It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could malware spread through remote connections?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
OK, I am freaking out and as it is a long weekend in Canada, I have three more days of freaking out to do. Unless someone here can answer my question.

I was working from home on a remote connection to my computer at work. After doing my work, I ran MalwareBytes and found I have malware. Could it have gone from my computer through the remote connection to my computer at work?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I would think it's possible...but not 100% sure...not too well versed myself on how the remote connection works...but I would think it could

I'd say just to be on the safe side...run the anti virus on your computer at work...
edit on 30-6-2011 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Not likely.

Get microsoft security essentials and run a scan on your pc.

You can also rerun malware bytes again if you again find something you may have a root kit.

I would recommend going to www.bleepingcomputer.com... and ask on their forums for help.

the guys there are top notch at helping people with malware.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

www.pcmech.com forums are pretty helpful as well

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
You can get it from remote connections. The stuff does not discriminate. If it is a work computer then shame on them for not having better protocols in place that do active real time scanning. Good luck to you and hopefully it is nothing nasty and hopefully it can be easily resolved.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
malware is usually a local attack meaning its desgined to infiltrate your machine and do the local user harm or direct the user to harmful connections.

Its unlikly anything was transfered via remote desktop or vpn, any harmful attacks would normally be protected against by your vpn server firewalls and security software on the busniess end (assuming a regulated and controled network)

Malware isnt usually designed to spread through network connections, a virus is and thats why it has the name it does

edit on 30-6-2011 by Biigs because: added text

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well, the majority says I am safe

Thanks all, for the answers. I don't care too much about my computer, but I have only been working for a month, so infecting the work computers would not be good.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Second scan was clean and Avast scan showed nothing.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I'm going to answer your question with another question.

Can you transfer information wirelesly from, say, your computer to a wireless router to another computer?

Here's another...

Can you turn your television on remotely?

And...

Do cellphones exist?
How could we do much of what is done these days without wireless transmission of information?

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, you guys were right. Absolutely nothing happened

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It can definitely be spread via endpoints - e.g. thumb drives. That's why more and more businesses have to think about protecting everything, everybody, every device with reliable endpoint protection. Services that operate in the cloud can protect 24/7.

This kind of plays into the whole consumerization discussion - employees bring their own technology (smartphones, tablets) into the workplace. Then businesses have to figure out how to protect all of these devices that could be sharing sensitive data/information.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
My answer is yes but I would really have to know technical details of the 'connection' and the nature of what transacted between the computers.

If it gives you any comfort rest assured that STD's can not be transmitted thru any 'remote connection'.

new topics

top topics

join