Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I think this is a good idea as there are threads getting flags that do not deserve them.

Especially those that espouse nonsense.

This situation will not change.

Those that flag spam will continue to do so and nobody can unflag those flags except the flaggers in the first place.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Yay... I have been wanting this. See the alert button is right below the Flag button.. I cannot tell you how many times in my passion to alert a hideous thread that I inadvertedly Flagged it. This solves that problem. Huzzah!

I like the idea of 20 posts before you flag. While I understand what Puterman was saying about lurkers, I just don't see a lurker as a contributing member. If they don't contribute, even a tiny bit, then why should they be allowed to flag?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I love it. I know I haven't been here to long but I like the changes it will give the more important topics the credit it deserves instead of a bunch of flags for the sake of flags.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAGx1981
I love it. I know I haven't been here to long but I like the changes it will give the more important topics the credit it deserves instead of a bunch of flags for the sake of flags.

How would that happen? If someone feels the compulsion to flag a thread, they are the only person who can unflag it.

I personally do not see the point of this, but others do so I guess some people will have fun with it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

There is no denial going on, no member is denied the right to flag. They just have to meet a post quota. I have read the eloquent posts on why this is unfair to these lurkers, and I disagree. The flag system is apparently for participating members, the lurkers or silent majority are not actively participating but silently participating. This is how I see it. Flagging is an active part of participating, and those of us who are active here get this perk so to speak.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

SaturnFX - ROFL about your explanation of the new un-flag system. (I am a scientist).

I think this is a good thing, and with the 30day window to un-flag a thread, not too much room for immature or vindictive behavior. Let's hope so at least

It can be a daunting task to go through this site at times, so let's not "hope" this new system helps to put better quality content on the home page, let's MAKE it happen by using the system properly.

Have to give them credit for paying attention to everyone, and actually doing something about it. Thanks again ATS.

Still don't even have 20 posts (I'm trying not to post just for the sake of posting), so I'm not sure my opinion counts yet... but there it is.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I think this is a good idea as there are threads getting flags that do not deserve them.

Especially those that espouse nonsense.

I think some may be confused here.

If some are looking for an option to "UNFLAG" a thread they haven't "Flagged" in the first place as a sign of disapproval then they will be sadly disappointed. You can only "Unflag" a thread that you yourself have flagged in the first place.

I never flag a thread without thoroughly reading the OPs content. If the thread deteriorates from there by others conflicting/controversial/immature contributions then that reflects on the individual who is posting such nonsense but not the initial post IMO.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You are at liberty to disagree, just as I am at liberty to say that it is unfair on people who have been members long term and do not feel for whatever reason that they can post.

If it is your position that you are unable to empathise with them then I guess you will just need to continue thinking only of yourself and how this matter affects you personally.

Unfortunately your statement:

no member is denied the right to flag

is simply not true.

In addition it is not a perk. Perhaps you should re-read the reason for flagging and the definition of the work 'perk'. As Granuaile said the member receives no benefit from flagging. It is not therefore a perk, whereas the ability to send u2u messages is.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
hmmmm

These flags. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these before.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
hmmmm

These flags. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these before.

No?

They've been around for a while

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
does this works retroactively for the last 2 years?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Flagged, Un-Flagged, and then re-Flagged. Excellent change!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Very Nice!! Never seems to surprise me, ATS is getting better all the time! Very innovative idea, and it is this very
thing that keeps ATS a cut above their competition!

Rock on!!
Pax.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
In my time participating here, I could not think of one thread that I would like to "Unflag". I dont give flags to anything, as far as I understand flagging is for the appreciation of the information posted by the OP, and stars are for individuals that participated with a post that you may agree with.

IMHO, it would have been better to have a "disagree" button, as in many outrageous threads, members hide behind their stars and flags, and not posting, but a disagree button can show how even though they are getting stars and flags, some of us still disagree, without derailing or one word posts.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
By the way I think unflagging is a good way to watch how the story evolves but, I would like to see some amount of time to reject flagging?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think this is a psyop

See how many of us can resist pushing the red button.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Now THAT is the best idea I have read on this thread, and would certainly put a bee in the bonnet of the cliquey "posters-who-may-or-may-not-be-agents-of-disinformation-using-sock-puppet-accounts-to-get-their-agendas-looking-all-popular-n-stuff..."

Skeptic Overlord - until you action such a 'disagree' button, there will be ways around the system that allows BS starring and flagging.

Sorry dude, but it seems that will be the only way.

MY TWO CENTS - - - - - >

How about making it so that a person can only disagree with an OP, but if they do so they cannot then go on to flag/ unflag/ comment on or star anything in the thread? A self-limitation for the sake of making a point in a non-confrontational way.

Sounds genius to me... Well, I thought of it so that stands to reason..

People would really think hard about whether they wanted to sacrifice all posting privileges on that particular thread in order to make a stand for their strong opinion on the matter. There would be no way to troll or bad-mouth, or get into an argument after 'disliking', hence it still stays civilised....

Hurray for my idea! Vote for me!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
I think this is a good idea but I do have one concern which may or may not make a big dent in the whole thing. But what if a member has many good posts, and flags, but down the road, screws up and becomes hated, then members decide to gang up and unflag the crap out of said member on any post they can search for. Other than that, seems like a good idea I guess, I am all for it. Time will tell.

Deebo

This was the same concern I had.

Edit: oops never mind, just saw the thirty day limit post. Don't mind me
edit on 1-7-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't agree with the un-flagging.

Not only will it be hard to keep up with a person's contribution value, but it also just.....

doesn't make sense.

Please don't change the flagging system.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

Wouldn't it be simpler to just write a well thought out intelligent rebuttal in opposition? Then your counter argument would {if it were truly a well supported counter-view} should in theory receive "stars" from those whom you believe {Supposedly Silent opposition} supported your views and stance which would demonstrate the same thing...

No?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join