It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hole punch clouds cause more rain?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A paper has been published the apaprently shows that multiple hole punch clouds made by aircraft climbing and descending might be creating more rain - see this Science Daily article

as I understand it, as aircraft pass through clouds that are made up of super-saturated ice or water, they provide nucleus for the moisture to precipitate out and become ice/hail/snow or rain or virga.

OK - so it's not chemtrails, it's not actually anything being "sprayed" at all - although maybe exhaust provides some of the nucleation - and it happens whether contrails are visible or not.

But I'm sure someone will want to know this to add it to soem list of bad things somewhere, and I'd hate to be accused of hiding information!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Altocumulus and cirrostratus are not naturally rain-clouds. It seems this effect could trigger that rain, so air traffic in landing and taking off would be somehow changing cloud's nature. Interesting, thanks for sharing.

edit on 30/6/11 by AboveTheTrees because: that's not geoengineering

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sounds like the same thing Cloud Seeding does

Governments have been doing it for a while now, especially in areas of low rain fall from what I understand.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667

Yes cloud seeding is common - not just governments, but ski-field operators and farmers often hire such services (as I understand it).

there are multiple threads on here about cloud seeding - especially involving Weather Modification Inc - you can see at least 1 on hte front page of this forum right now!

ETA: I note from the article that they're not actually sure of exactly how much extra precipitation this might cause yet
edit on 30-6-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
as I understand it, as aircraft pass through clouds that are made up of super-saturated ice or water, they provide nucleus for the moisture to precipitate out and become ice/hail/snow or rain or virga.

It's actually super-cooled water. Very tiny drops of water can exist as liquid at temperatures well below freezing. The passage of the aircraft disturbs the cloud, causing it to freeze, and droplets to join together. This spreads, making a hole. The ice then falls, and I suspect the actual seeding is done to clouds BELOW the hole.

So when you see pretty pictures of fallstreak holes, then that's not creating more rain. It's when the hole is hidden above some rain cloud.

It also sounds like it's a very minor and localized effect.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
yes but they cause ACID rains because of polution

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by elizabeth2010

Acid rain is caused by pollution in the atmosphere being picked up by rain - the cause of the rain itself is pretty much irrelevant.

The pollution is almost entirely caused by industrial exhaust - especially the burning of coal, most of which is done to produce electricity

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Some exemples of hole punch clouds:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This is an interesting comment to place in the middle of an article of this nature.

Such porous cloud covers, induced by aircraft, have been documented for decades -- and they are sometimes mistaken for rocket launches or U.F.Os, like the ominous saucer-looking cloud that hovered over Moscow in 2009, prompting all sorts of speculation and conspiracy theories.

It is unlikely that this phenomenon affects the global climate.

It seems like it would affect local weather and climate though.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncinus

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

It's actually super-cooled water. Very tiny drops of water can exist as liquid at temperatures well below freezing. The passage of the aircraft disturbs the cloud, causing it to freeze, and droplets to join together. This spreads, making a hole. The ice then falls, and I suspect the actual seeding is done to clouds BELOW the hole.

So when you see pretty pictures of fallstreak holes, then that's not creating more rain. It's when the hole is hidden above some rain cloud.

It also sounds like it's a very minor and localized effect.

What Model of Aircraft is that in your Name pic? Is it real?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
What Model of Aircraft is that in your Name pic? Is it real?

It is not real, it's an Airbus, A340-642, with extra engines added (and hence extra contrails).

www.airliners.net...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
OMG How long has it been?
3 or 4 months at least. I can't believe you're still here spouting your deny, deny, deny and if that fails you lie. What foolishness are you up to now Aloysius?

I guess you don't really care about the truth as long as you get to sit here and collect your paycheck.

Here's my favorite hole punch cloud video. Enjoy..

and here's my favorite chemtrail video just for you. Have a nice day

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew

That's a great video because it very clearly illustrates the fundamental misconception that 90% of chemtrail believers seem to have: that if you see a short trail next to a long trail, then the short trail is a contrail, and the long trail is a chemtrail.

This is entirely wrong.

Contrails can be both short and long. The length varies based on the engine type, the power settings, and temperature and humidity, which vary greatly in just a few hundred feet of altitude.

Hence you'd expect to see short contrails most of the time when long contrails are present.

Can anyone one the chemtrail side explain WHY you think contrails can't persist and spread?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
OMG How long has it been?
3 or 4 months at least. I can't believe you're still here spouting your deny, deny, deny and if that fails you lie. What foolishness are you up to now Aloysius?

Ah....."welcome" back Matty.

Are you actualy going to give us any real evidence this time?

I guess you don't really care about the truth as long as you get to sit here and collect your paycheck.

and so the slander begins already......no evidence, personal attacks....

Please tell me where I can apply for this job, and what hte pay and conditions are....or alternatively you cloud admit that you are lying again.....lol...like you ever did even when caught competely red handed manufacturing evidence.

Ah how we've missed you......not much at all really - sadly there are plenty of other people who believe the chemtrail hoax.

And didn't you get het memo that you're supposed to be quiet about chemtrails until September 1?? Aren't the conspiracy head honcho's keeping you in the loop any more??

That's sad - they told me!!

Here's my favorite hole punch cloud video. Enjoy..

Well at least you arent' obviously making up false claims this time - that's nice for a change.

So tell me - how is it you know that the long contrail contains anythign other than water vapour? after all clouds can last a long time and they are water vapour - so why can't contrails?

Indeed since clouds DO last a long time surely it is the SHORT contrail that you should be most suspicious of - it "obviously" is not water vapour because we know that water vapour DOES last a long time!!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees
Altocumulus and cirrostratus are not naturally rain-clouds. It seems this effect could trigger that rain, so air traffic in landing and taking off would be somehow changing cloud's nature. Interesting, thanks for sharing.

edit on 30/6/11 by AboveTheTrees because: that's not geoengineering

Actually altocumulus can produce rain on occasions, but hole punch clouds are actually caused by two things. One being the plane theory and the other being virga (precipitation not reaching the ground) falling from cirrus through a layer of altocumulus.

Technically Virga is precipitation

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Chinese scientists figured out how to use Microwaves to create holes in cloud cover so their spy satellites can see the United States.

Thus DOD's chemtrailing over America won't block Chinese spy satellites any more.

Aircraft passing thru clouds have powerful radar in their nose cones emitting high amounts of energy which will also disrupt clouds..causing rain. Every year they put more powerful radar in aircraft.

At some point clouds could cease to exist due to the energy being emitted by mans machines.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

So you think that the "weather radar" in aircraft is actually used to disperse clouds??

Why do you think that??

With all the thousands of airliners now flying euipped with such radar, is ther any evidence that ther are/is fewer/less clouods around now than, say, 30 years ago?

top topics

join