It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Software Sheds Light on Who Really Wrote the Bible - Is it a hoax?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Software developed by an Israeli team is giving intriguing new hints about what researchers believe to be the multiple hands that wrote the Bible.

The new software analyzes style and word choices to distinguish parts of a single text written by different authors, and when applied to the Bible its algorithm teased out distinct writerly voices in the holy book.

The program, part of a sub-field of artificial intelligence studies known as authorship attribution, has a range of potential applications -- from helping law enforcement to developing new computer programs for writers. But the Bible provided a tempting test case for the algorithm's creators.

www.foxnews.com...

Ok, I admit, I was a lil taken back by this story.
What would subjecting this type scrutiny to
the Bible do for those who want to prove
the Bible a hoax ???

Is religion under attack here ???
Is God himself under attack here ???

The places in which the program disagreed with accepted scholarship might prove interesting leads for scholars. The first chapter of Genesis, for example, is usually thought to have been written by the "priestly" author, but the software indicated it was not.

Similarly, the book of Isaiah is largely thought to have been written by two distinct authors, with the second author taking over after Chapter 39. The software's results agreed that the book might have two authors, but suggested the second author's section actually began six chapters earlier, in Chapter 33.

The differences "have the potential to generate fruitful discussion among scholars," said Michael Segal of Hebrew University's Bible Department, who was not involved in the project.

How long will it be before technology
will prove the Bible and/or religion
a hoax ??? Will this software aid
in that process ???

please discuss, I want to hear
your opinions. Do we take accept
the results of the software tests
or call it pseudo science ???

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Er.... I always thought that The Bible WAS written by multiple authors. Book Of Matthew, Book of John, Book of John the Revelator (Revelations), etc etc etc ?

Personally, I have always believed that The Bible is a collection of folk tales passed down the ages.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I don't think it's an attack really.

Let's take the book of Job as an example. I'm not entirely sure who wrote it, or even when it was written. This software might be used to help answer this,

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I think you missed the point in the article.
Meaning the computer program thought
that multiple authors wrote in the same book.

a cabal maybe ???

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well it's possible. I mean Religion in the wrong hands can be used to control the masses.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Er.... I always thought that The Bible WAS written by multiple authors. Book Of Matthew, Book of John, Book of John the Revelator (Revelations), etc etc etc ?

Personally, I have always believed that The Bible is a collection of folk tales passed down the ages.

Yes, 300 and 400 years after the fact. And it has been edited more than any other book every written.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
oh this is fantastic ... the theology department was lacking some new reserach and experimenting . It was collecting dush there for a while !

glad to see we got some more tools to disect it now .. ... pesky humans the # we think of lol and the tools we make never cease to amaze me

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Most of the writing in the new testament are directly or indirectly influenced by Paul, Jesus did warn of him.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Yes, 300 and 400 years after the fact. And it has been edited more than any other book every written.

yes I would agree that it has been edited
but by who and why ???

Has religion and the Bible been twisted
away from it's original for man's agenda??

Would explain and account for the variances
in authorship within the same book.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What would be interesting is if it discovered any of the Luke, John, Mark, Matthew texts were written by different authors.
I have a feeling the fundamentals would just deny it just like evolution.
I'm gonna have to read the comments of this on Fox News...Fox News always has great comments filled with derogatory names for liberals. I can only imagine what they are saying on this story.

Looks like they're just ignoring that story.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I just hope they pull other ancient texts - - and compare those writings to those the bible consists of.

I would be interested in the comparisons of what didn't make the bible.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I wonder what the results would be
if this same scrutiny were applied to
the Quran ????

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

There was a TV show about that very thing a year or so ago. It said that back in the middle ages that every time there was a new ruler both the Bible and calender would be edited to the wants of that ruler. So not only has the Bible beed changed who knows how many times so has the calender which could be off by as much as 300 years!!!!!!!!!!!. That it why you find big gaps in history, they keep messing with dates.

Sorry about getting a little off topic there.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967

There was a TV show about that very thing a year or so ago. It said that back in the middle ages that every time there was a new ruler both the Bible and calender would be edited to the wants of that ruler. So not only has the Bible beed changed who knows how many times so has the calender which could be off by as much as 300 years!!!!!!!!!!!. That it why you find big gaps in history, they keep messing with dates.

Sorry about getting a little off topic there.

oh crap, that could mean we might have another
100 yrs before the Mayan Calendar ends as they were
on a different calendar.

holy crappola !!!

is it too late to cancel my life insurance policy ???
lmao

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
. . . the Bible a hoax ???

Well - - the bible is a hand picked selection of texts. What about those that were not included?

I would like to go back as far as possible in original ancient texts and have them translated by non-believers.

Then compare everything.

Why should we protect something if it turns out to be false?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
maybe they can add the gnostic gospels
to the next set of texts to be studied and/or
scrutinized.

I wonder if there will be any similarities between
the authors of the Bible and the gnostic gospels ??

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Religion? Yes

God? No

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

please discuss, I want to hear your opinions. Do we take accept the results of the software tests or call it pseudo science ???

Ok, you're on, boondock-saint. Your posts never cease to amaze me. Finding truths about the Bible by seeking it's origins is not a new science. In fact, with no formal training or college, I found my own truths about it, simply by reading a great many books. For instance, on your question. Remember when the Bible Code guys came out with that? All the hoopla and controversy for months, then it descended into two distinct camps. Even if the Bible was proven to be completely wrong, there would still be a camp that would differ on that. This is why book religion is a bad thing, and not a good thing. Because of all the hatred it inspires in it's devotees.

The computer is a marvellous invention, thank you Zetas for the transistor! The sad thing is, people, that computer sitting in front of you is nothing compared to a big Cray. I'm talking 100 CPUs hand soldered into that motherboard.

The point is, we do not need software to discover hidden truths, all we need is a penchant for reading and research.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

I wonder if there will be any similarities between
the authors of the Bible and the gnostic gospels ??

That is an excellent question. Better yet, would it have as many, less, or more variations?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
this was another statement which jumped
out at me.

Today, scholars generally split the text into two main strands. One is believed to have been written by a figure or group known as the "priestly" author, because of apparent connections to the temple priests in Jerusalem. The rest is "non-priestly." Scholars have meticulously gone over the text to ascertain which parts belong to which strand.

so can anybody tell me what books in the
Bible were supposed to have been written
by Priests ????

I thought they were ALL non-priestly
people who did God's work and just wrote
it down later.

The software seems to be saying that some highly
educated authors wrote parts of the Bible.
Would this contradict what we have been
told ???

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join