It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Makes sense to me, re bugs. I flagged and unflagged this thread the first day I posted too.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This won't help because people still will flag ridiculous things. It's not the flag system so much as it's the people.

edit on 2-7-2011 by Throwback because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

The flag system is kind of stupid, every time a "OMG We're all gonna' die!!!!!1" thread comes up it gets hundreds of flags.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Maybe we cannot unflag because it is board business.

I flagged a very old thread earlier, and there is no option to deflag.

But I flagged a thread from yesterday today and got the option to unflag.

I was reading the last part of this thread looking into why I couldn't un-flag this thread once I had flagged it.
All I found were others with the same problem.

Now with your new information I have a theory. Maybe the un-flag isn't retroactive.

It would make sense that there is a structure created with every new thread that contains, among other things, all the rules allowed in a particular thread. That way changes made go into affect and are carried forward. Course, I'm just speculating.

I'm off to try another thread...

Edit: Ooops, just noticed that someone posted about flagging and un-flagging this thread at the top of the page.
There must be another explanation.
edit on 2-7-2011 by LazyGuy because: New Info

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

I un-flagged this thread once, then came back and flagged it again and couldn't un-flag.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
reply to post by LazyGuy

I un-flagged this thread once, then came back and flagged it again and couldn't un-flag.

OK, that just doesn't make sense. I only flagged once and couldn't un-flag.

OK, I gotta ask. Where is the new un-flag button?
I'm assuming it would be in the logical place.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ea40a06aa90.png[/atsimg]

EDIT: OK, I guess I should have tried flagging another thread before asking about the new button.
I flagged another thread and the un-flag button is right where I figured it would be.

edit on 3-7-2011 by LazyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Exactly. Personally, I don't bother with it or any other of the stats.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

reply to post by LazyGuy

This threads become ATS's Venus Flag trap

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

reply to post by LazyGuy

This threads become ATS's Venus Flag trap

This as a truly sub-par comment for a 'Gold Level Contributor'....SHAME!!!

All in all, I think this is now lame. I personally used flags as a way of seeing whether it was worth reading into a thread. Now people can unflag if the OP somehow offends them or for whatever stupid reasons can now be given, along with the behind-the-scenes flag controlling of threads that deserve or are given false attention to push a covert agenda.

Not entirely happy.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Nice to see you guys found a middle ground.There have been times I have regretted flagging some threads.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

To be blunt I honestly don't care about flags. I wish they would get rid of them. People put too much value on them. You can't do anything with them!! It should be about content not how many flags a thread has. Many if the higher flagged threads lately are crap and the good ones are lost so I don't care all that much if u can give one or take one or if u can't flag a thread. It's irrelevant to reading on here to me but it's obvious some get all sensitive over flags.

I follow the forums I like same with members and threads.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I agree Mblah, stars and flags don't really mean that much to me either. You know who you get on with and who you don't without resorting to looking at someone's post count, now give me a Star - oh wait you can't in this forum.

By the way, Hiiiiii
Where have you gone?

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well you are not wrong on that.

The point is that the flags are supposed to be about the value of the content, but often are just an empty accolade.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just a thought: What if once a month full members were granted 1 GOLD FLAG. This would be allow the member to award a GOLD FLAG to his most favorite thread of the last month. 12 such flags a year, and if you don't use it, you lose it. You get the flag on the first of the month and must use it before the first of the next month. No pressure. If you don't use it, no big deal. If you do, then you've given someone a great boon. Also, you cannot award your own thread, of course.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

FORCE ASSUME CAJOLE

May I use that as a band name? Love it, and AGREE with your point on long-time lurkers being able to flag without posting. I didn't want to post (read:get involved ) but shoot, once that thread hit me and I had to, I just went ahead an even used my NAME as my HANDLE. Oh well, i can't take it back..
But I CAN take flags back, which is good.
edit on 14-7-2011 by kkrattiger because: as, not is

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Like ghostlancer's Gold Flag.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I Agree and can relate with the above - Thanks Granuaile

No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.)

I will also be creating more of the above in order to obtain my 20 posts, as for reason given by Granuaile above

2nd post

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What about adding an expire date to a flag. So if you flag something your flag expires 48h or 96h later. If you still think that this thread is important (and still read it) you can reflag it.

Maybe add another counter. Total flags and current flags. So you can sarch for the long time most important thread and the current important things.

If flags expire and if it't possible to search according flag count you can generate alist of the currently most important topics. Of cause this won't help against all those ppl flagging their 'Help me I'm an alien' topics but at least those flags will vanish as they won't reflag this topic (at least I hope so)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The new system has been going for a little while now and I'm curious whether ATS members have been using it.

Have you unflagged anything? If so, why/how often?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
ok, I'm having a problem with the flag system, in that every thread I navigate to has an 'unflag' button, but no 'flag it' button...I've tried a different browser with the same result. anyone else having this issue?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join