnings, only disasters.
www.youtube.com...
Heat has been coming out of the crack:
www.youtube.com...
Fish dying in this area: www.huffingtonpost.com...
www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

These charged particles, called ions, attract condensed water in a process that releases heat
reply to post by samlf3rd

Hhhmmm ... wonder if the charged particles increase the colour density of the rainbow you saw?

Wasn't there a mass earth worm die off earlier this year in that area?
And a massive land slide occurring in the area north of New York?
edit on 30-6-2011 by LexiconV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
liveing in michigan the weather comeing of lake michigan the weather people are rong more than thay are right. I have seen some crazy stuff in the clouds alot for almost all majer storms not saying its not diffrent just michigan weather is unpredicable and south of lake mI is probaly the same. the weather ushaly does not head south on lake mI as it did today but it does happen dont know about the lighting thats always has a mind of its own.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It was my fault. I washed my car at 2 in the afternoon after letting it go for two weeks. I have the unusual power to summon weather that way.

But seriously, the weather tonight was weird. Usually you don't see a storm pattern off the lake like that in the summer months. Or if you do, it's just rain without much thunder and an immediate 20 degree temperature drop. Without some major cooling off, it seems weird.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well 2 days in a row now. They say we have a heat wave going, but everything is flooded and rumbling very badly. It hailed here bigger than golf balls, woke my family right out of bed at 6:00 A.M. Dented our car, broke windows and leaves are everywhere.
Here is a video from today:

top topics

join