It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Govs PR Campaign to play down radiation at fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If you wondered why the nuclear accident at Fukushima has been played down in the msm then this is part of the reason -

Two days after the earthquake and tsunami at Fukushima the UK Govermnent drew up a PR plan to play down the radiation at Fukushima in order to protect its own nuclear programme.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
this is probably standard practice all around the world but they dont really need to play it down as we do not have major fault lines in the uk.

i bet if this happened when labour were in power, then it would have been the times or something reporting it but because it happened when the tories are in power then it is the pro labour guardian that is writing an article about this.

i still think it is wrong for them to play it down as it is quite obviously out of control and should still be big news, but we cant blame a government from trying to reduce panick in a nation that couldnt really be any further away from japan without being in space.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

It's not a matter of the government trying to allay unnecessary panic. It's the nuclear-vested state and multinationals working overtime to promote a genocidal technology. Kudos to the Guardian for offering a rare peep into how it's done.

Anyone watching the story unfold over the last few months could detect how thoroughly manipulated the media presentation of it has been, so it's nice to see some of the dirty back-chat exposed.

I'm sorry you bought the industry propaganda that UK plants are safe because Britain doesn't have massive earthquakes. What makes you think the next nuclear disaster will be caused by the same event as the last one?

As we speak, the Fort Calhoun plant is threatened by inland flooding and the Los Alamos nuclear lab by encroaching fires. How, in all seriousness, can our governments simultaneously promote an ever-present threat of global terrorism together with a technology that's vulnerable to catastrophic sabotage? Sabotage which could lay waste to a small island like Britain.

Nuclear power is an economic absurdity when accident insurance, decommissioning and safe waste disposal costs are factored in; which, of course, they never are. Nuclear accidents are something of a side-issue against the hazard of massive quantities of accumulated long-lasting, high-level waste that children of the post-nuclear age will have to cope with.
edit on 30-6-2011 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Posted this on the monster thread (www.abovetopsecret.com...) also, but think applies here as well:

Originally posted by imlite
More information on UK Government disinformation concerning Fukushima.

Secret e-mails released concerning Western Government cover up and disinformation.

Governments didn't want Fukushima to derail nuclear power plans.

Guardian article

136 secret e-mails

Wonder if the MSM will pick up on this or will it be a Guardian exclusive again?
edit on 30/6/11 by imlite because: (no reason given)

Nice find! It's about what we suspected was going on and it's nice to see some of the evidence popup.

Guardian article

Louise Hutchins, a spokeswoman for Greenpeace, said the emails looked like "scandalous collusion". "This highlights the government's blind obsession with nuclear power and shows neither they, nor the industry, can be trusted when it comes to nuclear," she said.

About sums it up I think, but it's more a matter of what people want to believe. If believing in something causes discomfort, most folks simply choose not to believe even when the grim reality smacks them in the temple. PR companies have known for ever that facts are pretty much irrelevant to the masses.

Effective "demand gen" (generate demand for your product or message) is far more important than any facts and "positioning" is the cornerstone of demand gen. In the case of nuke it was getting firmly positioned as a "clean green" alternative to coal (much to the horror of the 60's nuke protesters who knew the truth) and its a subject that the post-chernobyl millennials don't have a history with and don't give a crap about (generally) and it will take something like Fuku to knock it out of this position, if it moves much at all. The reason why milliennials matter in this context is, yes, they represent least significant voter block, but are much more likely to protest and influence. 30 - 45's are baby/home makers = want/seek stability don't tend to protest or 'rock the boat'.

I have a feeling this position will nudge somewhat in the short-tail as govs find it hard to sell nuke, but rebound again in time due to the massive distract and disinfo compaign nuke is currently engaged in. Make no mistake MASSIVE amounts of $$$$$$$$$ are likely being injected, social media is a logical major target as are alternative sites like ATS (educated guess - if I was running the campaign that's what I'd do). Especially debunking any 'off message' ideas that might get some traction in a broader context (truth doesn't really matter).

Unless there is a massive boom (as I said a while back no boom = no doom) and thousands start keeling over all at once from something easy to graphically and visibly connect to Fuku (ie: not pneumonia) it is inevitable they will win the long-tail. Too many governments tied up in nuke for weapons and energy. Perversely it may take a boom to win the PR war (horrific as that sounds, but believe me what is happening now is just, if not more deadly), and that is, in fact, what "Big Nuke" is so desperately trying to avoid with all their fiddling around, ie: anti-nukes winning the PR war via a "spectacular" and visibly deadly radiological (nuke, not hydrogen based) accident. Believe it or not Tepco/JapGov & Big Nuke has been brilliantly successful at winning this PR war thus far 'managing' with sawdust and peanut butter 3+ full meltdowns without so much as a "run for the hills" or "cut their balls off" from the MSM and masses.

We are the unfortunate irraidiants (yes my new word) and all of us will now play a higher stakes game of chance with cancer and early death, the risks genetically escalating in future gens, and believe me the attempt to connect cancer & heart disease to lifestyle (not environment) is intentional. Machiavelli would be orgasmic at sheer brutal calculation of this plan. This is the price we pay for allowing ourselves to be ruled by insane sociopaths and ignoring our instincts and common sense. What makes me feel a little bit like SHOOTING A FEW POLITICIANS and MANDARINS IN THE BALLSACK is the thought most of the little kids and folks they were supposed to represent and who will die from Fuku will have no idea they were murdered. For the sake of weapons, war and the almighty buck.

Weston: AECL pulls plug on costly reactor project

No mention of Fuku, but pulling the plug on ACR1000 after $300 million in, thanks feds for wasting our cash on what was a bad idea to begin with.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilAxis
I'm sorry you bought the industry propaganda that UK plants are safe because Britain doesn't have massive earthquakes. What makes you think the next nuclear disaster will be caused by the same event as the last one?
That's a good point. Tsunamis are rare in the Atlantic Ocean, but they do happen. The last one happened so long ago most people don't remember it. But it would be foolish to think it can't happen again.

Tom Burke, a former government environmental adviser and visiting professor at Imperial College London, warned that the British government was repeating mistakes made in Japan. "They are too close to industry, concealing problems, rather than revealing and dealing with them," he said.
The fox guarding the henhouse has never been a good idea. The regulatory agencies in each country need to be more independent and regulate.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by this story, but I'm not. It's all too predictable as anyone who has watched the way MSM has downplayed this incident can attest.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by EvilAxis
That's a good point. Tsunamis are rare in the Atlantic Ocean, but they do happen. The last one happened so long ago most people don't remember it. But it would be foolish to think it can't happen again.

Tom Burke, a former government environmental adviser and visiting professor at Imperial College London, warned that the British government was repeating mistakes made in Japan. "They are too close to industry, concealing problems, rather than revealing and dealing with them," he said.
The fox guarding the henhouse has never been a good idea. The regulatory agencies in each country need to be more independent and regulate.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by this story, but I'm not. It's all too predictable as anyone who has watched the way MSM has downplayed this incident can attest.

I believe a small tsunami happened this week in Cornwall in the UK so they can and do happen.

Although the cover up re the radiation and the leak emails and cover up and emails re climate change is indicitive of how many in the UK Government and media work.
edit on 1-7-2011 by keldas because: extra info

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Arnie & Helen Caldicott speak together

Unit 1 & 2 "Can't get any worse".
Measuring 400rems/hr (lethal within 1 hour).

Unit 3. "Still possibility of steam explosion".

Unit 3 & 4 SFP "Biggest fear is seismic aftershock". Are so structurally unsound a reasonably sized aftershock could bring them down. "If the buildings topple, my advice is to leave Japan".

Helen Caldicott: "There is no medical treatment. After it's in your body you can't get rid of it."

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
F.Y.I.

Vid....

Credit: Copied from Alien Abduct in www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join