It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think we have the theory of the Universe of size and time completly wrong!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Ok, so what if we have been measuring the light coming out of the universe beyond our Galaxy wrong? I think we base distance in the Universe using light and the dopplar shift it has taken to calculate exactly how far the light source is away from our detection point. Trouble is we base our measurement on the speed of light from a measurement made within our solar system. It has just been discovered that at the edge of the solar system there is a membrane, once we leave that membrane and go into outerspace, with the lack of protection from our protective membrane, does light travel at the same speed?

If you are still with me, just let me explain. If outside of this membrane the physics that we know has variations affecting the speed of the light then it might distort the dopplar shift that we would expect.

Also we seem to base our distance theory based on moving objects, the time it takes light to reach one galaxy into ours. However if we are travelling in a different direction and at a different speed to said galaxy then there will be a doplar shift in light giving us different colors and an inaccurate measurement of distance bassed on our own assumptions.

I for one think that they are wrong and I believe that other galaxies could be much close or even much further away than what we expect.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Very interesting theory. I have absolutely no knowledge of anything astronomical so I will look forward to see what smarter people than me come up with in this post.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
It has just been discovered that at the edge of the solar system there is a membrane, once we leave that membrane and go into outerspace, with the lack of protection from our protective membrane, does light travel at the same speed?

Do you have a link to this information big guy? Sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I don't know, but the news of a membrane around us to me just re-enforces the notion that we living in an Atom inside of a much larger something,

and we are universes for trillions of galaxies inside of us

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hi guys! We are getting ever closer to finding this out. A few weeks ago, it was announced that Voyager I would be reaching interstellar space, and sooner than expected. Voyager II also trails not far behind. Here is a recent article on Voyager's...voyage.

www.astrobio.net...

It also describes this sort of membrane or medium separating the galaxy from interstellar space.

edit on 30-6-2011 by DisasterButton because: New info.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Thats the NASA report, is says we are effectivly inside a bubble and what lies outside is unknown. The voyager probe is currently travelling through this membrane so hopefully soon we shall have some answers.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Trouble is we base our measurement on the speed of light from a measurement made within our solar system.

You first must clarify this base point your theory is taking a wrong turn at. If it doesn't stand up to observation ten anything after this is not worth considering.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Would all physical measurements outside the solar system be affected by this theory, or just the speed of light? Would spectrographic analysis of light from other stars be wrong too? If it's all wrong, then it's consistently wrong and rather meaningless. If it's only partially wrong, than we would need to explain why speed, as opposed to spectrography, is affected.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Theres research to surgest that the speed of light is not the "fastest" particle/wave we know of.

Theres also research to surgest the rate at which isotopes decay is entirly dependant on where in the universe it is, id be more specific here but the research is kinda new.

Scale is the thing that blows my mind. I have this unshakable thought that the universe is both infinatly big and infinatly small. (i say universe, while that litterally means everything, what i mean is, what the word universe means to us, space matter, time and the 'rules' it adhears to, as we see it). Theorys says that the faster we go the more mass we have, faster in relation to what? The earth is already going XXX thousand miles per hour, perhaps everything makes sense when its "still" but since everything is moving around each other at different speeds perhaps our perception or calculations change with it.

who is to say that the further "out" one goes the "bigger" one gets due to the spacing of our molecules, we might not even notice it since everything else out there is also "bigger".

Needless to say the theory of relativity, is even more relative than we think and how we think of this sandbox of a universe changes the faster, smaller, heavyer we are/go what we percive and experience changes.

This is why am agnostic, i belive sceince over religion but what we dont know about our universe could fill an new one

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Well what I am thinking is that within our solar system light travels at 299 792 458 meters a second, however once it leaves our solar system membrane who is to say that light can double or trebble in speed. Light travels because it contains enerygy so you'd expect that in our solar system the natural resistance of the matter around us might limit the speed of light, much like walking into gale force winds and walking with it, you can walk faster using the same energy by going with the wind as there is less resistance to your motion.

If once light leaves our solar membrane, what if the natural resistance of propogation for light is halved. Would the speed of light greatly increase?

This could have profound implications because it could mean that other galaxies are within our reach without as great an advancement in technology that we currently expect we need. Meaning that space exploration may soon take a gigantic leap once the Voyager probes find out what is beyond our membrane.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Theorys says that the faster we go the more mass we have, faster in relation to what?

Distance from the Cosmological Microwave Background radiation. It is measurable.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Toromos

Well what I am thinking is that within our solar system light travels at 299 792 458 meters a second, however once it leaves our solar system membrane who is to say that light can double or trebble in speed. Light travels because it contains enerygy so you'd expect that in our solar system the natural resistance of the matter around us might limit the speed of light, much like walking into gale force winds and walking with it, you can walk faster using the same energy by going with the wind as there is less resistance to your motion.

The problem with what you are describing above is that resistence is no factor. When light (photons) come into contact with matter they are either absorbed (temporarily then ejected in a random diriection) or out-right reflected. This has no impact on the speed of the photon itself.
edit on 30-6-2011 by defuntion because:
edit on 30-6-2011 by defuntion because: Edit to mention that I did flag your thread because I like the topic...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Op I think you are very right. Not sure which way current science errors bit I believe it is by a great magnitude. This goes for carbon dating as well. The only constant is there is no constast and the measuring methods all depend on constant rates of decay. Science is like religion in many aspects. It is not always the correct thing that is being taught as the truth.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

who is to say that the further "out" one goes the "bigger" one gets due to the spacing of our molecules, we might not even notice it since everything else out there is also "bigger".

Nobody that I know. I do ascribe to the idea that space can expand faster than c, because space by its very definition is massless.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The doppler shift or redshift equals distance is totally wrong to start with, and has been proven so. There are hundreds of celestial objects with higher redshift in FRONT OF objects with lower redshift.

Redshift equals distance is WRONG. Period. This is where the expanding universe, and consequently the Big Bang theories come from. Note that they are THEORIES, not FACTS, yet are taken as facts. Therefore our ideas about how far away stars are from us are also wrong.

The "membrane" we are living inside is what's called a "double layer". We call it the magnetosphere on Earth, for the Sun it's the Heliosphere. The Voyager craft are ready to penetrate it, and see what's up.

Speed of light is nonsense. That's a whole other kettle of fish, but Einstein has led science down the wrong path for one hundred years. Science has been taken over by mathematicians, doing "thought experiments" and coming up with new equations to explain everything. However, the universe doesn't always agree with their equations, so then they have to make stuff up like dark matter and dark energy. THis is the problem.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2011 by CaptChaos because: sp

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Nobody that I know. I do ascribe to the idea that space can expand faster than c, because space by its very definition is massless.

i didnt say it was expanding at any specific rate, its more the fact that if the universe was a pin head at an incompreshensable density of mass and matter, who is to the say that the 'rules' the expanding desbris leaves isnt bound by the same spacial 'rules' as it flys off, perhaps the 'rules' of universe have expanding to accomodate the mass that was edjected in all directions.

In that sense its easyer to think about the effects of time dialation or mass differences, the explosion of the big bangs rules are the same in the infinate mass piont then as they are spread out now.

wow its late and i should probably shut up now.

Guy below me very much on the same lines of what i mean, our bubble of space vs. whats out side, both closer to the center of the big bang to the farest reaches on the edge as waves and matter rocket out into the unknown.
We are slaves to our own perception.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Biigs because: added edit text

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

But your assuming that our measurements of the background radiation are accurate. we still only know for sure the physics of our solar system. we still do not know for certain that everything beyond our membrane acts in the same manner as from within.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Carbon dating is for very recent earthly matter, unreliable beyond 25,000 years, (some say as little as 14,000 years). There are other methods for dating things in billions of years though, just not carbon dating.

Celestial dating relies on a finite speed of light, tries to account for gravitational lensing, but there are a myriad of areas that lensing is not observed.

c does not change speed, it can only change direction, anyone with glass or water knowledge knows this.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Theres research to surgest that the speed of light is not the "fastest" particle/wave we know of.

Right, and I've previously stated how gravitational force (acting FTL) transfers energy, and since E = mc^2 that is technically already mass/energy travelling FTL.

Originally posted by Biigs
Theres also research to surgest the rate at which isotopes decay is entirly dependant on where in the universe it is, id be more specific here but the research is kinda new.

Personally, I think that isotope decay is directly related to solar neutrino bombardment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join