It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOD AND ROCK - Good for Atheist or Believers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
These are my favorite rock songs about God. Now don't tell me you'll argue with George Harrison, Norman Greenbaum, Kiss or The Doobie Brothers.

Can anybody help me to include more to the list ?

"My Sweet Lord". Not necessary a christian song. I Believe George wanted to tell us "There is only One God".

"Spirit In The Sky". That guitar sounds like one of a kind. I didn't know the original version belongs to Norman Greenbaum, it became popular thru the Doctor and the Medics version.

"God Gave Rock N Roll To You", Impossible to forget thanks to Bill & Ted. What a great song, Kiss makes me get emotional.

"Jesus Is Just Alright". The Doobie Brothers ladies and gentelmen, debunk them.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Let's not forget:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Heh, I just spent all last week doing volunteer work and camping at the Alive Festival (a Christian music event). The only band I liked was Skillet:

Then you have Iced Earth, who appear to be rather conservative but they aren't preachy at all. So even as an atheist, you can appreciate their message.

edit on 6/30/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

This song's basically in agreement about how Christianity should be a positive influence yet its being distorted and turning away from the more "important" message. Awesome song.

edit on 6/30/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Wow, I didn't know that song. I payed attention to the lyrics. Interesting at least. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

I liked both songs, but you're right, the first one is the best. great.

Now I see there are 3, lol.

edit on 30-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Ha, just remembered Antestor. The music isn't bad but trying to introduce a Christian band into the black metal scene (which is anti-religious in nature) is probably deserving of ridicule. Anyway, I guess its a nice black metal song about God, lol.

I'm trying to find some of the local bands that fit this category, but I'm having trouble so I'll post them later if I find 'em. I don't consider myself a Christian (more of an agnostic/atheist) but my Christian friends tend to drag me along to Christian events, lol. I have no problem with it so long as the people don't have a holier-than-thou arrogance going. I can still admire peoples' modesty and willingness to help others.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
reply to post by Trueman

I don't consider myself a Christian (more of an agnostic/atheist) but my Christian friends tend to drag me along to Christian events, lol. I have no problem with it so long as the people don't have a holier-than-thou arrogance going. I can still admire peoples' modesty and willingness to help others.

BRAVO ! You don't consider yourself christian, but you must be a good person under God's eyes.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Don't forget this gem of late 1980's metal....oh those high school days......

and yes...I must admit...I do like this song

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
How about Tesla's rendition of 'Signs', originally recorded by 'The Five Man Electric Band'

www.youtube.com...

Not to mention the classic ZZTop hit combo, 'Waitin on the Bus/Jesus Done Left Chicago' , the latter half being what I refer to.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggalette

and yes...I must admit...I do like this song

Yeah, kind of catchy.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrandrTorny
How about Tesla's rendition of 'Signs', originally recorded by 'The Five Man Electric Band'

www.youtube.com...

Not to mention the classic ZZTop hit combo, 'Waitin on the Bus/Jesus Done Left Chicago' , the latter half being what I refer to.

www.youtube.com...

Fixing your good links :

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Excellent sample of music. I think I have pretty much all of these songs on my iPod.

One correction. The song "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" was a song written by a British band called Argent in the early 70s. Sweet song.

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
Heh, I just spent all last week doing volunteer work and camping at the Alive Festival (a Christian music event). The only band I liked was Skillet:

I've seen them live about 3 times. Excellent band. Last time I saw them was this past year when they toured with Creed. It was like having 2 headliners in the same show. Speaking of Creed. We can't forget his song about Heaven and he spoke about it at the concert I went to last year. Said that Miller wanted to buy the rights to his song for a beer commercial. His words. "You can't take a song about Heaven and use it to sell Beer."

edit on 1-7-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Good choices, particularly Creed. I must add my favorite song by them...

I love the lyrics to this song - very poetic

edit on 7/1/11 by Juggalette because: fix link

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's a band I saw live one night a few years ago. They call themselves "Broken 34:18" and they follow a Maiden-like sound. Pretty bland, to be honest, but enjoyable to watch in person. They gave me their CD for free so I might as well share it, lol.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just to add a controversial song video from U2.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Man, you should be doing this thread and not me (LOL)

new topics

top topics

join