It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford prison experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am curious what you all think of this experiment and how it plays out in a society which grants certain members similar authority as in this program over the rest of the population
www.prisonexp.org...
Do the results of this experiment translate into some of the reports of abuse of authority we see regularly?

Additionally there is this work examining people's response to an authority figure telling them to do (believed) harm
The Millgram experiment probed peoples willingness to do perceived harm for an arbitrary benefit to the pain recipient. It demonstrates how willing people will harm others if they feel it is for a greater good.
en.wikipedia.org...

Given these strong examples does the same translate into an innate abuse of authority by those carrying it? Do these scientific studies carry weight in application to real world conditions? If so is more authority an answer to social ills?
seed

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I believe so, I studied this in one of my psychology classes and uk channel 4 or bbc replicated zimbardo's prison study

en.wikipedia.org...

I think we are like wells with limitless potential, our environmental triggers and gene's dictate what is pulled out from that well

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
And those people are not even specifically trained to act that way - i believe with cops it`s much worse and they are additionally brainwashed to view people as enemies.

join