It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
We understand that there has been some degree of concern and supposed controversy regarding the Flagging system on AboveTopSecret.com. Over the years, we've not considered making any changes, as in our (owners/staff) eyes, the system is operating as it should. However, ATS and our membership evolves, and from time to time we review aspects of ATS, and after some behind-the-scenes discussions, we've deployed some rather modest but ultimately significant changes to the Flagging system.

The Importance of Flags

A Flag is a valuable item on ATS. As a thread author, it's a vote of confidence from your peers, and an important nudge up the chain of current content to potential display on the site home. For members, it's your crucial signal to your fellow members who author threads that you feel their work is worthy.

In reality, because we do not (nor will ever) have down-voting in the form of negative Flagging, the ATS Flag is of the most importance to the members who award them. You hold the decision-making power as to what content rises to the top to be included on the pages that aggregate the highest-Flagged threads, such as the site home.

Members Can Now Take-Back Flags

Because of the value of the flag to the editorial flow of ATS, and the importance of the Flag to members who give them, we've now included the ability to take back a previously awarded Flag in the form of an "UN-FLAG" button.

As a thread evolves, often times the original point of the author either becomes more clear, or has become the inspiration for a follow-up discussion such that a member regrets their flag award. Now, you have the chance to take back your Flag... but still have the opportunity to Flag again should the thread improve.

Flagging Is For Full-Members

Also, if you can't start a thread (a new account with less than 20 posts), you can't Flag a thread. We understand there has been some concern over the possibility of the formation of sockpuppet accounts for no reason other than to Flag one's own threads. This is a very logical and graceful way to make that process much, much harder.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is pretty cool..

I can imagine the "Un-flagging" system can work pretty well, especially for those annoying failed prediction threads in particular.

edit on 30-6-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well done!

Flagged and then unflagged. Just had to check it worked you understand

Edit to add.

Erm can we now have a "cash out" option, im not sure im comfortable with my flags being all vulnerable out there by themselves, I want to bank them

edit on 30-6-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I just noticed this feature on a thread I authored today, so although I haven't actually awarded any of the flags it seems I can un-flag it, is that the case (though not sure why you'd want to un-flag your own thread)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Will the unflagging modfy w and k levels? And are we supposed to be able to unflagg our own threads?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
very nice upgrade!!
i've felt like retracting my flag a few times and now i can!
thanks for this facility!

link   
Long time lurker, always intrigued with what you would eventually do with this issue. Seems like a good middle ground.

And stay tough on the no down flagging. You will have the same problem as flags have, but with more hurt feelings.

link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

When someone removes a flag from your thread, your flag-count also decreases by one.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

i agree that there should never be a negative flag or star system.

i also agree that a 'flag take back' button will be useful, sometimes a slip of the mouse or a misread of a thread, for whatever reason i think it's ok to have this 'flag take back' button

and i also want to emphasize i don't want this to ever lead to a negative flag system, or a negative star system.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Interesting change. Hopefully it will lead to threads with a bit more thought put into them. I know that will be on my mind.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Whilst this is maybe a good thing, especially with threads that turn out to be nothing more than a hoax, failed prediction or similar.

Is there not a slight worry that as members get over their initial reaction to a good thread, they may remove the flags if it descends into chaos as quite a few threads often seem too despite a really great topic (especially over the summer holidays)?

Just throwing my opinion in of course.

I have noticed the slight increase in mods of course, maybe that's just the preparation and if so then good call on both counts.

PS: that red "Un-flag" button is just dying for a press

edit on 30-6-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well done ATS, we need more of a "You said, we listened" style atmosphere so full credit given.

Once again, well done.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I see the un-flag option has just disappeared from my own thread (which obviously I have not flagged) so that answers my previous question (I think :puz

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

wow that was fast I just seen it 20 minutes ago in my own thread as well and abra ca dabra
Now I wonder if a timer in place is a good thing to unflag old threads or is it unflag to infinity. Imagine going from a gold member to zero flags. just to add

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea but I do have one concern which may or may not make a big dent in the whole thing. But what if a member has many good posts, and flags, but down the road, screws up and becomes hated, then members decide to gang up and unflag the crap out of said member on any post they can search for. Other than that, seems like a good idea I guess, I am all for it. Time will tell.

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

There was a brief window where you may have seen that while the new code was migrating across our servers. But not brief enough apparently.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Very cool. I didn't think you guy would do that actually. But hey, it is a great evolution.

link   

Excellent! Now the pixel problem has been solved!

Yay!

link   
reply to post by Rising Against

This may solve some of those issues. It could also lead to unforeseen problems and possible abuse. But only time will tell.

I think this is a good idea, by the way. If not for anything but to give it a try.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join