It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio governor signs law allowing guns in bars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Ohio Republican Governor John Kasich on Thursday signed into law a bill that allows gun owners in the state to carry concealed weapons into bars and other places where alcohol is served.

Source: www.reuters.com...

I'm not so sure thats such a good idea. But hey maybe it will cut down on the drunk bar fights.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Yea they will be gun fights..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Im all for our constitutional rights. But this doesn't seem like a good idea.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I want some of what the governor is smoking. Good thing I quit drinking so I don't ever have to worry about going to a bar in Ohio.
I wonder how many drunk people will challenge someone to a duel...
edit on 30-6-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Half of me wants to say this is a really bad idea.

The other half of me wants to say that anyone who would be irresponsible enough to shoot a gun in a bar is already going to disregard any laws in place that would prevent them from bringing it there. It's true that gun legislation only really affects the gun owners who are willing to listen to the law, and affects criminals to a much lesser degree.

However, it can be almost guaranteed that this legislation will lead to at least a few gun-related injuries and possibly deaths.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well that's really stupid!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, that's one way to empty the shallow end of the gene pool.

First round's on the guy with the biggest gun.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
"Ohio Republican Governor John Kasich on Thursday signed into law a bill that allows gun owners in the state to carry concealed weapons into bars and other places where alcohol is served"

Lets see here .....

gun owners ?

+

carry concealed weapons

+

bars

+

"other places where alcohol is served"

lol i understand this if we were talking about responsible people ...

but drunken fools have the right to carry it around like undercover cop and use it when they have a emotioal drunken fit ? lol

stay away from these silly states!

Even the people who drink and drive home? now can carry a gun and pretend to be rock star in a race car lol this is a terrible bad idea!!

why would they do such a thing lol almost like they want the "accidents " to occur . who knows probably use it as a final gun ban lol

they violate constiution alot ... eventually this will be taken away also.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In Florida, we have had concealed carry for a long time. However, you can NOT be under the influence of drugs or alcohol while in possession of a firearm. That is a law too. I often tell people that if they are going to carry concealed and happen to have something happen where they will have to go hand to hand fighting because there isn't justification for deadly force; you better know how to fight well. Because if you lose your weapon in the fight, you most likely will be shot by your weapon. OK, that is just common carry in public. Now, if you go to a bar and everyone is drunk as a monkey, you run a serious risk of either being badly hurt or winding up in prison if you end up shooting somebody over a fight. And most people I know don't go out to bars to drink cokes and hang around. In Florida we have no go areas, mainly sporting events, bars, schools, etc. There is a good reason behind it and why Ohio thought it was a 'good idea' to allow it in bars is insane if you ask me. I am ready to see a lot of shootings in or outside of the bars around downtown Cleveland for starters.

Just recall the Wild West saloons and I think you will get the picture. In a bar late into the hour people are not making good judgment calls. I wholly support concealed carry and as I have said before, Florida passed a law where you do not have to attempt to retreat even in public. Fortunately, we haven't had much of a problem, actually none that I have heard of. But, BARS? Nuts!
edit on 30/6/11 by spirit_horse because: typo(s)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Being a long time bar man
nope
Dumb idea...

It's the kind of thing you would do if you want to eventually get rid of guns...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As an Ohioan, I think mandatory open carry in bars would be a better idea. Yet on the other hand there's nothing stopping the bar owner from checking for concealed carriers, which he or she can serve at his or her discretion if it isn't already illegal to serve them.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Source: www.wane.com...

Indiana’s new gun law takes authority away from local governments, saying they can’t restrict the constitutional right to legally carry a gun in a public place. Friday, people across Indiana will be able to carry a gun on city buses, parks, libraries, even in a police station. It's aimed at making gun laws more consistent across the state.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
If you have a concealed carry permit, you are NOT allowed to be under the influence of drugs of alcohol while carrying.

So what's the problem? People just being cowardly again? Scared of the big bad concealed carry guy?

If you are a concealed carry supporter, odds are you aren't going to be an idiot and get drunk while carrying. If you are going to break the law, and carry while you are drinking, then why would you care if it's legal to carry inside a bar?

So James who has a concealed carry permit, is going to break the law and get drunk while he is carrying, but then he is going to respect the law and NOT carry his gun into a bar? What sense does that make?

If you don't have a problem with breaking the law against being under the influence while carrying, then you aren't going to have a problem with breaking the law against carrying while in a bar.

You people are just more scared little citizens that don't realize a simple truth: CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW THE LAW. Making it illegal to carry in a bar isn't going to stop someone from doing so, if making it illegal to carry while under the influence doesn't either.

Try using some logic, the world would be a better place.
edit on 30-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

The problem with some of this is one requirement to be able to carry a wepaon is you cant be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Not sure how they are going to be able to reconcile that one. While I am for the people to be able to arm themselves, there should be some conditions when it invovles alcohol or drugs.

Aside from that, I agree with the law.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You guys are funny, on one hand you complain how the government is taking away your rights then when they ease them up you complain it's not a good idea. My university is thinking about allowing students to carry concealed weapons.

The Supreme Courts decisions in 2008, and 2010 also sided with the second amendment rights of individuals so guns are anything if being taken away. In fact it looks like the government is easing up maybe too much.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Living in Ohio, and having a CC Permit, let me just say that anyone who thinks this is a bad idea is not taking into account that:

#1 There is also a law in place that the owner of the weapon can not be under the influence while carrying.

#2 No respectable gun owner would take a fire arm in a packed club, unless circumstances warrant it.

#3 Saying I cant take my gun into an Applebees, (which serves alchol and has a bar) is like saying I can only defend myself at Burger King?????? Does that make sense to you?

The Bill is a good measure to insure those of us who have under gone extensive background checks and training, have the right, and the mindset to defend themselves anywhere.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
It's the kind of thing you would do if you want to eventually get rid of guns...

Yep.

Drunk people with guns = tough new safety laws.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
You guys are funny, on one hand you complain how the government is taking away your rights then when they ease them up you complain it's not a good idea.

It seems that this is about taking away rights when you think about it.

Drunk people will shoot each other, and new laws will be needed to stop them.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Well, Ohio is in in the west of the US. It's no wonder they want to turn the clock back 150 years to the ''good 'ol days'' of the Wild West.

When I read the thread title, I immediately got the mental image of Clint Eastwood swaggering nonchalantly through the saloon doors, and then walking up to the bar and laying down the gauntlet to some cowboy by knocking his hat hat off or spitting on his boot.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Plenty of states have no restrictions on guns in bars.

Somebody want to link some of these drunken shoot out stories to the thread rather than fear and pretend to know what you're talking about?

Surely they must be abundant, no?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 1-7-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join