It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Age

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen

Originally posted by Everlasting England
i wonder wot the land mass would look like? because if more water is frozen then that means that more land will be exposed wouldnt it? probably be able to walk across from england to france then make my way down to the equator where there nice temps are better take me shades

No Son,
Water expands when it freeze's so there would be less land mass.

Uh, actually the sea levels drop durring the ice ages because so much water is tied up in the ice sheets (glaciers).

Since the end of the last Ice Age, the sea level has risen by as much as 100 meters. On the other hand the weight of all of that ice caused the continents to sink downwards several meters.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Oh! the great lakes...nice. I'm fascinated with Lake Superior...I hear it can be very dangerous. The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I have yet to see the Great Lakes, but hopefully someday I'll make it!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000why do we have to care about the greenhouse effect?

The largest concentration of ozone-depletion is at the poles, coincidentally, so are the "polar" ice caps. Reduced ozone allows more heat in, more heat melts the ice, cooling sea temps and raising water levels; which is where Raphael_UO gave a superb explanation.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So why does the ozone deplete at the poles? I would logically assume it would happen over the areas that are producing the gases...big cities, things like that. Interesting it happens over the poles. Isn't our "hole in the ozone layer" over Antarctica? Perhaps it's the Alien and Preditor's fault...ha ha ha

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hmmm.. This ice age will kill off our species? Is this what most likely killed the Dinosaurs? If so, and assuming this will kill us, would there be a totally different species of animal/human or whatever populating Earth in the next hundred million years? That's pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
No kidding...but I thought a comet or something similar killed off the dinosaurs? Perhaps a comet will kill us too...and then cause an ice age.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ess Why Kay
Hmmm.. This ice age will kill off our species? Is this what most likely killed the Dinosaurs? If so, and assuming this will kill us, would there be a totally different species of animal/human or whatever populating Earth in the next hundred million years? That's pretty cool.

Humans have lived and survived during several Ice Ages, and I do not doubt that we will survive the next one. And a good portion of our technology will survive as well unless we start colonizing the solar system soon then humanity will become immune from all earth born catastrophies. All we would have to worry about then is Asteroids and Novas.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen

Originally posted by Everlasting England
i wonder wot the land mass would look like? because if more water is frozen then that means that more land will be exposed wouldnt it? probably be able to walk across from england to france then make my way down to the equator where there nice temps are better take me shades

No Son,
Water expands when it freeze's so there would be less land mass.

ummmm i think he meant it as all the water would get sucked to the colder part there would be more land in the warmer parts duh

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join